Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Elmo wrote: »
    Also covid helped those figures at this point there's only so much covid talk you can take. Would be interesting to know how news at 8 is doing.

I like the news at 8. Think they do a good job producing news programmes. I used like the Tonight show but I haven’t really watched it since it came back for that very reason - I’m limiting my Covid intake every day. I watched Ciara interview Niall Collins FF the other night and some other person (name escapes me now) and thought she was good. But I’ve found myself watching documentaries or comedy at night now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Family Fortunes next Sunday - a week late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

surely they need to send their scheduling intern back to school... all over the place random itv programmes that have already been shown 100 times pop up in prime time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭iseegirls

surely they need to send their scheduling intern back to school... all over the place random itv programmes that have already been shown 100 times pop up in prime time.

If you like Autopsies, then your choice last night was:
    9pm VM3
    12:30am VM2
    1am VM1

And for next Monday:
    9pm VM3
    12midnight VM3
    1am VM1
    2.30 VM2

Tonight on VM2
    8pm Heartbeat - Series 6 - First broadcast 24 years ago
    9pm A Touch Of Frost - Series 1 First broadcast 28 years ago

And the alternative to that schedule on VM3 is Vera - Series 1 - First broadcast 9 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    Tonight on VM2
    8pm Heartbeat - Series 6 - First broadcast 24 years ago
    9pm A Touch Of Frost - Series 1 First broadcast 28 years ago

And the alternative to that schedule on VM3 is Vera - Series 1 - First broadcast 9 years ago

I have no real problem with this as long as they know their audience. All of these shows are really for VM3, I am sure they could find other alternative repeats for VM2.

Can you imagine the faux outrage from the media if UTV Ireland carried on the way VM have done with WWTBAM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Could they not aim VM2 at the youth like E4 or would that not work.

Could they not aim VM2 at the youth like E4 or would that not work.

Because they're so dependent on the ITV Studios catalogue, if they tried that - they'd just end up being a mini ITV2, where Celebrity Juice and You've Been Framed would be on rotation.

3e did have Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, Futurama, The Middle, That 70s Show, 30 Rock and more only a few years ago. They gave up on Family Guy and American Dad once the ITV Studios programming became available - and so instead there's repeats of Midsomer Murder, Frost, Morse.

Because they're so dependent on the ITV Studios catalogue, if they tried that - they'd just end up being a mini ITV2, where Celebrity Juice and You've Been Framed would be on rotation.

3e did have Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, Futurama, The Middle, That 70s Show, 30 Rock and more only a few years ago. They gave up on Family Guy and American Dad once the ITV Studios programming became available - and so instead there's repeats of Midsomer Murder, Frost, Morse.

From what I can tell VM see the value of their daytime &news output, sports and ITV

Films are on rotation, with the odd import e.g schitts creek not sure how they have that.

From what I can tell VM see the value of their daytime &news output, sports and ITV

Films are on rotation, with the odd import e.g schitts creek not sure how they have that.

Just go to https://www.itvstudios.com/ - and you'll see Schitt's Creek at the very top - due to their Emmy wins recently.

They have actually showed some newer films - even a few premieres which was unheard of for a while for VM. Now, not such blockbusters, but films like Den Of Thieves and Sleepless (yes, I never heard of them either) have been premieres recently. Not sure where they come from in terms of package rights.
    There have also been some straight to TV Movies, like Eight Days To Live and The Triumph - that must come from some sort of Lifetime TV Movie deal.

Would like if they rebranded one of the channels to certain times. For Halloween, change VM3 to VM Halloween, and show some horror films - maybe even the cheap muck they have on Sci-Fi.
    Then for Christmas - Virgin Media Christmas Three. There is a mountain of Xmas films out there - you only have to see how Channel 5 go huge on these in November and December. It's all about generating some publicity. Look at how easily Sky rename their channels like Sky Darts, Sky Sports Ashes, Sky Cinema Harry Potter etc..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Those temporary renames cause (or used to) cause the cable side of VM headaches of a massive order because of the different way their conditional access system works from Sky...they had to keep a dummy channel open in the 800s with the old name so customers could keep access to their recordings. Don’t know if that’s still the case these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

icdg wrote: »
    Those temporary renames cause (or used to) cause the cable side of VM headaches of a massive order because of the different way their conditional access system works from Sky...they had to keep a dummy channel open in the 800s with the old name so customers could keep access to their recordings. Don’t know if that’s still the case these days.

VM don't bother changing the name of Sky Select now, as that channel changes its name every few days. And yes there's stil a good few of those dummy channels in the 700's at the moment. Sky thankfully have stopped rebranding the other Cinema channels

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Dundalk's six Europa League group stage games will be all broadcast FTA on VM2.

Dundalk's six Europa League group stage games will be all broadcast FTA on VM2.

Looks like Live Champions League games on Tuesday and Wednesday at 8pm on Virgin Media Two - which s good news. Chelsea v Sevilla on Tuesday, Ajax v Liverpool on Wednesday.

