Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

neris wrote:
    2 from Wondery Sports wars & Inside Start Wars. Good listening if you can over the ads and dodgy voice overs

Only stumbled across Sports Wars the other day. Even though I have no interest in the NFL, I really enjoyed the Favre vs Rodgers story. Looking forward to listen to the rest of them now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

JAred Diamond was great, but Sam just seemed to repeat "You can't have a conversation about X without being called Y".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Una & Andrea's United Ireland:
    I listened to a few of these today (Antrim / Dublin, and might start Mayo in a while).

It's not nationalist (as the name may suggest).
    32 Episodes, 32 Counties, 32 questions.

https://open.spotify.com/show/13kfczldGsKoccxdWpJjIL?si=gh_62RDJS0mScha_RH0flA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Few episodes into the Charles Manson season of the You Must Remember This podcast. I knew the gist of the Manson story, but it's mindblowing to hear the extent of it. The podcast itself does a great job of tying the story to what Hollywood was like at the time. Really enjoying it - started listening after reading that you'd need to know the ins and outs of it to fully enjoy Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Searching for a horror podcast. I started listening to The Magnus Archives recently. On season 3 and very much enjoying it. Think little stand alone ghost stories where a few of them start to link together over the course of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gwildor

Here's a few horror pods that I listen too...

The Something Scary Podcast
    Scare You To Sleep

Both tell very good horror stories.

If you're looking for something along the same lines but a little more light hearted, try The Parapod. One of my all time favourite pods.
    fixxxer wrote: »
    Searching for a horror podcast. I started listening to The Magnus Archives recently. On season 3 and very much enjoying it. Think little stand alone ghost stories where a few of them start to link together over the course of the show.

Gwildor wrote: »
    Here's a few horror pods that I listen too...

The Something Scary Podcast
    Scare You To Sleep

Both tell very good horror stories.

If you're looking for something along the same lines but a little more light hearted, try The Parapod. One of my all time favourite pods.

Cheers, will give them a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I've just recently stumbled across Revolutions and it's incredibly good. Each season focuses on a different revolution, I'm about halfway through the French Revolution and it's well researched and presented. It's a period of history I have a lot of knowledge and interest in but I think it's also quite accessible! Looking forward to branching out into the other seasons too.

I've been catching up a lot on Red Handed, which is a true crime podcast that is really well done and has a good balance between famous cases and lesser known ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

has anyone been listening to Conan O Brien needs a friend, the first season was very good with excellent guests but the two Dana Carvey specials have been hilarious.

O Brien may not be too everyones taste but he can be alot looser on this as can his guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Few episodes into the Charles Manson season of the You Must Remember This podcast. I knew the gist of the Manson story, but it's mindblowing to hear the extent of it. The podcast itself does a great job of tying the story to what Hollywood was like at the time. Really enjoying it - started listening after reading that you'd need to know the ins and outs of it to fully enjoy Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Finished this - well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

L
    voldejoie wrote: »
    I've just recently stumbled across Revolutions and it's incredibly good. Each season focuses on a different revolution, I'm about halfway through the French Revolution and it's well researched and presented. It's a period of history I have a lot of knowledge and interest in but I think it's also quite accessible! Looking forward to branching out into the other seasons too.

I've been catching up a lot on Red Handed, which is a true crime podcast that is really well done and has a good balance between famous cases and lesser known ones.

Nice post, gonna give these two a listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

fixxxer wrote: »

TMA is good alright. Fair play to them for using a Creative Commons license also.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If anyone has deleted the Chernobyl podcast feed, they released 1 more update pod yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Pat Falvey interviewed on Ireland Unfiltered.
    He's hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Kermode and mayo film review with Geoff Lloyd as a stand in for Mayo...he was excellent IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

The Guardian long reads is worth subscribing to, of late the Trudeau and Air Conditioning episodes were worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://irrationalpublicradio.com/podcast/
    may amuse some of you!
    poss a bit like WWN or uncyclopaedia

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Subscribed to a new 1 that showed up in the recommended list on my app the other day, Espionage from parcast network. About spies and spy networks. Only in to the 2nd episode but its good listening

• Advertisement

fixXxer wrote: »

Thanks.

Should I start at the first one, or just randomly choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The Maamtrasna murders!
    The story of a murdered family, the trail that followed and a wrongful hanging in 1882.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

stoneill wrote: »
    The Maamtrasna murders!
    The story of a murdered family, the trail that followed and a wrongful hanging in 1882.

Is that a specific podcast dedicated to Maamtrasna? I know it was covered on the Irish History podcast.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thanks.

Should I start at the first one, or just randomly choose?

Start at the beginning and work through them. It's a slow burner but they weave together as it goes on.

The Stardust podcast by journal.ie is well worth a listen. Harrowing though.

Always refreshing to hear something other than an American accent on a podcast even if we can't pronounce our T's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

BBC World Service doing docs on Northern Ireland in 1969.

Quite sobering to listen to on the bus home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07sdcj7

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07rqhv0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The Stardust podcast by journal.ie is well worth a listen. Harrowing though.

Only one episode in and it's already living up to the praise I've heard. We've done fire safety in work, which has included reference to (and illustration of) Stardust, but this podcast certain shines a new perspective on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Una & Andrea's United Ireland:
    I listened to a few of these today (Antrim / Dublin, and might start Mayo in a while).

It's not nationalist (as the name may suggest).
    32 Episodes, 32 Counties, 32 questions.

https://open.spotify.com/show/13kfczldGsKoccxdWpJjIL?si=gh_62RDJS0mScha_RH0flA

I had a listen to this, and while I might not agree with everything Una has to say or writes. She writes well, is articulate and construct a reasoned argument.

But Andrea makes the whole thing unbearable, she is a vapid waste of space. And adds nothing to the podcast other "So hot babes", and her other ridiculous sub par part valley girl-part Ross O Carroll Kelly witticism.

AVOID

• Advertisement

Stardust episode 4 is probably the most powerful thing I've heard all year. Hard to put into words. Not heard 5 yet.

Advertisement