Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live Alone Vegan Weekly Budget

• 06-01-2020 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I live alone and feel that I spend way too much on my food. I don’t keep track but feels like I spend over 100 a week easily on food - maybe 150 if I do a big shop. Shower gel and a few bits included.
    I don’t eat out or get take aways.

I do one or two Aldi shops and also do a couple of smaller Tesco/Dunne’s ones for what Aldi can’t give me (more vegan options) and end up spending more than I do Aldi somehow.

So does anyone else live alone and spend. Similar amount? Or more or less?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm a bit of an outlier as food is a major passion of mine so I spent a lot on it, but I don't really drink or have expensive hobbies or anything so i don't mind. It can vary so much based on if you are cooking from scratch or just buying products.

Here is somebody eating for $1.50 a day getting all their nutrition on a vegan diet for instance:
    https://youtu.be/NyBhWSfZorE

I find the more I cook things like veg, legumes etc the cheaper things are but often I'll want something really nice too so I have no problem splashing out and supporting ;) vegan products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That seems like a lot, especially if the majority is in Aldi.

If I'm just flinging things in the basket, I'd spend about 50 a week on groceries including toiletries and cleaning products. If I'm being conscious of it, planning meals ahead etc. I could eat very well for a spend of below 30, I buy local/Irish where possible but I'm not bothered with organic, that would push things up alright.

First thing to do is actually track your spending, and your wastage.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Everyone is different, but that’s way more than we spend as a household of two. Are you buying a lot of pre-made or processed foods? We buy some processed foods, but try to mostly eat whole foods, and spend an average of €40-€50 per week, including household items and toiletries.

We go out for breakfast once a week.

Edit: We generally don’t go for organic everything, if we did we would easily spend another €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Frozen berries and vegetables are a good idea, it means you don't waste any such foods anymore.

For me, having go to comfort foods to hand for dinner means I'm less likely to pop into a shop on the way home from work or order something even. For example, I'd have the Tofoo Southern bites, Quorn frozen breaded chicken or some doner seitan always in the fridge or freezer as sometimes I feel like a comfort food after a long day like a burger or wrap with wedges/fries. I always have cashew nuts in the press as well for my creamy/cheesey pasta sauce craving. Having the tasty comfort food at home saves me giving in to picking up something outside of the meal plan I had shopped for at the weekend. Whatever your comfort food craving is, if you have a version of it at home which you can prepare easily it will save you from giving into spending temptation during the week.

Eat your own porridge for breakfast and dress it up with flavour, seeds, fruit etc according to your taste. Even spending €3/4 on breakfast adds up.

Look at the deals that are available in supermarkets prior to shopping e.g. Tesco are selling ripe avocados for 49c a piece at the moment. Half an avocado, toast, tomatoes and some salt and paprika made at home would cost around 40c but is delicious, would keep you going half the morning and would save you €6+ if you bought it from a cafe.

As said in a post above, the main thing is to track your food spending. Do you spend much on eating out? Takeaways? Doing a weekly shop hit then popping into the shop several times during the week? Try to give up takeaways and, as set out in my note above, have the ingredients you need to create your own comfort food at home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some ideas from aldi

https://youtu.be/sshTJFXZ3Lw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

We spend around €90 a week from one well-stocked shop in Ennis; very little in the way of processed foods; supplemented by our own garden (spuds, tomatoes, peas, broad beans, garlic, onions).

That's for two people and a dog. It's very little considering we've consumed almost 100% organic since the mid-eighties. I think liking to cook from scratch has a huge effect on your shopping bill - the amount of packaging you have to deal with one way or another; a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Thanks everyone for the really great feedback. Now I know I am definitely overspending and worse, just wasting food.
    I need to change this and stop throwing out half bags of soggy lettuce or sprouting spuds. I at least feed carrots to my dogs as they love them :)

I try to buy as much organic fruit and veg as I can so that is part of the spend. I often buy too many types of veg and then make up a big stir fry with a bit of everything and probably make enough for 4 dinners (potatoes or rice etc not included). I may eat it for 3 dinners or stretch to 4 or sometimes scrape it out after two dinners if I'm gone off it. I would always have some quorn pieces or organic chickpeas in the stir too.
    Other than that it's potatoes, some protein supplement and some other veg. Two nights per week I probably go for oven chips and vegan proten or burgers etc.

For lunches I make sandwiches with quorn slices or linda mac sausages and usually have lettuce and tomatoes mixed in. Have some Aldi paleo bars and fruits to eat during the day also. Porridge for brekky. I don't feel like I buy stupid stuff and am skinny for my height so I jjust need to think about it more and shop in Aldi as much as possible.

