Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

You should get 3G download speeds up to 500kb/s depending on all the normal location factors for mobile data

Thanks for that.
    Tesco should sell those modems.
    Id say there is a big market for Tescos data offering with a modem.
    Even at that speed, or possibly 1meg min, this would be a good buy for anyone who occasionally uses their laptop to connect. Its daylight robbery all the networks charging by the day. I might use it 5 days in a month and dont fancy paying for the whole month €20 or 5 days €3 x 5.

This would be ideal for me 1GB per month is plenty for light use for the month. 500Kb speed is a little bit slow though for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

daithi2011 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Tesco should sell those modems.
    Id say there is a big market for Tescos data offering with a modem.
    Even at that speed, or possibly 1meg min, this would be a good buy for anyone who occasionally uses their laptop to connect. Its daylight robbery all the networks charging by the day. I might use it 5 days in a month and dont fancy paying for the whole month €20 or 5 days €3 x 5.

This would be ideal for me 1GB per month is plenty for light use for the month. 500Kb speed is a little bit slow though for that.

Hi Daithi,

Thanks for the feedback. The current data service and technology provided is aimed at phone based browsing and data usage rather than a dongle based mobile broadband service. We are always reviewing our services and may introduce mobile broadband sometime in the future.

regards
    Paul

Thanks for that. Doesnt look fast at all. I'll try it out though.

OK got a loan of a tesco sim so cant go too mad on it yet til i get mine.

I went into mobile connect. Its still branded as 3, but is unlocked.
    Then went into profiles.
    If you click on connection to add a new connection then you can add the proxy in there.
    Then add that connection to a new profile.
    Set that new profile as active.
    It then connects to the O2 network, but you get a warning about roaming (is this because its still branded as 3?)

Does this sound about right. I was able to browse ok, but I dont know if I was using credit on it. When I get a new sim i'll try again.

And I've only edge where I am at the moment or it might be that I have to buy the data add on to get 3G.

Because Tesco Mobile share O2 Ireland's mast network (called national roaming) many devices see this as roaming and assume its international roaming. This is why you get the warning messages. Unlocked Android phones act in a similar way. There are no extra charges, only normal data charging.

The data addon or any Tesco Mobile setting has no effect on speeds. Sounds like you are in Edge coverage from an O2 mast.

Can you send a text from the dongle software? If so you will be able to buy the 30 day bundle from there without having to put back in a phone (Text data to 174211).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Thanks for that. Doesnt look fast at all. I'll try it out though.

OK got a loan of a tesco sim so cant go too mad on it yet til i get mine.

I went into mobile connect. Its still branded as 3, but is unlocked.
    Then went into profiles.
    If you click on connection to add a new connection then you can add the proxy in there.
    Then add that connection to a new profile.
    Set that new profile as active.
    It then connects to the O2 network, but you get a warning about roaming (is this because its still branded as 3?)

Does this sound about right. I was able to browse ok, but I dont know if I was using credit on it. When I get a new sim i'll try again.

And I've only edge where I am at the moment or it might be that I have to buy the data add on to get 3G.

Yep, that sounds like you're all set. I don't get the roaming warning, but that's possibly due to the '3' branded software you're using rather than anything else. That said, the generic software can't change proxy for you either.
    lomb wrote: »
    Hiya, can you tell me which browser you are using and how and where you enter the port and proxy settings. For me there are several connections in IE where one enters the info and none work. Also what is that screenshot of ipconfig tell you of PPP?
    I was using Firefox, just set the IP and port in Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings for all protocols. ipconfig was purely to show that address was in a private range.
    Can you send a text from the dongle software? If so you will be able to buy the 30 day bundle from there without having to put back in a phone (Text data to 174211).
    Yes, you can configure that. I've also setup USSD codes so I can query my balance from within the program:
    USSD.png

Someone has also asked me if you can SSH by setting the HTTP proxy in the SSH client. I wasn't able to do this. Hopefully once the proxy is removed by tescomobile, this will be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sinkit

Hi Tescomobile,

I am also having problems with an unlocked iphone when I try to access the internet i get the same message as user skelefty "Could not activate cellular data network".
    I have entered the settings advised from tesco customer service and I have also attempted to follow Gurras advise and create a data proxy which i installed onto the iphone, unsure if this was successful. But as I still cannot access the internet seems I still have a problem.

