Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

On the off chance that anyone needs a ticket I have one spare hill ticket. Pm me if anyone needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Missing the Ulster Final for the 2nd year running. And now a flight delay means I won't get to see any of it. Could be struggling to even hear the last 10 minutes.

All the best lads and safe travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Consecutive Ulster titles and obvious improvements from last year. Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Listening on from central Europe. Great win and still plenty to work on. Was it 11 different scorers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

While not ideal to concede a few soft scores late, it might not be a bad thing the scoreboard looked a bit closer than it might have. Will keep them focused on improving defensively for Super 8s.

EBG is just unreal to watch against defensive teams, the pace and power of his running is an unreal asset to have.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    While not ideal to concede a few soft scores late, it might not be a bad thing the scoreboard looked a bit closer than it might have. Will keep them focused on improving defensively for Super 8s.

Agree.

However, Super 8s are difficult compared to old competition. Much prefer straight into quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Agree.

However, Super 8s are difficult compared to old competition. Much prefer straight into quarters.

Absolutely. Was always a case that provincial champions could be well rested and face a team coming off the back of 2 games in 2 weeks, so not sad much advantage winning the province now.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

So are they in a group with Munster winners Kerry and two of the qualifiers winners or how does it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Triboro wrote: »
    So are they in a group with Munster winners Kerry and two of the qualifiers winners or how does it go?

Yep, fixtures are as follows:

Donegal v Meath/ qualifier (Ballybofey)
    Donegal v Kerry (Croke Park)
    Galway/ qualifier v Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Brego888

Yep, fixtures are as follows:

Donegal v Meath/ qualifier (Ballybofey)
    Donegal v Kerry (Croke Park)
    Galway/ qualifier v Donegal

And the dates:

Home in Ballybofey 13/14 July vs Meath/Round 3 winner

Croke park 20/21 July vs Kerry

Away 3/4 August vs Galway/Round 3 winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

At the game today, looked very much like donegal were well outnumbered in spectators. I'm hoping that it was a lot to do with the rally being on this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

So lads, is anyone getting excited yet? That was a supremely confident, impressive performance and we're just improving with each game. So much was right yesterday. The matchups were good, the tactics worked and even with all that, there is still plenty of room for improvement. Forget the final scoreline, this game was over well inside the first half.
    Most of the lads performed to the level we expect yesterday but a few deserve special mention.
    Patton: His kickouts are sublime. It's incredible the distance he can get with little or no backlift. Imho his kickouts are every bit as good as Cluxton in his prime. He made one mistake to concede a late goal but the game was done by then anyway.
    McGrath: Paddy was my motm. As downthemiddle suspected, he picked up McVeety and kept him quiet in the first half when it mattered. I was at the far end for the second half and McVeety did score a few points that end so he may have got a bit more room second half but Paddy still got in a brilliant block near the end to stop a goal. His energy knows no bounds. His runs in the first half created two great goal chances and he was unlucky with the second one. And to top it all off I think he might have made the most marks from kickouts in the game - who would have thought!
    McMenamin: He is growing all the time this lad, very impressed with him again.
    Odhran McFadden: What a way to make your debut! I thought he did very well on Reilly, limiting his influence considerably.
    Hugh McFadden: A lot of us didn't rate Hugh a few years back but it's fair to say he has proved us wrong. He was immense yesterday, bossing midfield and covering a lot of ground. It reminded me a bit of big Neil.
    Jamie Brennan: I said after the last round that Jamie is increasingly important to us and once again yesterday he proved that. He was by far our best forward again.
    Sideline: I have to hand it to Declan and the boys. This team is well drilled, well prepared and growing all the time. Kickouts are the best I have ever seen from a Donegal team, delivered exactly where they are expected and players are timing their runs really well. The match ups once again yesterday were spot on.

Some will say Cavan were poor or overawed or what have you but imo that takes away from what was a superb Donegal performance. We go into the super 8s as the team in form ... I just hope we can keep it going as other teams seem to be timing their momentum for a bit later in the summer.

Finally, we only heard coming home about the tragic death of Manus Kelly and that he was a close friend of Murphy so thoughts and prayers go to all affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

boxer.fan wrote: »
    At the game today, looked very much like donegal were well outnumbered in spectators. I'm hoping that it was a lot to do with the rally being on this weekend.

More to do with the fact it was Cavan's first final in 18 years I'd imagine, Cavan traditionally have very good support.