Mystery how Virgin Media didn't pursue the live coverage to last nights Rep of Ireland match. RTE, whom have never shown any live or highlights of the Nations League so far, seemingly got a deal done for the live play-off semi last night. And if Ireland were to progress - they would have shown the final live. You had the craziness of VMTwo having Niall Quinn and Brian Kerr having prematch and afermatch coverage of the Rep of Ireland match - while they showed a live friendly between England v Wales, and then showed live coverage of the extra time and penalties of Northern Ireland v Bosnia match - knowing full well that Tommy, Brian and Niall were solely looking at RTE and the Irish match.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,393 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I switched over to England v Wales during the half time for the ROI game. Picture seemed slightly out of focus or something, didn't have the same issue watching the football on RTE so don't think it was my TV. Viewing via Saorview.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I switched over to England v Wales during the half time for the ROI game. Picture seemed slightly out of focus or something, didn't have the same issue watching the football on RTE so don't think it was my TV. Viewing via Saorview.

That's just how live sport looks on non HD Saorview channels.

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's just how live sport looks on non HD Saorview channels.

Is it the same issue on RTÉ2+1?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Mystery how Virgin Media didn't pursue the live coverage to last nights Rep of Ireland match. RTE, whom have never shown any live or highlights of the Nations League so far, seemingly got a deal done for the live play-off semi last night. And if Ireland were to progress - they would have shown the final live. You had the craziness of VMTwo having Niall Quinn and Brian Kerr having prematch and afermatch coverage of the Rep of Ireland match - while they showed a live friendly between England v Wales, and then showed live coverage of the extra time and penalties of Northern Ireland v Bosnia match - knowing full well that Tommy, Brian and Niall were solely looking at RTE and the Irish match.

It’s no mystery - this is not the Nations League, this is the European Qualifiers (you’ll have to take that one up with UEFA, but it’s how they classified and branded it) and so the TV rights deal for the European Qualifiers applies, not the Nations League. Either way, VMTV would not have had the Republic of Ireland game; had it actually been a Nations League game, then Sky would have had exclusive live coverage; because it was a European Qualifiers game, Sky and RTE shared the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The only real mystery of VMTV and their nations league rights is why were they so cheap to pay for the entire tournament except for the Ireland games.

FWIW Sunday's game with Wales is a Nations League game so only on Sky Sports here (again, WMTV have access to every other game). It's also live on S4C if you access to that Welsh channel

Dodge wrote: »
    The only real mystery of VMTV and their nations league rights is why were they so cheap to pay for the entire tournament except for the Ireland games.

It's amazing whatever poor deal was done. They'll be showing the full 90 mins of Ireland v Wales at 11pm on Sunday night, 9 hours after it kicked off on Sky. Even the commentators must be thinking what's the point.

Memories of TV3 cheering from the rooftops back around 2004 when they secured deferred rights to all Ireland home matches for 4 years. The full coverage of a match running from 10pm to 12:30pm, with Sky owning the live rights. Luckily the Government ensured that the Qualifying games must be shown free, and RTE came in. And then TV3 were left with deferred highlights of the matches shown live on RTE, and then deferred full match of meaningless friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The model for VM is to buy content as cheap as possible, dilute it across all channels and repeat it often. Do "just enough" to appear in the ratings and satisfy advertisers.

Then brand all channels heavily with the name "Virgin Media". The entire goal here is to keep this name in the minds of viewers so they can sell broadband, digital TV and mobile. That's where the money is for them. Their goal is not to be the best broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

JDxtra wrote: »

Then brand all channels heavily with the name "Virgin Media". The entire goal here is to keep this name in the minds of viewers so they can sell broadband, digital TV and mobile. That's where the money is for them. Their goal is not to be the best broadcaster.

They won't be happy that I still call it TV3.

They've a John Delaney documentary on Virgin Media One on Tuesday. At the same time - there's live football on Virgin Media Two. Makes perfect sense, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Dodge wrote: »

FWIW Sunday's game with Wales is a Nations League game so only on Sky Sports here (again, WMTV have access to every other game). It's also live on S4C if you access to that Welsh channel

Everyone can access S4C in fact - no geoblocking on their website.

They do have to fill three channels and it's not a repeat. Also they could say you can record it and watch the match LIVE. You can watch it at 10pm on the plus one channel (not a fan off plus one especially as in SD).
    You can watch it on replay if you have that function. It will be on the Virgin Media Player. You will see it if you really want to.

Virgin Media Three had John and Lisa's Weekend Kitchen Series 2 Episode 1 on earlier today.
    Tomorrow they are showing Episode 5.
    Next Saturday Episode 7.
    Next Sunday Episode 8.
    What about 2,3 and 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Everyone can access S4C in fact - no geoblocking on their website.

There is geoblocking on it for some programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have S4C HD at home for the match tomorrow afternoon. I don't need to see it on VM knowing that S4C have it live.

Elaine at 3pm has been pulled this week, plus was also not on last Friday. They're not saying much on twitter or in the media apart from saying the "girls are taking a break and will be back next Monday 19th".

You'd have to think a possible Covid case affected the production of the show.

In it's place is ITV2's Dress To Impress Series 1 which has been shown 9 times already across the last 3 years on VMTV.

Elaine at 3pm has been pulled this week, plus was also not on last Friday. They're not saying much on twitter or in the media apart from saying the "girls are taking a break and will be back next Monday 19th".

Would that be enough time for a breakout of Covid? Isn't most of it done by Video calls?

• Advertisement

Would that be enough time for a breakout of Covid? Isn't most of it done by Video calls?

Looking back at Thursdays show, they had 2 guests on at separate times with Elaine. Never know, it could even be a member of the production crew. It's the first time there's ever been a break in her show, apart from when Horse Racing occurs and at Christmas time.

Advertisement