Eg I often go into super valu midweek for one thing like bread and come out with two bags of shopping. I need to control myself :)

JB

Do you like Indian curries ?

Yeah I like curries, maybe not as hot as an Indian take away but sometimes they end up hot enough. Chickpea curry with a bag of spinach through it is one I do sometimes. Plus a rainbow of other veg!

Yeah I like curries, maybe not as hot as an Indian take away but sometimes they end up hot enough. Chickpea curry with a bag of spinach through it is one I do sometimes. Plus a rainbow of other veg!

Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

In my view your spend is very high. There is a new company called noodfood that maybe you could look into? From what I have seen they deliver the ingredients and a recipe to you on a sunday and you cook the meals yourself. Its a bit pricey but I am sure there are discount codes around and a couple of weeks may reset you to know what you need in the shopping rather than just flinging everything in the basket?

I know myself that if I shop without a list (which necessitates some form of meal planning) I will find all sorts of stuff that I didnt really need and sometimes am not sure what to do with when I am unpacking! Then of course I forget its there and end up throwing out stuff - may as well burn my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah now, that's a lot in fairness. Our grocery budget for a family of 4 is 500 euro a month, or 120 per week, and I bring most of my meals to work from that.

What are you buying that is high cost do you think?

We have a well stocked cupboard with lots of lentils, beans, pasta, rice and these are all low cost foods. Bread, crackers, peanut butter for lunches with fruit.
    Seasonal veg is not expensive. At the moment root veg (carrots, parsnips, beetroot etc), onions, leeks, fennel. Apples and oranges are in season now.
    When we cook dhals or pasta dishes, those are all typically vegan, and are some of the cheapest meals we do.

We have eggs, cheese and fresh meat/fish too in our budget, along with toiletries and are nowhere near what you are spending

I'm trying to think what you could be buying that is very expensive. It must be the bars and processed quorn stuff?
    We typically grow our own salads, maybe your cost is there?
    Are you adding imported high mileage exotics?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I spend between 60 and 80 every 2 weeks, for myself and 6 rescue cats.

Needless to say their food costs more than mine does; mine is under 15 a week. Almost no processed, and very simple food at the low cost "own brand" end . Seasonal vegetables and almost no meat. Economy packs of eg oats.

Being a pensioner helps focus the mind!

I shop by email which helps avoid impulse buys; waiting for the ferry to deliver right now . Occasional extras from H and B by post..

PS you need to limit your passing of the ENTER door of all these shops!

When I was still able to shop in person, it was once very two weeks. And i went into all the Big Four as there are different things in each. At every shop the first call was the REDUCED section and I miss that appallingly. Never a list as I am well disciplined and organised.

Dunnes was the ready meals I enjoy a couple of times a week; they are at 3 for E10... a roasted chicken at E4.. I am not vegan. And Admirals Pie in the freezer section.. and a quick roam in the veg section and reduced. .

You get the methodology!

When I became housebound the only shop I can access is Supervalu and my heart sank, but they have reorganised. I access the excellent website. email a list. They are equal to the Big 4.. ready meals now down to E4.

It really is about organisation. And if needful, avoiding temptation. Surely 2 shops a week are enough? One weekend, one midweek?

Good luck!

I live alone and feel that I spend way too much on my food. I don’t keep track but feels like I spend over 100 a week easily on food - maybe 150 if I do a big shop. Shower gel and a few bits included.
    I don’t eat out or get take aways.

I do one or two Aldi shops and also do a couple of smaller Tesco/Dunne’s ones for what Aldi can’t give me (more vegan options) and end up spending more than I do Aldi somehow.

So does anyone else live alone and spend. Similar amount? Or more or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

There's a reason why the sign over supermarket doors has the verb 'entrance'. 8)

:D When I lived on a North Sea Island I was not near a supermarket for many years, literally and coming to Ireland and SHOPS! I still love shopping and miss it.It never became a chore.. But was never one to overspend.. The supervalu web site helps ! Takes me days to do to my list..;)
    There's a reason why the sign over supermarket doors has the verb 'entrance'. 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Graces7 wrote: »
    Needless to say their food costs more than mine does; mine is under 15 a week. Almost no processed, and very simple food at the low cost "own brand" end . Seasonal vegetables and almost no meat. Economy packs of eg oats.

I spend much less now than I did when I was a meat eater, when people say being vegan is expensive they are just making it expensive by sexing it up with mad ingredients (easily done!).

