Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplug Network WRECKING my head - Help!

• 14-08-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7 ccarry167

Would greatly appreciate any help from techs-pert.
    I have a ethernet plug adaptor running from my Belkin Router. I have an additional plug downstairs connected to my pc. Wireless works perfectly downstairs. all laptops, iPad, iPhones etc all connect to the Belkin signal with NO problems.

Upstairs I have another (exact same make) ethernet plug. This plug is connected by ethernet cable to an Edimax range extender. The Ethernet plug lights are all on showing a connection (I presume) to the router downstairs.

All equipment upstairs picks up strong signal from the Edimax extender itself but won't pick up any internet connection. I've moved plugs, changed the cables and rebooted all until the cows come home. Nothing seems to work. :mad::confused:

Would anyone know what the fnuck is going on and what I'm doing wrong? All help greatly appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Have you tried the same set up downstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

OK, the easiest way is to track down the problem.
    Can you connect the homeplug downstairs directly into the NIC connector on a laptop to confirm the connection is working through the home plugs. Turn the wireless card off on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ccarry167

I knew I'd find a couple of geniuses on here...brought mac upstairs and hard cabled from the plug adapter...all working fine....that leaves me with why the range extender isnt working providing wireless (it had been and it's not old etc)...cheers guys

Well to be sure with the range extender, you can hardwire into one of the port on the range extender first, then turn off the wireless on the original router. Might just be an IP conflict between the extender, router or another device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Which model Edimax? If it's a EW-7416APn (or similar), it can be configured as an Access Point (bridge) or Wireless Range Extender (wifi repeater). For your setup, you need Access Point (bridge) mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Might be a stupid comment as I can;t quite make out what you're doing but don't those home plugs all have to be on the same braker?

The plugs upstairs will be on an independent circuit to downstairs.

Might be a stupid comment as I can;t quite make out what you're doing but don't those home plugs all have to be on the same braker?

No, Mine are set up the same. I have 1 upstairs running from the modem/router and one downstairs to 5 port switch for the rest of my wired devices. But I use the wireless signal from the router (N+) upstairs for all wireless devices. No set up required for the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats a common one, but seems not to be true. Supposedly even your neighbours can sometimes pick it up.

OP Test the upstairs plug with a cable, bypassing the router.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats a common one, but seems not to be true. Supposedly even your neighbours can sometimes pick it up.

Yes, My neighbour picked up mine, I have belkin homeplugs and he had edimax and we could see each others devices on our networks, so we both disabled DHCP and went with Static IP's, I also changed from the normal 192.168.*.***

Sup08 wrote: »
    Yes, My neighbour picked up mine, I have belkin homeplugs and he had edimax and we could see each others devices on our networks, so we both disabled DHCP and went with Static IP's, I also changed from the normal 192.168.*.***

The thing is, if he wanted to he could still just listen for packets and eventually farm out all your passwords.

With wifi the traffic is out there for all but encrypted, with powerline its out there for your neighbors and unencrypted. All it takes is one devious nerd.

• Advertisement

• ED E wrote: »
    With wifi the traffic is out there for all but encrypted, with powerline its out there for your neighbors and unencrypted. All it takes is one devious nerd.
    Modern Homeplugs all have hardware encryption. It may not be enabled by default and for the reasons you state it is definitely recommended.

Modern Homeplugs all have hardware encryption. It may not be enabled by default and for the reasons you state it is definitely recommended.

Yes, I have these ones

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=495008

and they have Security
    128-bit AES link encryption with key management for secure powerline communications
    Push-button security :D

Sup08 wrote: »
    Yes, I have these ones

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=495008

and they have Security
    128-bit AES link encryption with key management for secure powerline communications
    Push-button security :D

Still vulnerable when handshaking id assume, but thats pretty good.

ED E wrote: »
    Still vulnerable when handshaking id assume, but thats pretty good.

Every week I would hit the buttons to sync them with new encryption as my neighbour that connected before is a bit of a wiz on networking. JIK :cool:

Advertisement