Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spam Mega Thread

• 07-08-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I'll start the first post but i will leave @syklops to open it :)

Just got this today,i should be very happy :

CONFIRM YOUR PRIZE!!!

This email is to notify you that you have won an Award Sum of
    979,650.90€uros in Euro million email lottery held on the 06/08/2014.

Please contact the Payment Director with your winning info: REF NUM. (No:
    GFC8110/3740) BATCH NUM. (HOL04-R591/XB30) WINING
    NUM.(NJP8182-131),Ticket Number: (0031-43650210) Lucky Number SPL
    (501/02658)Kindly send the following to the below contact for
    easyidentification/timely consideration:

1. Full Name:2. Direct phone:3. Date of Birth / Age:4. Occupation:5. Current
    Address (P.o Box not acceptable)By contacting:-

Contact Name: Ken Lawson
    Email: eumlot@aol.com

The Euro million email lottery is lawfullfully sponsored by the
    MicrosoftCorporation and is registered and protected by the Benelux
    trademark law.

Please note that the validity period of these winning is 21 working
    days;hence
    you are expected to make your claims immediately. Any claim not madebefore
    this date will be transfer to the suspense vault of the
    SpanishGamingBoard.
    Congratulations!!!
    Sincerely yours,
    Mrs brown (Dr)
    Director of Operation

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A fairly obvious one claiming to be BOI..

Bank of Ireland safeguards your account when there is a possibility that someone other than you tried to Sign On .
    For your security , we have temporarily prevented access to your account.

Restore your account here :

http://www.xyjiwei.gov.cn/www2.3.6.5.boionline.365.bank.com.online.authentication.activateFlow.bns.convid.13621466/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'll start the first post but i will leave @syklops to open it :)

I was waiting for a good one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

This email is to notify you that you have won an Award Sum of
    979,650.90€uros in Euro million email lottery held on the 06/08/2014.
    Congrats on your win!!!!!!

I have "won" also many times!! (uugghh)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Anyone getting any of these lately?

E-ZPass
    Service Center

Dear customer,

You have not paid for driving on a toll road. This invoice is sent repeatedly,
    please service your debt in the shortest possible time.

Get Invoice

Terms & Conditions | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Phishing Policy 2014 E-ZPass

Hehe shame on you KOOLAID for not paying your toll!!

Click that link now and get your invoice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Done deal are selling addresses, I wonder is that the source for the tolls one?

Might just email them back my cc details, sure that would be handier :)

This e-mail has been sent to you to inform you that we were unable to process your most recent payment.

Please check attached file for more detailed information on this transaction.

Pay To Account Number: **********56
    Due Date: 20/05/2014
    Amount Due: 940.48

IMPORTANT: The actual delivery date may vary from the Delivery by date estimate. Please make sure that there are sufficient available funds in your account to cover your payment
    beginning a few days before Delivery By date estimate and keep such funds available until the payment is deducted from your account.

If we fail to process a payment in accordance with your properly completed instructions, we will reimburse you any late-payment-related fees.

Copyright HSBC 2013. All rights reserved. No endorsement or approval of any third parties or their advice, opinions, information, products or services is expressed or implied by any information on this Site or by any hyperlinks to or from any third party websites or pages. Your use of this website is subject to the terms and conditions governing it. Please read these terms and conditions before using the website..

And another regular
    This is an automated email, please do not reply

Dear PayPal User
    Warning ! : You Must Confirm Your Information!

Please click on the following link to Confirm It:

Click here to Confirm Your Account Information.

You Must Confirm Your Information To Save It .

Thanks You For Helping,
    The PayPal Team

Need Assistance?
    We're happy to help by phone at 1-514-748-5774, Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00 pm EST, or by email
    Copyright 2014. All rights reserved. PayPal

Email ID: 15464

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

What do you be signing up to that's getting you all this spam? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

Mail from bogus open24 with a link to a phishing page...

Which is so true to the website it has the picture saying "Permanent TSB will never text or email you... ..asking you to log into your account" :confused::confused::confused:

KOOLAID,

Post the links they are giving you,we will gladly fill out thier forms!

WITH BOGUS DATA :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Not quiet spam, but I was surprised to get an email from 7dayshop within an hour or so or visiting their site for the purposes of this post. I didn't login during that visit. I made one purchase from them years ago, but I'm certain that I've reinstalled my OS since then, so I'm not sure how a cookie would link my visit to my email address.

So is it coincidence, or have they some way of linking my recent visit to my previous transaction & email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

RainyDay wrote: »
    Not quiet spam, but I was surprised to get an email from 7dayshop within an hour or so or visiting their site for the purposes of this post. I didn't login during that visit. I made one purchase from them years ago, but I'm certain that I've reinstalled my OS since then, so I'm not sure how a cookie would link my visit to my email address.

So is it coincidence, or have they some way of linking my recent visit to my previous transaction & email?

Or have your browser synched across multiple devices - for example if you use chrome and you are logged in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

This post has been deleted.
    No, dynamic IP from a domestic BB provider.
    timmywex wrote: »
    Or have your browser synched across multiple devices - for example if you use chrome and you are logged in

I don't explicitly synch across devices. I would be logged in to my gmail account within the browser all right, but surely it's not picking up my login from a different browser tab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Why do Nigerian Scammers Say They are from Nigeria?
    False positives cause many promising detection technologies to be unworkable in practice. Attackers, we show, face this problem too. In deciding who to attack true positives are targets successfully attacked, while false positives are those that are attacked but yield nothing.

This allows us to view the attacker's problem as a binary classification. The most profitable strategy requires accurately distinguishing viable from non-viable users, and balancing the relative costs of true and false positives. We show that as victim density decreases the fraction of viable users than can be profitably attacked drops dramatically. For example, a 10× reduction in density can produce a 1000× reduction in the number of victims found. At very low victim densities the attacker faces a seemingly intractable Catch-22: unless he can distinguish viable from non-viable users with great accuracy the attacker cannot find enough victims to be profitable. However, only by finding large numbers of victims can he learn how to accurately distinguish the two.

Finally, this approach suggests an answer to the question in the title. Far-fetched tales of West African riches strike most as comical. Our analysis suggests that is an advantage to the attacker, not a disadvantage. Since his attack has a low density of victims the Nigerian scammer has an over-riding need to reduce false positives. By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select, and tilts the true to false positive ratio in his favor.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I thought this one at least had the benefit of being somewhat original:
    am Mr. Nasser Omar from United Arab Emirates (UAE) seeking for your partnership in a very lucrative project to be invested in your country. Reply me if you are interested for further information.

Kind regards

Tб mй an tUasal Nasser Omar у Aontas na nЙimнrнochtaн Arabacha (UAE) a lorg do chomhphбirtнocht sa tionscadal an-brabъsaн a infheistiъ i do thнr fйin. Freagra a thabhairt dom mб tб suim agat chun tuilleadh eolais agat.

Cineбl Maidir
    The machine translation to Irish is a nice touch; shame about the character encoding. :)

Worst worded one I have ever seen.....

ATTN: SIR,

WE WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT WE ARE TRY TO CALL YOU TO PICK UP YOUR FUNDS OF
    £1,488,569.13 TODAY BECAUSE YOUR FUNDS WAS RELEASE TO YOU BY THE UK
    INTERNATIONAL LAURYNTO,IF YOU ARE READY TO COLLECT YOUR FUNDS AND WE ARE
    READY TO SEND YOUR INFORMATION TO YOU TO COLLECT YOUR FUNDS AS SOON AS
    POSSIBLE.

EXPECTING YOUR IMMEDIATE RESPONSE.

REGARDS,

DR BARRY GROOT
    +31 61 77 446 50

But hes a doctor....must be legit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

KoolKid wrote: »
    Worst worded one I have ever seen.....

ATTN: SIR,

WE WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT WE ARE TRY TO CALL YOU TO PICK UP YOUR FUNDS OF
    £1,488,569.13 TODAY BECAUSE YOUR FUNDS WAS RELEASE TO YOU BY THE UK
    INTERNATIONAL LAURYNTO,IF YOU ARE READY TO COLLECT YOUR FUNDS AND WE ARE
    READY TO SEND YOUR INFORMATION TO YOU TO COLLECT YOUR FUNDS AS SOON AS
    POSSIBLE.

REGARDS,

DR BARRY GROOT
    +31 61 77 446 50

Your reply should read:

I am Groot!

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Your reply should read:

I am Groot!
    Groot

First time I saw your post I was like :confused:, just googled it there. Never heard of it.

Anywho.

What to Do If You’ve Been Hacked (And How to Prevent It)

One of the better articles on this. More in it. May aswell put it in here.

KoolKid wrote:
    Ya right....... (Not the response they want!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just got a suspicious looking email from Revenue, which appears to be legit. :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

Worst one I have ever read....
    Hello PayPal customer,

We are sorry to inform you that you can not access all your paypal advantag es like sending money and purchasing,due to account limitation .

Why my account PayPal is limited?
    Because we think that your account is in danger from stealing and unauthori zed uses .

What can I do to resolve the problem?
    You have to confirm all your account details on our secure server by click the link bellow and following all the steps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

KoolKid wrote: »
    Worst one I have ever read....

I got a version of this in my email today, the grammar and spelling mistakes are hilarious. Do they think we all live under rocks, so obvious. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Anyone hear of this Company Tenjin & Associates. Japan. they have informed me that my current share value is $177,000 & to release the money I must send them $7800. I got a couple of Emails & phone calls by a person calling himself Samuel Booth.
    I invested €2000 in Pacific International 10 years ago but their worth nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I've just received three emails, one from Flyby and two from cheapo air with booking confirmation and flight itinerary to fly from Aberdeen to London.
    I'm a bit freaked by these as they look very legit.

Has anybody received mails from them?

Fingers crossed it just very sophisticated spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Check the headers the emails will not have originated in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Thanks FSL for responding.

I'm checking the headers of the mails now and I'm not seeing any other location other than the Uk.
    I'm used to receiving and dealing with spam but these three mails arrived within moments of each other. Starting with flight confirmation, then a booking receipt and finally a ticket number.
    They looks so much like the real thing, I'm worried they might be.

Advertisement