I'd say I spend around €15-20 a week myself, typical basket would be:
    Onions €1/kg
    Carrots €1/kg
    Kidney Beans €0.25c /tin (*4 /week)
    Chickpeas €0.35c /tin (*4 /week)
    Beans €0.25c /tin (*4 /week)
    Tinned Tomatoes €0.30c /tin (*2 /week)
    Coconut Milk €0.80c /tin (*1 /week)
    Frozen Spinach €1.50/kg
    Frozen Peas €1/kg
    Oats €1.80/kg
    Apples €1/kg
    Red lentils €2/kg
    Rice €1/kg
    Pasta €1/kg
    Pita breads €0.45c per pack of 6
    Soy Milk €0.75c /L (2* /week)

+whatever random fruit/veg is on offer
    +soy sauce/sweet chilli sauce / spices as needed

Above are rough guesses but most are pretty accurate prices (Lidl). All of the above comes to <€20 and tbh I wouldn't go through all that in a week (admittedly I get some grub in work but just cereals/oats/milk and a bit of fruit usually)

jive wrote: »
    I spend much less now than I did when I was a meat eater, when people say being vegan is expensive they are just making it expensive by sexing it up with mad ingredients (easily done!).

I'd say I spend around €15-20 a week myself, typical basket would be:
    Onions €1/kg
    Carrots €1/kg
    Kidney Beans €0.25c /tin (*4 /week)
    Chickpeas €0.35c /tin (*4 /week)
    Beans €0.25c /tin (*4 /week)
    Tinned Tomatoes €0.30c /tin (*2 /week)
    Coconut Milk €0.80c /tin (*1 /week)
    Frozen Spinach €1.50/kg
    Frozen Peas €1/kg
    Oats €1.80/kg
    Apples €1/kg
    Red lentils €2/kg
    Rice €1/kg
    Pasta €1/kg
    Pita breads €0.45c per pack of 6
    Soy Milk €0.75c /L (2* /week)

+whatever random fruit/veg is on offer
    +soy sauce/sweet chilli sauce / spices as needed

Above are rough guesses but most are pretty accurate prices (Lidl). All of the above comes to <€20 and tbh I wouldn't go through all that in a week (admittedly I get some grub in work but just cereals/oats/milk and a bit of fruit usually)

Do you make a lot of stir frys? So you don't buy any quorn or meat substitutes? What about lunches in work? Pittas?

I need to make a shopping list that I stick to with 3 or 4 luxuries or something like that. Heading in for bread midweek and coming out with two bags of random stuff needs to stop!

Is home delivery an option? Good way to cut down on impulse buying.

If you're trying to cut costs, quorn and the like would be an obvious starting point. Do you enjoy cooking or is the convenience of them a big advantage for you?

Do you make a lot of stir frys? So you don't buy any quorn or meat substitutes? What about lunches in work? Pittas?

Yeah so usually I'll have a large batch of chickpea curry or lentil dahl in the fridge/freezer. I make a stir fry maybe twice a week with red kidney beans, carrots and onions using soy sauce + sweet chilli sauce and throw a few spices in and have that with rice.

Work lunches is usually 1 of the above 3 dishes and fruit. Sometimes I'll have pitas/sandwich with hummus or smashed chickpeas or peanut butter/banana. I usually have some large batch of soup on the go from whatever veg is on special e.g. last couple of weeks was butternut squash soup and I bring that in for lunch. I tend to cook in fairly large batches other than stir fries, soup probably makes about 15 servings, curry & dahl 10 or so; these all freeze well. Sometimes I make bean burgers out of kidney beans/carrots/onions [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kIaAUsX3Xg ]

I don't usually eat quorn or meat substitutes. I have quorn or linda mccartney sausages or tofu probably twice a month, I like them I just never remember to get them / Lidl isn't stocked. Writing it down my diet seems pretty boring but I don't think about it too much really, just aim to horse in enough healthy food with minimal effort; buying whatever is on special and doing something with it keeps things varied. This week leeks are on offer so I'll make potato and leek soup, next week mushrooms are on offer so I'll make mushroom risotto for a couple of nights.

• Advertisement

Did a 36 euro Aldi shop including shower gel etc and I made a nice stir fry yesterday and used a tin of red kidney beans from Aldi instead of quorn pieces. (how does this compare for protein??)
    It was fairly nice I must say! So have another batch left for today - will steam potatoes/boil rice to go with it and have another batch in the freezer which is something I've never done.
    That way I can move on and start to use my other veg (cabbage) and not end up throwing stuff out.

I still have to go to supervalu to get quorn slices for sandwiches. I can't seem to get satisfaction from sandwiches unless I have something like those slices, or vegan sausage or something replacing meat. Sometimes I just go with lettuce, tom and vegan cheese slices but never feel full enough after.

