Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons from 'The Beast': What will you be stocking up on this winter?

• 30-09-2018 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

So autumn is here and there are rumours of harsh weather a-coming. Now whether that comes to pass or not, especially predicted so far in advance, we'll just have to wait and see. But I'm guessing that some of us will have learned the hard way that they should have stocked up on X item during the snow back in March. So what do you regret not buying more of back then? What will you be stocking up on bit by bit this autumn/winter before any harsh weather hits?

Apart from the obvious food items, I'll be making sure I have spare lightbulbs, batteries for the torch, and matches for the candles. A little winter bag for the boot of the car (hi-vis jacket, blanket, packet of biscuits, water) to go with the emergency kit I bought in Halfords last winter. Refill the fuel container that I keep in the boot.

What else...toilet paper. I need new gloves and a hat too, now that I think of it.

What about you? What do you regret not stocking up on during the snow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Bread !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As I live far from shops etc... When we had the power cuts ( was it Ali?) I only scored 5/10 for preparedness.. Shameful as I spent five months last winter without electricity and should have known better.

My failures were matches, lighters, a working torch and a battery radio; no batteries ... have set that right now.

I have been stocking for winter for months.... would hate to be a bad islander and have to ask supplies... pasta, rice, flour ., yeast, sugar, tins of all kinds,,, and not forgetting cat and dog food . Now I have a good supply of home grown potatoes.... focussing more on ingredients. Peanut butter, coffee, tea,, Turf and can get more here if need be . chocolate of course..

always have a spare gas bottle....

Snow will not affect ferries but roads at both ends... Happy now whatever the weather throws. we missed out in March this time..

Used last winter's stocks this summer...

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    So autumn is here and there are rumours of harsh weather a-coming. Now whether that comes to pass or not, especially predicted so far in advance, we'll just have to wait and see. But I'm guessing that some of us will have learned the hard way that they should have stocked up on X item during the snow back in March. So what do you regret not buying more of back then? What will you be stocking up on bit by bit this autumn/winter before any harsh weather hits?

Apart from the obvious food items, I'll be making sure I have spare lightbulbs, batteries for the torch, and matches for the candles. A little winter bag for the boot of the car (hi-vis jacket, blanket, packet of biscuits, water) to go with the emergency kit I bought in Halfords last winter. Refill the fuel container that I keep in the boot.

What else...toilet paper. I need new gloves and a hat too, now that I think of it.

What about you? What do you regret not stocking up on during the snow?

Ah I knit lovely warm cabled traditional hats... also in team colours! every cent to charity too... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cat litter ! The blessed cat would not go out in deep snow and crossed his legs and looked disgustingly at the newspaper . ! Eventually we put shredded paper down and he performed but I will definitely store a bag of cat litter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I am not doing any extra planning this year. February was a once off and I am expecting it to be mild this year just out of pure pessimism.

I bought a snow shovel in 2010 and only got its first use this year. I expecting the same to happen again.

I might get an extra bag of coal and logs depending on what the charts say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I am always prepared for winter no matter what long range forcasts say.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Cat litter ! The blessed cat would not go out in deep snow and crossed his legs and looked disgustingly at the newspaper . ! Eventually we put shredded paper down and he performed but I will definitely store a bag of cat litter

This is the sort of thing I mean, lol! Things you may not have ever thought of, but once you run out, you realise, 'damn! Why didn't I think of buying that'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

ZX7R wrote: »
    I am always prepared for winter no matter what long range forcasts say.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

A good strategy. I mean, we're hardly likely to get Canadian or Scandinavian-level winters, but still. No harm in having extra toilet paper and canned goods etc under the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

A good strategy. I mean, we're hardly likely to get Canadian or Scandinavian-level winters, but still. No harm in having extra toilet paper and canned goods etc under the stairs.

Sure is, everything can be used at a later date food wise,fuel ect can roll over till following winter

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Have made sure I'm not the only person in the gaff with hiking boots/wellies. Being the only one who could venture out to attend to the kids got old quick.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I mean, we're hardly likely to get Canadian or Scandinavian-level winters, but still.

I'd be delighted if we did. If the climate were to change like that it would also stop being an issue. It'd just be winter.

