Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scale and polish , scam or not?

• 13-06-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Im wondering about the following.
    I have been a private customer getting a scale and polish for around 50 euro

sometimes if its been a while a deep clean for 70 euro.
    Since the free cleaning once a year came in i have supposedly needed a deep clean everytime , (every 4 months)
    is this there way to make up for free scale and polish?
    I find it a bit mad that years ago when my teeth were bad all i needed was a regular one and not even tho they admitted my teeth are much better i now need deep cleans everytime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Im wondering about the following.
    I have been a private customer getting a scale and polish for around 50 euro

sometimes if its been a while a deep clean for 70 euro.
    Since the free cleaning once a year came in i have supposedly needed a deep clean everytime , (every 4 months)
    is this there way to make up for free scale and polish?
    I find it a bit mad that years ago when my teeth were bad all i needed was a regular one and not even tho they admitted my teeth are much better i now need deep cleans everytime.
    What price the health of your gums? It's to do with the plaque and bacteria that gets embedded. I knew a lady who swore by such visits. It's certainly cheaper than the dentist. Don't they tell you what to do at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭clones1980

I've always been told by my dentist get it done every six months but I go once a year. Mostly though because I can't stand the hygienist who is much younger than me call me pet the whole way throughout and give out to me like a bold child because I don't floss enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Oh I get the 3rd degree as well. Don't take it personally, they are trying to do you a favour. Floss? Pah! I have 2 types of interdental brushes, thick floss and a lecture each time on how badly I am doing it all, based on my gums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Get a 2nd opinion at another practice if you don't believe the diagnosis& advice being given at your current practice.

Plaque disclosing tablets are brilliant.
    Healthy gums should never bleed.
    What you spend your money on is optional (Shellac nails are about €30 a go,& people get them replaced every 2 weeks. Hair dye €100 every 6wks. Smokers €10/day. Ect ect ect).
    If you don't trust the person treating you, it's definitely time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

By deep cleaning I assume you mean removal of plaque from the pockets between your teeth/under your gums?. Dentists/Hygienists will remove whatever plaque is there when you have your teeth cleaned, be it supra or subgingival, there really wouldn’t be much benefit to you if they left the stuff under your gum and only cleaned what you can see.

I’m not sure if you are linking the “free” cleaning to the increased plaque on your teeth, I don’t see how that does not benefit you, it means you don’t pay for one of your visits. If you want to go less frequently, improve your oral hygiene, or decide not to follow the Dentists/Hygienist guidance and just accept that your teeth may suffer.

I am assuming by “free” cleaning you mean the cleaning with your PRSI?. It isn’t actually free, the minimum fee the Dentist can charge for this visit is €15, the maximum depends on the difference between what the PRSI contributes and what the dentist normally charges to clean subgingivally. If you are not paying a fee at all for that appointment, the dentist is giving you a discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael jay

Dav010 wrote: »
    By deep cleaning I assume you mean removal of plaque from the pockets between your teeth/under your gums?. Dentists/Hygienists will remove whatever plaque is there when you have your teeth cleaned, be it supra or subgingival, there really wouldn’t be much benefit to you if they left the stuff under your gum and only cleaned what you can see.

I’m not sure if you are linking the “free” cleaning to the increased plaque on your teeth, I don’t see how that does not benefit you, it means you don’t pay for one of your visits. If you want to go less frequently, improve your oral hygiene, or decide not to follow the Dentists/Hygienist guidance and just accept that your teeth may suffer.

I am assuming by “free” cleaning you mean the cleaning with your PRSI?. It isn’t actually free, the minimum fee the Dentist can charge for this visit is €15, the maximum depends on the difference between what the PRSI contributes and what the dentist normally charges to clean subgingivally. If you are not paying a fee at all for that appointment, the dentist is giving you a discount.

this makes sense but it would be nice to get charge 15 or so and not the 40 after they take account of your yearly prsi clean, after getting a record of the last three years (as they said i owed them for a check up which should have been covered) i noticed that all the recent ones were peridontal treatments (double the price), where as 90 percent of the ones before self employed people got this benifit were just scales and polishes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why not just ask them about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Definitely a scam, sure they should pay you to do the scale and polish...!!!

ill take a bite out of her next time for good measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think you are just filling space in this thread :D

I'll get my coat!

• Advertisement

i think it had a natural end until we all got another reply,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I visit the hygienist 3 x times a year every year as no matter how much I floss, there is always a plaque buildup on my back teeth. I just cant seem to get that bit right.

One visit is paid by the state, one paid for by my dental insurance and I pay for one myself, usually around €60.

It does pay dividends though as my last 2 x visits to the dentist have been quick checks with the all clear given on both occasions.

Due to a large amount I've paid in the last 4 years for work on my teeth getting end of life fillings replaced, two badly fitted crowns replaced and repairs due to sports injuries that caused damage to my teeth. I feel it's worth it, but that's my 2 cents.

i have to agree with ya, and the knowing that u dont need anything major,

Advertisement