Not sure how they compare protein wise, but as a food the kidney beans will be better anyway as they have not been processed, there's probs around 18g protein per tin. I love batch cooking and mixing up whether its served with pasta/rice/potato etc.

Sandwiches are a weird one, I used to just eat cheese & tomato sandwiches but now I prefer a stuffed pitta or wrap. Have you tried hummus as a spread on yours to bulk it up a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Kidney beans are 24g of protein per 100gr. Quorn is only 11gr per 100grm. So your beans were better, more nutritional value in fibre etc also, less processed and cheaper. All round a better option

For sandwiches

Falafel wraps are pretty savage... Yums.
    Hummus with roasted peppers.
    Vegan cheese, vegan pesto and Mediterranean veg (sunblush toms, sliced olives, roasted courgette)

pwurple wrote: »
    Kidney beans are 24g of protein per 100gr. Quorn is only 11gr per 100grm. So your beans were better, more nutritional value in fibre etc also, less processed and cheaper. All round a better option

Is that dried or canned beans? I took my estimation based on the ones I normally buy here https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/259061829

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The last seitan I made ( posted on dinner thread ) was great in sandwiches. I sliced thin strips, fried them in a little oil and smoked paprika.

Did a 36 euro Aldi shop including shower gel etc and I made a nice stir fry yesterday and used a tin of red kidney beans from Aldi instead of quorn pieces. (how does this compare for protein??)
    It was fairly nice I must say! So have another batch left for today - will steam potatoes/boil rice to go with it and have another batch in the freezer which is something I've never done.
    That way I can move on and start to use my other veg (cabbage) and not end up throwing stuff out.

I still have to go to supervalu to get quorn slices for sandwiches. I can't seem to get satisfaction from sandwiches unless I have something like those slices, or vegan sausage or something replacing meat. Sometimes I just go with lettuce, tom and vegan cheese slices but never feel full enough after.

You need to bump up the protein in the sandwiches. I'm a fiend for sandwiches and a typical one for me would be like hummus, something pickled, green leaves, sprouted lentils, nutritional yeast and toasted seeds.

Something else that might work better to directly replace quorn would be just getting a big block of firm tofu (if there's an Asian food shop near you you can get really good value), slice it, drain it, marinade it and bake it. You'd probably get four or five servings from a 300g block, you can freeze them or they'd keep for about 3-5 days in the fridge.

Mess around with different sandwich/lunch type things, keep the focus on getting a lot of high protein food in if you find feeling full is an issue. Seeds, nuts, lentils, beans. Toast them, mash them, sprout them, you can get plenty variety.

You might find that the need you feel for quorn and the like is mostly psychological, I'm not dissing that food it can he very handy but I think it's safe to say it's not as nutritious as a lot of less processed lunch alternatives. If you're replacing it with something like the above you shouldn't be left feeling hungry. Try and cut it out for a month and see how you get on.

Yes I think it's psychological to want quorn / meat sub. I have tried chicpeas a bit before but must say the red kidney beans are really nice. Made a very simple stirfry with just carrot, onions, red pepper, garlic, red kidney beans and some chilli sauce from Aldi and it was so tasty I didn''t even think about quorn. If I mix it up with red kidney beans one week, chicpeas the next.... I want might break the cycle. I do like a traditional dinner too with simple, potatoes, veg and (meat sub). That's a hard pyscological one to break as it's the Mammy's dinner style :D. Dee's vegan sausages are great with this.

Will check out humous for sandwiches next week. Not something I ever thought of a sandwich filling! Thought it was a dip!
    I like falaffel in small doses.... the spices get to me after a while. Have added them to salad sandwiches before and they are nice but I got sick of the cumun (i think) after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

If I'm being conscious of it, planning meals ahead etc. I could eat very well for a spend of below 30, I buy local/Irish where possible but I'm not bothered

Sorry to interrupt but would anyone know if there's a forum/thread for ideas like this? I'm not a vegan/veggie but was just passing sorry

Sorry to interrupt but would anyone know if there's a forum/thread for ideas like this? I'm not a vegan/veggie but was just passing sorry

If you shop for one at Lidl / Aldi and base your diet largely around Irish produce (spuds, carrots, onions, oats, apples, etc) you’d be hard pushed to spend >€30 honestly. There is a thread for what you had for dinner last night although I guess people don’t really bother throwing up the normal dinners too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

klopparama wrote: »
    Pm sent

can you pm me your curry dish please and I like a hot curry.

Advertisement