(oh and water containers, our well froze and we didn't have anything to store water in when it was working. Defrosting a pan of ice on the stove takes a long time and gives surprisingly little water. So I've started keeping the 5 liter water bottles we use when we're camping)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Have made sure I'm not the only person in the gaff with hiking boots/wellies. Being the only one who could venture out to attend to the kids got old quick.....
    That’s a very good point, I was the only person with good winter boots and water proofs last winter which meant I was sent out to deal with kids, clear the car or walk to the shops..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

A camping stove and gas canisters, really helped this year when the electric was out, a few of the neighbour's came calling for hot water was pleased to help, always batch cook and fill the freezer, dinner in no time and candles candles candles and a few good books and dreamies for the cats ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not much preparation here, was all good last winter, might get a little grit for the driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Tazio

These! https://www.ie.screwfix.com/building-decorating/decorating-tools/extension-poles

I saved almost 75% of my eves/guttering from the weight of the snow by using ( and breaking ) two of these pulling down snow from roof.

Also, wait ~ 20 mins before refilling a hot generator with petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Changed from Oil to Gas :D

Was going to do it anyway, but we were hmming and hawing about whether or not to do it or just save the money. Then I ran out of oil after the beast and spent two days wrestling to get the boiler working again. Had my mind set on the changeover after that.

We were generally fine. I'd be more cognisant about what I'd do rather than what I'd stock up. On the day the snow stopped, my wife decided to go off to the shop 5 minutes away and didn't reappear for 3 hours. During which time I was the only person on the street who WASN'T out clearing the snow because I was minding the baby. So I felt like a lazy baxtard for that. She'll be told to take the baby with her next time :D

I'd also move my car into a better position. It was in the middle the driveway which made clearing a path either side of it a pain in the hole. I'd park it right against the wall so I have more room to swing a shovel.

wexie wrote: »
    I'd be delighted if we did. If the climate were to change like that it would also stop being an issue. It'd just be winter.

(oh and water containers, our well froze and we didn't have anything to store water in when it was working. Defrosting a pan of ice on the stove takes a long time and gives surprisingly little water. So I've started keeping the 5 liter water bottles we use when we're camping)

I will wrap up my gas bottles and connecting pipes in warm sweaters, cellotaped on... they tend to freeze. and I was given a huge water container

Someone mentioned cat litter? Min use turf ash happily on the rare occasions they do not go out.

A camping stove and gas canisters, really helped this year when the electric was out, a few of the neighbour's came calling for hot water was pleased to help, always batch cook and fill the freezer, dinner in no time and candles candles candles and a few good books and dreamies for the cats ...

That was my life for 5 months after I came here, with the delay in getting esb connected. No gas cooker connected for months either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Getting a 2 ring gas hob, because everything is electric here.
    We were off from Wednesday morning untill Saturday lunchtime with Ali.
    Luckily the well and pump were on a different line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Huh?

Do you have 2 bills as well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Next time I won't spend so much time actually working when almost everyone else from work is actually out playing in the snow/watching netflix.

Top floor apartment and usually have a lot of veg, batch cooked meals and meat I bulk buy from the butcher in the freezer, so was mostly fine but would have been screwed if had had a power cut. Could have just stuck it all out in the snow piled up on the balcony to keep it frozen though I guess. Just wouldn't have been able to cook anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

wexie wrote: »
    Huh?

Do you have 2 bills as well?

Yep. The well is on the farmyard meter (farm has a tractor driven generator so as long as you have diesel, you have water and power to the milking machine, etc)
    House is 400 yards away on its own meter.

Ideally I should look for a 7 or 8kva diesel gennie, and get a change-over switch fitted to the dwelling house as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭kindredspirit

Oil for my skis. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sept17

I find the battery powered fairy lights are great for power cuts , like the ones you can buy in penny’s - they use 2 aa batteries, 8 packs easily available in aldi.. they’re much safer than candles, and give off great light ..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UYWJ.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Just good books.

If there is snow, I will spend hours out walking (day & night). I find the snow earlier this year so peaceful.

But when I get home, I love sitting back in front of the stove and reading a book on Polar explorers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

Nice bottle of whiskey :)

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Getting a 2 ring gas hob, because everything is electric here.
    We were off from Wednesday morning untill Saturday lunchtime with Ali.

wise wise perspn.. I bought a gas cooker as soon as I arrived but they wanted e350 to connect it to the canister as has to done by a professional thse day

UYWJ.gif

I can taste and feel the particles of snow on my eyes and lips.. wonderful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

I have moved back up to Dublin from the country, so im going to invest in a JCB for when I need to head to Aldi and Lidl.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement