Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Marathon 2010

• 26-04-2010 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Anyone else doing this ??

Its 18 weeks away so the proper training should be starting around now.

i had intended to do Cork in June but injuries and chest infections kicked that idea to touch.

So its Aug 29 in Longford now. Which actually suits a thet is where i'm from and have a handy place to stay.

Its a fairly flat course i think and at 45 quid good value as well.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 13 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0% 0 votes
    4 stars (good)
    46% 6 votes
    3 stars (average)
    38% 5 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    15% 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Did the half last year and will do it again. Very well organised race. Only problem I found was the state of the toilets in the changing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Ill be down there. Nice and flat if not a bit lonely:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

But you'll go into another county;)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I did the full last year and yes it was lonely at times. I was alone a number of times and was convinced I was lost at one stage. Now this may not apply to yourselves if your in another time group but it wrecked my head no end. At various stages you need other runners to pull you along ' if I can just keep up with/pass your man ahead etc'. Just be prepared that is all.

Very well put together otherwise. Good nosh afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Did the half last year and will do it again. Very well organised race. Only problem I found was the state of the toilets in the changing area.

+ 1 on the toilets, disgusting...nice flat course good for a PB (Half)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

yeah im in for this and really looking forward to it. Started a P&D programme today with a day off. So far so good :)

Bit concerned with the 'felt lost' comment. I am like that, get lost very easily - are all the turns well marked etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

yeah im in for this and really looking forward to it. Started a P&D programme today with a day off. So far so good :)

Bit concerned with the 'felt lost' comment. I am like that, get lost very easily - are all the turns well marked etc?

You wont get lost mate dont worry. Its just a small field. I ran the last 16 miles on my own last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

But you'll go into another county;)

You actually get to run from Longford to Roscommon, to Letrim and then back into Longford, pick up some postcards on the way. :D

It's definitely not a spectator event, bar the small crowds at Tarmonbarry, Roosky and Newtownforbes, but I'd definitely recommend it if you are going for a good time, because of the fairly flat profile. I was looking forward to doing a bit of damage on my own PB this year in Longford, but it's the week before Dingle, and I have my sights set on the big one there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

would like to go :) but price seems a bit too high :) they should make student rates :) does the money go for anything?

Aimman wrote: »
    You actually get to run from Longford to Roscommon, to Letrim and then back into Longford, pick up some postcards on the way. :D

It's definitely not a spectator event, bar the small crowds at Tarmonbarry, Roosky and Newtownforbes, but I'd definitely recommend it if you are going for a good time, because of the fairly flat profile. I was looking forward to doing a bit of damage on my own PB this year in Longford, but it's the week before Dingle, and I have my sights set on the big one there this year.

Oh i know that !!!

Bit i'm looking forward to most is passing Flancare Park..........

I'd defo do a PB as its my 1st marathon.

I started training with a 55km cycle yesterday.

I'm waiting on my insoles to arrive so have to replace some running with cycling.

I'll run 4 miles today and it will be the 1st official training session.

Oh and could a mod move this to events...........my bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You won't get lost, as long as you don't start to second guess yourself, and take a turn-off down some country lane! It is a lonely place over the last 15, particularly the stretch down the country lane from Roosky. Because the roads are open, you can have someone in a car give you some support, and drop you off a drink at various locations along the route. It was my inaugural marathon, and I really enjoyed it. You can see the route here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/651148

(assuming it hasn't changed since 2008).

You won't get lost, as long as you don't start to second guess yourself, and take a turn-off down some country lane! It is a lonely place over the last 15, particularly the stretch down the country lane from Roosky. Because the roads are open, you can have someone in a car give you some support, and drop you off a drink at various locations along the route. It was my inaugural marathon, and I really enjoyed it. You can see the route here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/651148

I know the area well and the route is fairly flat

cheers Krusty - Im a moron when it comes to things like that. I shouldnt really be allowed in a car......

Two friends are coming down with me. One is going to cycle ahead with drinks/sweets and the other is final mile support.

