Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Party months after getting married?

Options
  • 02-12-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

We are looking at getting married in June 2021 in a registery office, even if it's still just a handful of people allowed in, and then have a party to celebrate in Oct/Nov when we hope parties will be able to go ahead without too many restrictions. I'm on maternity leave until July and just feel I'd like to get the legal side done before going back to work, no real reason why I feel this way but I never wanted a long engagement! Neither of us are into the big traditional wedding and can't really afford to hold the party in June as I'm taking some unpaid leave and I'm not on full pay while on leave plus we've spent an awful lot in the past 18 months between buying a house and having a baby.

Just to note I priced a BBQ wedding reception for June at it came in at €60 a head but it's €35 a head for a normal party BBQ, the exact same menu. I just feel that the second venues hear its a wedding they mark up the price.

Does this sound like a good or bad idea? I'd love to hear people's opinions or advice! TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this option.

However, be prepared to have a higher decline rate than you’d expect for a wedding. People just won’t place the same value on a party to celebrate your marraige, as they would on a wedding. I’m not saying it’s right but it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

This is what we're doing - we've a hotel booked for August next year, we got married in the registry office in September. We might have to push the party back a little depending on the restrictions situation but the hotel are fairly flexible.

I reckon people will be chomping at the bit for a party after a year + of lockdowns. If we have a higher decline rate.. so be it, we want to celebrate with people who WANT to be there, and that's exactly what we'll do. I'm fairly easy-going about the whole deal, after everything this year I know what's important - having a great day with people I love.

Advertisement