Any update on these settings or any further advice.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

sinkit wrote: »
    Hi Tescomobile,

I am also having problems with an unlocked iphone when I try to access the internet i get the same message as user skelefty "Could not activate cellular data network".
    I have entered the settings advised from tesco customer service and I have also attempted to follow Gurras advise and create a data proxy which i installed onto the iphone, unsure if this was successful. But as I still cannot access the internet seems I still have a problem.

Any update on these settings or any further advice.
    Thanks.

Hi Sinkit,

Have an unlocked iPhone on its way to me so I can test the iPhone setup in detail. Will post back here with my results over the next couple of days.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gurra

sinkit wrote: »
    ...But as I still cannot access the internet seems I still have a problem.
    Any update on these settings or any further advice...
    Did you switch on Data Roaming (Settings - General - Network)?
    /Gurra

• Registered Users Posts: 32 exterminator447

Tesco Mobile don't know what there doing, they have only about 12 agents answering the phones most times and are based in conduit office in eastpoint business park dublin 3. the supervisor never handles any complaints and the Acting Team Leader are both useless ****s doing nothing all day. I would never recommend Tesco Mobile to anybody. As for the Iphone there sim cards cannot take it for the iphone. I have tried and tested it numerous times before.

STAY AWAY FROM TESCO MOBILE

Gurra wrote: »
    To elaborate, for some bizzare reason, the iphone user interface only allows you to set up a MMS proxy, not a data proxy. To set up a data proxy, you need to use the Iphone Configuration Utility (for Windows). Create a new configuration profile and populate the fields under General (mandatory) and Advanced (data proxy settings). When you connect the Iphone via USB, the utility will pick it up and you can then send the profile you just created to the Iphone.
    I am hoping this proxy requirement will be removed with the introduction of support for non http traffic in the new year.

Thanks to Gurra for his work here.

Lets add some more detail here on how to setup your iPhone to work with Tesco Mobile. This is the definitive guide as I have followed these steps from scratch with a clean unlocked iPhone 4 and have succesfully setup and tested internet and MMS in and out.

1. If you have an iPhone 4 get a Tesco Mobile Micro SIM. Call Customer Care on 1749 or 0894200000 and they can get one sent out to you. You will need to call them back when you get it to get your number transferred to the SIM.

2. Put the Tesco Mobile SIM in unlocked iPhone and perform normal setup via iTunes

3. Go to Settings->General->Network and Turn Data Roaming On

4. Also in Settings->General->Network go to Mobile Data Network
    Put APN and MMS proxy details in as below

a) Enter the following details into Mobile Data at the top of the section.

APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    Username: leave empty
    Password: leave empty

b) Enter following details into the MMS section.

APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    MMSC: http://10.1.11.68/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19:8080
    Max Message Size: 307200
    MMS UA Prof URL : leave empty

5. Download the iPhone Configuration utility http://support.apple.com/kb/DL926 and install. Connect your phone to the data cable and fire up the application.

Looks like below

iphone1.jpg

6. Click on Configuration Profiles and create a new profile and on the General icon name it Tesco Mobile Data and the Identifier tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

iPhone2.jpg

7. Now click on the Advanced icon at the end of the list and enter the apn and proxy details as below

iphone3.jpg

8. Nearly done. Just go to your device and see the profile you created on the right and click install as below. Your iPhone will ask you to confirm. Onec complete the proxy is now set on the iPhone

iphone4.jpg

9. All done. Test MMS and Internet - should work fine. Some apps may have issues until we remove the proxy restrictions shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

You should get 3G download speeds up to 500kb/s depending on all the normal location factors for mobile data
    `
    500kb/s is far too slow and the 50mb per day is a joke.
    I am currently getting over 3000Kb/s both up and down using Meteor 3G.
    You need 100mb daily allowance to be on the safe side with a smartphone especially if you are viewing HD videos.
    your international call rates are great but you are way behind the possy regarding your 3G service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

56lcd wrote: »
    `
    You need 100mb daily allowance to be on the safe side with a smartphone especially if you are viewing HD videos.
    your international call rates are great but you are way behind the possy regarding your 3G service

Im waiting for webtexts and faster 3G speeds. When that happens im moving the whole family, but not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

`

Yeh, but you get nothing for nothing. Tescomobile is in fairness a fabulously priced offering for most users. The average smartphone user uses less than 500mb a month anyway. Majority of use is on wifi at home or work which is free anyway.

`

Thanks for the feedback 56lcd.

We are focussing on data and making steady improvements in the area. If you are a volume user of data then our 30 day bundle will be hard to beat in prepay at €6.99 for 1GB for 30days.

Our speeds are 3G not HSDPA. Our current data service is focussed on handsets and not as a mobile broadband service where higher speeds would be a requirement.

We are always reviewing our service portfolio and may add a mobile broadband service in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yalelaw93

I bought an "unlocked" Samsung C3050 from Newegg.com. It shows in the security settings that it is unlocked but when there is no sim card in it, it will not make a phone call and shows an "insert SIM card" message. When I put in my T-mobile SIM card, it will only permit SOS calls. The phone shows that it was formerly used on the Tesco Ireland network. I live in the U.S. What can I do to unlock the phone from Tesco so I can actually make a call? All the other features on the phone work - just not the ability to use it as a phone! I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

yalelaw93 wrote: »
    I bought an "unlocked" Samsung C3050 from Newegg.com. It shows in the security settings that it is unlocked but when there is no sim card in it, it will not make a phone call and shows an "insert SIM card" message. When I put in my T-mobile SIM card, it will only permit SOS calls. The phone shows that it was formerly used on the Tesco Ireland network. I live in the U.S. What can I do to unlock the phone from Tesco so I can actually make a call? All the other features on the phone work - just not the ability to use it as a phone! I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Hi Yalelaw

I would suggest you return the phone to Newegg.com as if it was sold unlocked and it isnt you should get a replacement. We can only unlock a phone for a customer who is using it.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Are you saying that the handset may have locked itself to Tesco Mobile Ireland, being that a TMI SIM was the first SIM used in the handset?

What's more likely is that you're simply using an incompatible SIM.

The Samsung C3053 is a 2G handset. It can run on GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 Mhz. Perhaps your T-Mobile SIM is not for these network frequencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yalelaw93

Are you saying that the handset may have locked itself to Tesco Mobile Ireland, being that a TMI SIM was the first SIM used in the handset?

What's more likely is that you're simply using an incompatible SIM.

The Samsung C3053 is a 2G handset. It can run on GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 Mhz. Perhaps your T-Mobile SIM is not for these network frequencies?

Kotek Besar, that is a wonderful insight! So, when I try to get a compatible SIM card, will the specs tell me what frequencies it will operate on? I really appreciate your help; and thank you, also, to Paul. :)

Kotek Besar, that is a wonderful insight! So, when I try to get a compatible SIM card, will the specs tell me what frequencies it will operate on? I really appreciate your help; and thank you, also, to Paul. :)

My advice would be to ask T-Mobile. Tell them that you have a 2G GSM handset which runs on GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 Mhz only. Ask them if the T-Mobile SIM you have is compatible or not.

Hi All

Just to let you know that iPhone and Android settings instructions are now linked off our Facebook site also.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Thanks for the feedback 56lcd.

We are focussing on data and making steady improvements in the area. If you are a volume user of data then our 30 day bundle will be hard to beat in prepay at €6.99 for 1GB for 30days.

Our speeds are 3G not HSDPA. Our current data service is focussed on handsets and not as a mobile broadband service where higher speeds would be a requirement.

We are always reviewing our service portfolio and may add a mobile broadband service in the future.

Just want to say that the new 1GB data for 7euro is very good!but i cant use it for connecting upto my laptop for internet as the proxy is still on the tesco network any plans to remove it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 indust3

Hi Paul,

can you give us an update on proxy changes...I desperately need it for applications to get running on my Android...Any exact date?

Thanks
    David

Hi Guys

Difficult to lock down an exact date but it is most likely less than 2 weeks away. We are a few weeks off track for various reasons but work is in progress now.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 28 saabron

Hi Paul
    The web surf bundle webpage suggests the data add on will work in Northern Ireland. I have been using the bundle happily in Monaghan for the last 3 weeks but tried to use it in the centre of Enniskillen today and was not getting any data connection . I was registered with O2 uk at the time . I have data enabled when roaming switched on as default ( my android phone always reckons its roaming owing to the fact tescomobile uses the O2 network , as you know :D)

Is there something I need to do on the apn front or am I misinterpreting the info on the webpage "island of Ireland"

Really looking forward to the unproxyed access . Then tescomobile is complete !!!

S.

saabron wrote: »
    Hi Paul
    The web surf bundle webpage suggests the data add on will work in Northern Ireland. I have been using the bundle happily in Monaghan for the last 3 weeks but tried to use it in the centre of Enniskillen today and was not getting any data connection . I was registered with O2 uk at the time . I have data enabled when roaming switched on as default ( my android phone always reckons its roaming owing to the fact tescomobile uses the O2 network , as you know :D)

Is there something I need to do on the apn front or am I misinterpreting the info on the webpage "island of Ireland"

Really looking forward to the unproxyed access . Then tescomobile is complete !!!

S.

Hi Saabron,

Thanks for the feedback. This is an error on the website which will be updated today. We dont have international data roaming yet so data only works in ROI.

Apologies for this, all calls and texts are rated the same to ROI networks when on Island of Ireland and this followed onto the data T+C's in error.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

If only the claims made by Paul from Tesco were true!

My experience with Tesco since 3rd February are as follows;
    I was given a Christmas present of an unlocked iPhone 4 and continued to use it on my PAYG with Vodafone and 99c per day was deducted from my balance.
    Got a huge shock one day when I had used 86Mb to discover that Vodafone had deducted 99c for EVERY 1Mb above the daily allowance of 50Mb.
    After that experience I investigated options and the €6.99 bundle from Tesco, looked like a great alternative for me.

I rang Tescomobile last Thursday (3rd Feb) and explained very clearly to someone called Rob what I wanted and I went through the process of moving over to Tesco and having my telephone number ported over to them.
    Rob emailed me the settings that I needed to put onto my iPhone
    Before the end of the day my phone was working properly for calls & texts and I presumed all would be fine.
    How wrong I was!

Having switched over I firstly discovered that Tesco 3G coverage was much more limited that I had experienced with Vodafone and much of the time I was getting an Edge rather than a 3G connection. However my big issue was that I kept getting messages of 'Could not activate cellular data network'
    So I rang Tescomobile and the response ONE DAY after signing me up wads 'We don't support the iPhone'!!
    I was amazed that 24 hours after me specifying my needs and them sending me the iPhone settings that there was an attitude that it was my problem. I was quite annoyed by the response I got and was passed on to a supervisor called Mark.
    In fairness to Mark he was helpful and called me back on a couple of occasions with advice and I was eventually referred to post #160 on this thread.
    As I was heading away for the weekend I wasn't able to follow these instructions until this evening but regret to say I am still having major difficulties.
    I'm now no longer getting the 'Could not activate cellular data network' but instead the phone shows good signal strength and 3G connection but simply goes searching for connection but never succeeds.

At this stage just 4 days after signing up with Tescomobile I reckon I'll have to move provider once again and I will make a final call to Tesco tomorrow before I start this process.

What particularly annoys me is that I was never told of any iPhone issues on Thursday & by Friday was basically being told it was my problem.
    Despite the helpfulness of Mark I must confess that if problems are not resolved by tomorrow I intend to publicise as much as possible the problems one can have from Tescomobile.

I really regret moving to them already & am far from feeling a benificiary of their 'Every Little Helps' slogan

logonmar wrote: »
    If only the claims made by Paul from Tesco were true!

My experience with Tesco since 3rd February are as follows;
    I was given a Christmas present of an unlocked iPhone 4 and continued to use it on my PAYG with Vodafone and 99c per day was deducted from my balance.
    Got a huge shock one day when I had used 86Mb to discover that Vodafone had deducted 99c for EVERY 1Mb above the daily allowance of 50Mb.
    After that experience I investigated options and the €6.99 bundle from Tesco, looked like a great alternative for me.