Their secondary mission is to keep going to the bar for me on the sunday night :)

Or a lift:D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Bit i'm looking forward to most is passing Flancare Park..........

The Flan Siro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

did full last year.

well organised . bit lonely second half. relatively flat(ish)

only real negative point was the disgusting state of the portaloos before race start!

overall, i'd recommend it. (esp half as more runner traffic)

cheers Krusty - Im a moron when it comes to things like that. I shouldnt really be allowed in a car......

Two friends are coming down with me. One is going to cycle ahead with drinks/sweets and the other is final mile support.

Their secondary mission is to keep going to the bar for me on the sunday night :)
    Tell them to bring a mountain bike. They might need it on some of those rutted country lanes! Also cycling in the hard shoulder, on the wrong side of the road along the N5 and later the N4 might be slightly frowned upon!

There was one short hill, at around mile 24 (only around 60 feet of a climb), up over a railway bridge that felt to me like a climb over Everest. I wanted ropes to get over the damn thing. But I did run the first half of the race way too hard.

only real negative point was the disgusting state of the portaloos before race start!
    Have you ever seen a clean portaloo before a marathon?

Ah come on Krusty, there is more than one person giving out about the Portaloo's here.

I have run many races around Dublin from Bupa, Adidias Series, Marathon and then Longford. Its a great event but the portaloos were a total disgrace, werent even fit for a dog.

Its the one thing that let it down!!

Found the tops they gave us funny, cotton tops :)

Reminds me of the old days in the Adidas Series, still ahve a few of them:D

Ah come on Krusty, there is more than one person giving out about the Portaloo's here.
    Not disagreeing with you, but I had the misfortune of finding a portaloo on the Connemara route in 2009, which didn't have a queue beside it. Sadly, I realized why. Lets just say that sometimes, those wishing to use the facilities are often in quite a hurry. I find them all to be equally horrendous, but a necessary evil.

Way off topic, but Dublin and Barcelona had upright men urinal jobbies, that are quite simply the business. No need to take up a space in the portaloos, no queues, stops blokes pissing in the street, perfick.. Should have them at every event.

• Advertisement

Problem was there were queues :D

Yeah agree with you about the ones in the Dublin Marathon. They solved alot of issues!

Actually cant wait for this race. Probably be my last race of the year as be a Daddy soon after:D Not sure if I be retired for good or not!!

How do other people manage running and kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

With great ease, unless you're a single parent. You need to run to de-stress :)

Actually cant wait for this race. Probably be my last race of the year as be a Daddy soon after:D Not sure if I be retired for good or not!!
    Only really took up running once the kids were grown-up. A lot of my friends struggle in the early years, as young child related stress + sleep deprivation + work commitments makes it difficult to juggle schedules to find time to run. Like Roy suggested, it would have come in handy at the time to de-stress, so it's a good idea to find the time.

Think I will get out two times a week but after that its wait and see.

I can see me bringing the little one to watch races :)

My daughter is 2 months old. Sleep is a bit of an issue. Im basing my runs on either the commute home or before breakfast so it doesnt eat into family time.

Its early days but seems to be working at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How do other people manage anything and kids?

Fixed that for you.

Tell them to bring a mountain bike. They might need it on some of those rutted country lanes! Also cycling in the hard shoulder, on the wrong side of the road along the N5 and later the N4 might be slightly frowned upon!

There was one short hill, at around mile 24 (only around 60 feet of a climb), up over a railway bridge that felt to me like a climb over Everest. I wanted ropes to get over the damn thing. But I did run the first half of the race way too hard.

Cheers Krusty - good to know. Theres a decent hill in lucan I will stick onto the end of my long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

I'm thinking of running the full also. I am doing the Wexford half this Sunday and the timing of Longford fits in with my plans. I live in Celbridge so its only about an hour's drive away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Have you ever seen a clean portaloo before a marathon?

ah krusty c'mon, these were nowhere near working even from the beginning .
    normally dont use portaloos but the complex was not open for business so to speak.

Advertisement