Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If the world goes completely vegan

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Wouldn't read to much into anything the UK says at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Gary kk wrote: »
    Wouldn't read to much into anything the UK says at the moment.

After reading that tweet i wouldn't read too much into what Greenpeace say either. "The planet is on fire", give me patience..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

NcdJd wrote: »
    After reading that tweet i wouldn't read too much into what Greenpeace say either. "The planet is on fire", give me patience..

It's literally been on fire several times this year - California, Australia...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

England and Wales are banning live export of cattle, meanwhile in Ireland...

https://twitter.com/GreenpeaceEU/status/1337526780391985153

Be grand.
    Fly the calves out, and back load withCovid Vaccine!
    2 hours travel time for the calves, as opposed to 24 or 36.
    Nobody could object to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We just had the hottest November on record and are on course to have hottest year on record. The UN Sec Gen came out to say the whole world should declare a climate emergency yesterday. I mean they might be to something these scientists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

El Tarangu wrote: »

Yes certain parts have experienced wild fires. And its not just climate or even greenpeaces dislike for 'meat' thats an issue .
    Prior to development, California fires regularly burned significantly more acreage than has been seen in recent history. Wildfires have been aggressively suppressed in recent years, resulting in a buildup of fuel, increasing the risk of large uncontrollable fires. There is broad scientific consensus that there should be more controlled burning of forest in California in order to reduce fire risk. A 2020 ProPublica investigation blames the culture of Cal Fire, greed on the part of fire suppression contractors, and risk aversion on the part of the U.S. Forest Service from preventing appropriate controlled burns from taking place. A sharp increase in the population and development of fire-prone areas has also contributed to the increase in flammable tinder

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_California_wildfires

Considering that approx 70% of all greenhouse gases are produced as a result of the use of fossil fuels in the energy and transport sectors. Amazing greenpeace kinda forgot about all that

El Tarangu wrote: »

Here's an article from a scientist detailing some of the reasons for the Australian Bush fires while acknowledging that climate change is a factor but not the hysterical meat shaming rubbish coming from Greenpeace.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/australian-bush-fires-were-not-caused-by-climate-change-alone-1.4154995

We just had the hottest November on record and are on course to have hottest year on record. The UN Sec Gen came out to say the whole world should declare a climate emergency yesterday. I mean they might be to something these scientists.

Of course they are on to something. But it won't make any difference. World population has gone from 2 billion in 1930 to 7.8 billion as of 2020. The Earth's resources are finite. Coupled with the increasing throwaway culture were are royally snookered. Humanity that is. The earth will recover and keep turning.

I do my little bit in repairing stuff that's broken, staying away from cheap products that will only last a short time, planting trees, sowing beds to help pollinators and leaving my lawns go into a meadow etc

Most people are interested but unwilling to give some of their time to this stuff. Maybe moaning on twitter or other social media platforms but thats about it. Nothing of benefit to their local environments. All starts in your own backyard as far as I'm concerned. Not thinking that making a difference is by liking a greta thurnberg tweet.

Of course they are on to something. But it won't make any difference. World population has gone from 2 billion in 1930 to 7.8 billion as of 2020. The Earth's resources are finite. Coupled with the increasing throwaway culture were are royally snookered. Humanity that is. The earth will recover and keep turning.

I do my little bit in repairing stuff that's broken, staying away from cheap products that will only last a short time, planting trees, sowing beds to help pollinators and leaving my lawns go into a meadow etc

Most people are interested but unwilling to give some of their time to this stuff. Maybe moaning on twitter or other social media platforms but thats about it. Nothing of benefit to their local environments. All starts in your own backyard as far as I'm concerned. Not thinking that making a difference is by liking a greta thurnberg tweet.

True. People on social media going on about flying off on their holidays abroad and yet moaning about global warming...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Ina wierd kinda way the true eco warrior would be secretly delighted the world is burning.
    Because that would be the end of humanity..and the world would go back to it's natural ways.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    True. People on social media going on about flying off on their holidays abroad and yet moaning about global warming...

This is the problem I have gozunda. You want to see the rubbish on the roads around where I am. Disgraceful. I went and picked up, myself, 60 bags of plastic over a two day period. Evil farmer that I am. Nobody else would bother their hole doing it. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

This is the problem I have gozunda. You want to see the rubbish on the roads around where I am. Disgraceful. I went and picked up, myself, 60 bags of plastic over a two day period. Evil farmer that I am. Nobody else would bother their hole doing it. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

Fair play to you. Fly tipping and dumping is a huge issue. I was looking back over the last couple of years here and I worked out I've planted just over 700 hundred native deciduous trees and have plans to do some more next year. But sure cows eh ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Fair play to you. Fly tipping and dumping is a huge issue. I was looking back over the last couple of years here and I worked out I've planted just over 700 hundred native deciduous trees and have plans to do some more next year. But sure cows eh ...

There is a huge disconnect in certain areas of the country to the local environment. On of my friends dare I say it is a vegan and he cleans out sections of a canal on a weekly basis with some local people in his community. I've alot of time for him as he's actually doing something, like yourself.

A neighbouring farmer planted 300 metres of native hawthorn along a boundary to a housing estate that looks out at his land. I gave him a dig out with it. Roll on two years later there are f all trees left as the neighbours were concerned it would spoil their view. Can't win.

Can someone tell me why I keep seeing things like this on Twitter, it's either the OPW or farmers doing it to riverbanks and hedgerows. Apprently the OPW are doing it to give cattle access to the water. Why would they do this? Also is it not illegal? It's so sad

https://twitter.com/EcofactEcology/status/1337076363254255617

This too, it seems to be a growing problem, not just with farmers and OPW but also County Councils. Like they are hell bent on destroying every last bit of nature.

https://twitter.com/stiofanwalsh/status/1334881475720785920

Can someone tell me why I keep seeing things like this on Twitter, it's either the OPW or farmers doing it to riverbanks and hedgerows. Apprently the OPW are doing it to give cattle access to the water. Why would they do this? Also is it not illegal? It's so sad

https://twitter.com/EcofactEcology/status/1337076363254255617

Flood relief works OPW nothing to do with farming.

Flood relief works OPW nothing to do with farming.

Ecofact seem to think otherwise, it does look like access for farm animals no?

https://twitter.com/EcofactEcology/status/1337119939455488005

This too, it seems to be a growing problem, not just with farmers and OPW but also County Councils. Like they are hell bent on destroying every last bit of nature.

https://twitter.com/stiofanwalsh/status/1334881475720785920

Like everything else an "environmental impact assessment" will be done and the box ticking exercise completed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: I think this thread has veered wildly off-topic and has become more of a general discussion thread. As the original poster hasn't returned, and I suspect won't, I think it's time to let this thread go. If you'd like to start a thread to discuss the more specific issues raised in more recent posts, please feel free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement