Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Redeployment

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Have teachers received new vetting to become "healthcare assistants", not the teachers I'm friends with! And there would be war if it was done. I am a fully qualified special needs assistant, I have first aid training and have previous qualifications in programming and computing. All data entry can be done remotely if in emergency.

And as for the public, what about every other sector and employee now pulling in the 350 a week (not far off what I get paid btw) can they not be put into a database for redeployment? Surely they have skills.

That's because teachers are still teaching. How do you know that the data entry can be done remotely? You have no idea of the set up. Perhaps the screening centres are set up that when someone comes in for a screening test that their details are entered on a form and that the swab has a code attached to its container and they have to be entered by someone on site. Can't see how you would do that at home.

They are using public sector workers because they are already getting paid a full wage by the government. Public sector workers who cannot do their jobs at the moment are being redeployed to do this work. It works because they don't have to set people up on payroll and pensions etc, you are already attached to an employer and will continue to be paid.

Why would the government hire people and pay them when they have people sitting at home receiving full salary and doing no work???? Honestly, your attitude is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I have no issue at all with teachers, I think they are doing a fantastic job under the circumstances, and I would also love to continue helping my kids with their alloted school work but haven't been given that chance. Although many SNAs are working remotely with their students at the moment so I guess they will have to stop that and do whatever they are thrown into.

Our union Forsa has told us that we will be working remotely with our students, why we would need hse vetting to continue doing the same job we always have is strange.

As for the other user talking about using my first aid, you realize how basic first aid training is correct? Bloody hell, if they send us into medical roles people will end up dying and this virus will spread like wildfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

That's because teachers are still teaching. How do you know that the data entry can be done remotely? You have no idea of the set up. Perhaps the screening centres are set up that when someone comes in for a screening test that their details are entered on a form and that the swab has a code attached to its container and they have to be entered by someone on site. Can't see how you would do that at home.

They are using public sector workers because they are already getting paid a full wage by the government. Public sector workers who cannot do their jobs at the moment are being redeployed to do this work. It works because they don't have to set people up on payroll and pensions etc, you are already attached to an employer and will continue to be paid.

Why would the government hire people and pay them when they have people sitting at home receiving full salary and doing no work???? Honestly, your attitude is astonishing.

Full salary, have you any idea what an sna makes? I would gladly go off pay and onto social as we are paid much in the same. And I have a good knowledge of data entry as I have qualifications in IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

As an SNA in a special school we have been supporting our pupils and consulting with teachers on content to send to pupils daily since our closure. I have personally been making and photographing hands on educational activities that parents can replicate at home. I've engaged in online training and worked on IT issues for the school. It's frustrating to be considered 'getting paid to sit at home' when that is far from the case.

I am fully accepting that these are exceptional times and we all need to do our part. It's the handling and messaging of this situation over the last week that I have had a problem with. The lack of communication and clarity has caused a massive amount of anxiety for us as a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Full salary, have you any idea what an sna makes? I would gladly go off pay and onto social as we are paid much in the same. And I have a good knowledge of data entry as I have qualifications in IT.

Yes I do know what an SNA makes, because I'm a teacher. It's still a full salary no matter what way you look at it and it's more than the dole.

And if you have qualifications in IT, then maybe you'll be matched to a data entry job. You're doing a serious amount of whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, being marked down as Healthcare assistants when you have zero training in that role, and being forced to do this.

My mom's a sna and she had no choice in filling out the form. It wasmt voluntary like McHugh made it sound like on the news.

She's been told the work in Cork anyway is for COPE and St Finbarrs hospital. So it's not like they're doing anything normal or safe for them to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

SNAs make more money here than I did as a fully qualified teacher in South of England, and when I was teaching at a university in France full time. I don't think they are that poorly paid given the level of qualification and responsibility that is expected of them.

I think many play a really important role, don't get me wrong but I don't think they are poorly paid.

Yes I do know what an SNA makes, because I'm a teacher. It's still a full salary no matter what way you look at it and it's more than the dole.

And if you have qualifications in IT, then maybe you'll be matched to a data entry job. You're doing a serious amount of whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I feel any 'whinging' here from SNA's has some merit to be fair. You have their union (Forsa), the official Government statements, and the state media, all saying different things with regard what will be expected of SNA's during this crisis. Of course that's going to cause confusion and anger, it's a fearful time for people. If I were an SNA I'd be really concerned too...and if this was happening with Teachers, I've no doubt this thread would be a LOT longer.

I seriously doubt any SNA has an issue with what their union is saying, ie, remote contact with families, distance supporting of children and families, advice re a child's regular schedule, and so forth. That all sounds perfectly reasonable. I think the problem is what the government and media have been saying SNA's will be expected to do (reassignment to relieve care staff in care/residential settings? short outings with children? one to one sessions with children in offsite settings?), this brings a lot of concern, risk, confusion, and worry.

I looked up the SNA salary scale, an entry level SNA will be making €450 a week before tax. That's a perfectly reasonable wage considering the role and duties of an SNA (again no disrespect to SNA's, they fulfill a hugely important role and can be a tremendous benefit to children with additional needs). However, to shift from a nice, safe, school environment....to a role whereby not only their own health, but the health of their families & whoever they live with will be put in jeopardy, well, that doesn't seem like a great tradeoff. Again though this isn't a money argument, I don't think there's any SNA's upset because of their salary here - it's upset caused by confusion, fear, and worry.

The government, the SNA union, and the media, seriously need to align their statements. I seen above the new vetting forms are hard-set to vet SNA's as health care workers. This may be passed off as a rushed clerical error, but given the mixed messages already to date, it's yet another factor which is sewing distrust in the info released, and what's expected of SNA's in the coming weeks. It's all a perfect storm of mixed messages at this stage.

Inviere wrote: »
    I feel any 'whinging' here from SNA's has some merit to be fair. You have their union (Forsa), the official Government statements, and the state media, all saying different things with regard what will be expected of SNA's during this crisis. Of course that's going to cause confusion and anger, it's a fearful time for people. If I were an SNA I'd be really concerned too...and if this was happening with Teachers, I've no doubt this thread would be a LOT longer.

I seriously doubt any SNA has an issue with what their union is saying, ie, remote contact with families, distance supporting of children and families, advice re a child's regular schedule, and so forth. That all sounds perfectly reasonable. I think the problem is what the government and media have been saying SNA's will be expected to do (reassignment to relive care staff in care/residential settings? short outings with children? one to one sessions with children in offsite settings?), this brings a lot of concern, risk, confusion, and worry.

I looked up the SNA salary scale, an entry level SNA will be making €450 a week before tax. That's a perfectly reasonable wage considering the role and duties of an SNA (again no disrespect to SNA's, they fulfill a hugely important role and can be a tremendous benefit to children with additional needs). However, to shift from a nice, safe, school environment....to a role whereby not only their own health, but the health of their families & whoever they live with will be put in jeopardy, well, that doesn't seem like a great tradeoff. Again though this isn't a money argument, I don't think there's any SNA's upset because of their salary here - it's upset caused by confusion, fear, and worry.

The government, the SNA union, and the media, seriously need to align their statements. I seen above the new vetting forms are hard-set to vet SNA's as health care workers. This may be passed off as a rushed clerical error, but given the mixed messages already to date, it's yet another factor which is sewing distrust in the info released, and what's expected of SNA's in the coming weeks. It's all a perfect storm of mixed messages at this stage.

Thank you for this reasoned response. It would also be nice if people were aware of the vast variance in the duties and level of work expected of an SNA depending on the type of school/challenges/needs they are met with. This is not a complaint, it is a reality. My colleagues and I are highly trained, experienced and well educated individuals working in an often high stress and challenging environment. We are seen as essential parts of our school team. I’m grateful to be working in such an environment considering the dismissive attitude of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

HazelBee wrote: »
    My colleagues and I are highly trained, experienced and well educated individuals.

It may be the case in your school and your colleagues but just for clarification when we're talking about a salary scale, an SNA needs a minimum 3Ds in a junior cert or equivalent. An SNA doesn't need to have the SNA course completed.
    sNAs have a lot of differing backgrounds and qualifications but it is amiss to say SNAs are highly trained and well educated as a profession. Individual SNAs could of course be highly trained and well educated.

• Advertisement

it is amiss to say SNAs are highly trained and well educated as a profession. Individual SNAs could of course be highly trained and well educated.[/quote]

I was just pointing out a reality in our profession, though we are all on the same pay scale. Again, not a complaint.
    I never made a generalisation. I referred to my own work environment. It is others that have made generalisations here and elsewhere.

I do feel we have now started to go around in circles on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

TheDriver wrote: »
    SNA needs a minimum 3Ds in a junior cert or equivalent. An SNA doesn't need to have the SNA course completed.

Those may be the official state requirements, but to be fair, there's a guaranteed zero percent chance of securing employment as an SNA by merely meeting those criteria. Unofficially, the standard today is a full QQI Level 5, ideally a 6, in a related field, plus the Level 5/6 component SNA qualification (and even at that, proven relevant experience too).

Your point stands considering the current long term SNA's out there, for many years the requirements were a lot lower than they are today (officially and unofficially), and you're right, you can't assert that all SNA's are highly trained. It should be noted though that many many SNA's from more recent years have qualifications that far exceed what the state requirements are, and that the old fashioned view of SNA's being mere babysitters, is indeed an old fashioned and outdated view of the role. Certainly from what I've seen anyway, particularly around children with special/additional needs. This has unofficially brought the minimum standard up a lot higher than what the state requirements dictate. To retroactively increase the official requirements, would mean upskilling those who don't meet them - and that's not a simple task. So for now, the unofficial requirements will remain that, unofficial.

Advertisement