I rang Tescomobile last Thursday (3rd Feb) and explained very clearly to someone called Rob what I wanted and I went through the process of moving over to Tesco and having my telephone number ported over to them.
    Rob emailed me the settings that I needed to put onto my iPhone
    Before the end of the day my phone was working properly for calls & texts and I presumed all would be fine.
    How wrong I was!

Having switched over I firstly discovered that Tesco 3G coverage was much more limited that I had experienced with Vodafone and much of the time I was getting an Edge rather than a 3G connection. However my big issue was that I kept getting messages of 'Could not activate cellular data network'
    So I rang Tescomobile and the response ONE DAY after signing me up wads 'We don't support the iPhone'!!
    I was amazed that 24 hours after me specifying my needs and them sending me the iPhone settings that there was an attitude that it was my problem. I was quite annoyed by the response I got and was passed on to a supervisor called Mark.
    In fairness to Mark he was helpful and called me back on a couple of occasions with advice and I was eventually referred to post #160 on this thread.
    As I was heading away for the weekend I wasn't able to follow these instructions until this evening but regret to say I am still having major difficulties.
    I'm now no longer getting the 'Could not activate cellular data network' but instead the phone shows good signal strength and 3G connection but simply goes searching for connection but never succeeds.

At this stage just 4 days after signing up with Tescomobile I reckon I'll have to move provider once again and I will make a final call to Tesco tomorrow before I start this process.

What particularly annoys me is that I was never told of any iPhone issues on Thursday & by Friday was basically being told it was my problem.
    Despite the helpfulness of Mark I must confess that if problems are not resolved by tomorrow I intend to publicise as much as possible the problems one can have from Tescomobile.

I really regret moving to them already & am far from feeling a benificiary of their 'Every Little Helps' slogan

Hi Logonmar,

I am disappointed to hear your experience is not good with Tesco Mobile so far.

For an unlocked iPhone on TMI, if you follow the instructions here exactly you should be able to use the internet and send/receive MMS.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70211208&postcount=160

There are restrictions at the moment to HTTP/Port 80 only web surfing and apps that use HTTP/Port 80. This is in fact being worked on to be removed this week (all going to plan).

We dont sell the iPhone but we accept that users will want to use any phone of their choosing on our network. This is why we are providing settings on Android/iPhone and we have our OTA tool to cover almost all other handsets available here

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Note, Tesco Mobile's network coverage is provided by O2 and will be the same level as O2 in your area..

I will PM you for details so I can follow up on any other issue you may be having here.

Again apologies for the inconvenice these issues are causing you.

regards
    Paul

Have had a PM from Paul & as stated Mark one of the supervisors was also very helpful to me on Friday & even supplied me with his Direct Line number.
    I've followed all the instructions in posting #160 and all that has happened is that the message I'm getting has just changed from 'Could not activate cellular data network' to one of about being unable to get a response/connection from the server.

I've supplied Paul with my email address & phone numbers & will update thread, in due course, on whether the issue gets resolved or if I have had to move on from Tescomobile to another provider after just 4 days!

Paul from Tesco Mobile phoned me & also sent me a few PM's and as a result I discovered that I had made an error entering the Port No in the iPhone Configuration Utility that it was necessary to install to get iPhone working on Tesco Mobile.
    I now have Safari, Twitter etc. working but not sure if the issues with the likes of Gmail etc. are yet fully resolved.
    Was very annoyed that I wasn't advised on Day 1 that there could be iPhone issues but on other hand both Mark & Paul of Tesco Mobile did provide good customer support and hopefully over next couple of weeks the few remaining issues relating to proxies will be resolved.
    At that stage I reckon I could be a very happy customer as it has to be acknowledged that they do sell bundles at attractive rates compared with their competitors

Has anyone successfully set up their iPhone Voicemail on Tescomobile?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I've tried to follow instruction on this page:
    http://www.tescomobile.ie/GettingStarted.aspx#tab3

I've managed to record my own Voicemail message and it also tells me that my Voicemail has been enabled however any calls I make to my mobile from another phone just give me ringing tone and it never kicks in to my voicemail message.
    Not sure if I need to set something on my iPhone or if issue is in how I've followed the setup instructions on the page above.

Tried phoning Customer Support but got the 'we don't support iPhone' response.

Can anyone point me towards solution please?

• Advertisement

*5005*86*171#

Advertisement