Great performance by Donegal yesterday, I think the occasion got the Cavan but Donegal were cruising and always had that extra gear to go though. Anytime in the second half Cavan looked like they would threaten a comeback Donegal nipped it in the bud fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Brego888 wrote: »
    And the dates:

Home in Ballybofey 13/14 July vs Meath/Round 3 winner

Croke park 20/21 July vs Kerry

Away 3/4 August vs Galway/Round 3 winner

Meath can't play the winner of offaly or laois so more likely that Tyrone or Mayo come into our super 8 group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’m getting excited!

Few things we need to address but if we avoid a really hard draw we should make the semi.

I’d be worried about getting Throne home and Mayo away. That would make it tough for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭henke

Some decade. Hard to believe they doubled there all time Ulster haul since 2011 and we could have at least one more if it wasn't for the wasted Rory era. Some response too from two bad defeats in 2017 Championship you wouldn't have fancied us to go back to back after that season. A lot of football to be played yet and hopefully we get some luck with the draw. I too am excited I honestly think they are planning for a crack at the Dubs. Lot of football to be played before that but good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    So lads, is anyone getting excited yet? That was a supremely confident, impressive performance and we're just improving with each game. So much was right yesterday. The matchups were good, the tactics worked and even with all that, there is still plenty of room for improvement. Forget the final scoreline, this game was over well inside the first half.
    Most of the lads performed to the level we expect yesterday but a few deserve special mention.
    Patton: His kickouts are sublime. It's incredible the distance he can get with little or no backlift. Imho his kickouts are every bit as good as Cluxton in his prime. He made one mistake to concede a late goal but the game was done by then anyway.
    McGrath: Paddy was my motm. As downthemiddle suspected, he picked up McVeety and kept him quiet in the first half when it mattered. I was at the far end for the second half and McVeety did score a few points that end so he may have got a bit more room second half but Paddy still got in a brilliant block near the end to stop a goal. His energy knows no bounds. His runs in the first half created two great goal chances and he was unlucky with the second one. And to top it all off I think he might have made the most marks from kickouts in the game - who would have thought!
    McMenamin: He is growing all the time this lad, very impressed with him again.
    Odhran McFadden: What a way to make your debut! I thought he did very well on Reilly, limiting his influence considerably.
    Hugh McFadden: A lot of us didn't rate Hugh a few years back but it's fair to say he has proved us wrong. He was immense yesterday, bossing midfield and covering a lot of ground. It reminded me a bit of big Neil.
    Jamie Brennan: I said after the last round that Jamie is increasingly important to us and once again yesterday he proved that. He was by far our best forward again.
    Sideline: I have to hand it to Declan and the boys. This team is well drilled, well prepared and growing all the time. Kickouts are the best I have ever seen from a Donegal team, delivered exactly where they are expected and players are timing their runs really well. The match ups once again yesterday were spot on.

Some will say Cavan were poor or overawed or what have you but imo that takes away from what was a superb Donegal performance. We go into the super 8s as the team in form ... I just hope we can keep it going as other teams seem to be timing their momentum for a bit later in the summer.

Finally, we only heard coming home about the tragic death of Manus Kelly and that he was a close friend of Murphy so thoughts and prayers go to all affected.

Totally agree with all the above. Brave move by management to put Odhran McFadden on Reilly who has been the Cavan link man, and it worked perfectly.I would not give much regards to the final scoreline. We probably added to it by introducing so many subs, but with it being a Ulster Final and it well won at that point hard to deny they were well entitled to get their run out. Even at that we were coasting in second gear and there were three more goals for the taking from our last three points if we needed them.
    I gave out a bit about our support coming up to the final, but on the day we were well represented. Cavan may have outnumbered us a bit, but with it being so long since their last appearance that is understandable.

We heard during the game about the tragic passing of Manus Kelly R.I.P. and the connection to Michael Murphy and that the news was kept from him until afterwards. Possibly why we seemed to be so long on the pitch 2nd half before Cavan came out. Saw Murphy with Karl Lacey in Donegal Town that night and he was very upset.
    I had been questioning here just what Rochford was bring to the squad and by chance I was introduced to Jamie Brennan`s father Sunday night and he had nothing but praise for him. He said the improvement in Jamie football and confidence wise was very much down to Rochford so it sounds as if he has been a great addition to the coaching staff.
    A great decade to be a Donegal supporter and really looking forward to the rest of this year and beyond. I don`t thing we have even seen the best of this team yet.

Has anyone listened to the GAA Hour recently with Colm Parkinson? I've always found it a bit irritating but his tone recently, on Donegal in particular, has just pushed me to unsubscribe.

A few weeks ago he branded Ryan McHugh a disgraceful diver - the same McHugh whose brain was bleeding from the sheer amount of impacts he was taking.

In the most recent episode he attacked players for making the most of fouls but then agreed with his co-hosts when they said that it's necessary from the player's perspective, otherwise fouls go overlooked and he agreed enthusiastically with this sentiment. Contradiction.

He's a bookmaker's pet and a charlatan. Right, I've had my moan. Glad to get it off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Has anyone listened to the GAA Hour recently with Colm Parkinson? I've always found it a bit irritating but his tone recently, on Donegal in particular, has just pushed me to unsubscribe.

A few weeks ago he branded Ryan McHugh a disgraceful diver - the same McHugh whose brain was bleeding from the sheer amount of impacts he was taking.

In the most recent episode he attacked players for making the most of fouls but then agreed with his co-hosts when they said that it's necessary from the player's perspective, otherwise fouls go overlooked and he agreed enthusiastically with this sentiment. Contradiction.

He's a bookmaker's pet and a charlatan. Right, I've had my moan. Glad to get it off my chest.

He's been very quick to get a few digs in to Donegal recently. Gave them no credit for the Tyrone game and dismissed us again in the latest episode. I'm getting particularly p!ssed off at him repeatedly singling out Ryan McHugh though

As much of a boll!x as he is, I'll still listen because of the other lads he has on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Parkinson is a clown and it is far more that Donegal he has a beef with, his lack of knowledge is comical at times - they even have him leading debates on hurling for god sake! Best off ignored or laughed at.

• Advertisement

Also gives Kerry a better chance than us of beating Dublin. I can't see it with that defence. If we were to play them I think we would know what were facing into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭doc_17

His guests do nothing but agree with him and I’ve been missing more and more of his shows lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Funny, I think he rates us highly enough and has said for a couple of years we have the potential to be a big player in the championship. Missed the stuff about Ryan McHugh though and naturally wouldn't agree.

On Donegal currently, there's a lot of shíte talk in the media and just generally out there. Dublin need to have some challenger and we're this years chosen one. Until we lose, and the knives come out. Wouldn't listen to them one bit. We can still end up in a group with tyrone kerry and galway and there's no guarantees of even getting out of the group yet nevermind being marked as the great white hope to beat the dubs.

On Donegal currently, there's a lot of shíte talk in the media and just generally out there. Dublin need to have some challenger and we're this years chosen one. Until we lose, and the knives come out. Wouldn't listen to them one bit. We can still end up in a group with tyrone kerry and galway and there's no guarantees of even getting out of the group yet nevermind being marked as the great white hope to beat the dubs.

This is true and it was Tyrone before we met them and could be someone else by the time the Super 8s are over. One game at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

henke wrote: »
    This is true and it was Tyrone before we met them and could be someone else by the time the Super 8s are over. One game at a time.

Exactly. See what the draw throws up and go all out to win the next game.

All Ireland's aren't won in June. I'd err on the side of caution about our chances of making the semis. Kerry always are dangerous and we don't know for sure who else will be in our group. I wouldn't listen to all the hype especially the so called pundits who almost always get it wrong. They always apply numerous caveats or maybes to their predictions.

Yes! This is actually something which is really annoying.

The Donegal team and us supporters did not and would not outwardly describe Donegal as the team to beat Dublin. That label was attached by others.

And yet Donegal are now getting harangued with ****e like ''they'll never beat Dublin doing what they did against Cavan!''. Hold on a second! Who said anything about beating Dublin? They did! Not us. The Super 8 groups aren't even finalised yet.

Yes! This is actually something which is really annoying.

The Donegal team and us supporters did not and would not outwardly describe Donegal as the team to beat Dublin. That label was attached by others.

And yet Donegal are now getting harangued with ****e like ''they'll never beat Dublin doing what they did against Cavan!''. Hold on a second! Who said anything about beating Dublin? They did! Not us. The Super 8 groups aren't even finalised yet.

So which is it? Do you want the media to big ye up as contenders or do you want them to dismiss ye?

Seems like no matter what the media do you will be offended by it?

This goes for all GAA counties and supporters btw so not a personal dig or even a Donegal one, every county is the same - its either they are bigging us up for a fall or we never get the recognition we deserve!!

Pogue eile wrote: »
    So which is it? Do you want the media to big ye up as contenders or do you want them to dismiss ye?

Labeling Donegal as the team most likely to beat Dublin is not something I have a problem with.

Labeling Donegal as the team to beat Dublin and then turning around and having a go at Donegal as if it was the county itself who made the declaration is something I have a problem with.

• Advertisement

Labeling Donegal as the team most likely to beat Dublin is not something I have a problem with.

Labeling Donegal as the team to beat Dublin and then turning around and having a go at Donegal as if it was the county itself who made the declaration is something I have a problem with.

But you have imagined the latter!

Advertisement