Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EA UFC 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New patch out, some great new moves added. The push down following a follow up to a knockdown looks great.

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/ufc/ufc-3/news/gameplay-update-8

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

While the updates are great I feel overall they have been adding a lot to the game since it originally came out which shows how unfinished it really was. I see these updates more hopefully as an indication of how great the next game can be with all these in from day one and hope they can put more focus then into career mode and UT which I got bored of wayyyy too quickly. I was so hyped for UT and it was just a massive let down with all the grinding and I hated the fact they included real fighters in it. Nice updates but roll on EA UFC 4.

Man yes, I still can't get over how bad UT is this year. They ovehyped career. Same old thing with some sparkles on top. They are moving in the right direction though. I think for 4, they should either go with a story like the journey from FIFA or gym owner where you can control multiple fighters at once and manage the gym, preferably the latter for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I see on the update list that they’ve added combined weight classes. What does that mean practically? Jon Jones vs Mighty Mouse?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anyone still playing this? The last big update really changed things for the better, grappling is viable again but not overpowered, lunges punish sloppy volume fighters, basically there’s a proper counter for everything now. Have sunk a lot of time into it the last few weeks, there’s even a bit more going on in Ultimate Team.

Anyway, if anyone wants to get a few fights in, message me. :)

• Advertisement

New update out today with new tweaks, moves animations and Sean O'Malley and Icon version of Ronda added. I gave the live event a go and just found it crap to play. Just not enjoying it for some reason. Gave ultimate team another go, opened up these school packs that I put together to make a set of badges that I then had to turn into something else. Opened up some fighter/move packs and they were full of shyte, just like the last time I played. Jesus they made an absolute balls of ultimate team.

Even though the striking is greatly improved over the last game and I liked the ground game as it was, I can't figure out what I'm not enjoying about this.

Also, the update comes with a new digital cover for the game of Conor so you know Khabib is going to win this weekend.

New update live including Dan Severn and Andre Bishop & Isaac Frost (hero and villain of Fight Night champion). Dec said for reasons he can't discuss, the update blog can't release until tomorrow.

I'm guessing there will be a fight night announcement at the Game Awards tonight and to hype it up you can play as fight night guys in UFC 3.

I never played fight night champion but the story looked a good laugh. Even though I wasn't very happy with UFC 3, I dunno if I could get excited for a boxing game. Anyway, interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    New update live including Dan Severn and Andre Bishop & Isaac Frost (hero and villain of Fight Night champion). Dec said for reasons he can't discuss, the update blog can't release until tomorrow.

I'm guessing there will be a fight night announcement at the Game Awards tonight and to hype it up you can play as fight night guys in UFC 3.

I never played fight night champion but the story looked a good laugh. Even though I wasn't very happy with UFC 3, I dunno if I could get excited for a boxing game. Anyway, interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Oh please god that's the case. Loved fight night champion. Best fighting game ever made imo.

Bit off topic but following Zero's post above I saw Fight Night Champion was on EA Access so I went and signed up for it. What a great game. Haven't seen anything today about a sequel but fingers crossed there's something to the addition of the FNC characters in UFC 3. Would be great with how many great boxers are around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

dulux99 wrote: »
    Bit off topic but following Zero's post above I saw Fight Night Champion was on EA Access so I went and signed up for it. What a great game. Haven't seen anything today about a sequel but fingers crossed there's something to the addition of the FNC characters in UFC 3. Would be great with how many great boxers are around these days.

Fight night champion is a great game , great music , great story and great boxing !

• Advertisement

Only just started playing this today, is it just me or do 80% of the KO's/tkos finish in the BJ Penn/ Sean Sherk style?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Id say 80% made up of back and forth stand up swinging for the fences or ground and pound punches. But the other 20% are so nice when you land them!

Whats your gamertag, give you a few scraps if you like and you are on ps4

Axwell wrote: »
    Id say 80% made up of back and forth stand up swinging for the fences or ground and pound punches. But the other 20% are so nice when you land them!

Whats your gamertag, give you a few scraps if you like and you are on ps4

Xbox I'm afraid mate. Even if I was PS4 though I'd need a good few hours under my belt before I went online, I'm still very much a white belt :D

Not ea UFC related but for any gamers interested, there is a game called Punch Club that is currently on sale on PSN for 3 euro. 16 bit retro look and sound where you manage an MMA fighter. Work a job to make money, spend money at the gym to train, train to increase stats and learn new moves before your fight. Throw in buying your food, eating, sleeping, maintaining a relationship. More life management SIM than fighting game but sounds like a laugh. You can even buy magic potions to take before fights just like real life :pac:

Any more rumours about a new fight night? :(

dulux99 wrote: »
    Any more rumours about a new fight night? :(

Nada, I think ea have UFC license for one more game. I have a feeling they might not renew it after that. Will be interesting to see what happens.

A UFC 4 survey surfaced online and was confirmed legit by an EA Game Changer

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/P8bwgEq

Some very weird questions like 'you want a great intuitive grappling system?' mmm no, I don't want that at all. Also, 'would you like fantasy skins for fighters? Vampires, werewolves, sea monsters, etc.?'

As for career, they just mention a 'career mode coach' who you make decisions with that can open new paths. Sounds like fluff to me and I'm still hoping for a 'Be the coach' mode where you have a gym and roster of fighters to train and fight as them if you wish.

Lead developer Harrower has hinted they are working on 4 and just put out a live tuner update yesterday. He also released a detailed post on how the rocked state meta works as people were complaining about it.

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-ufc/950377-analysis-current-rock-state-meta.html

So, yer thoughts/wishes on UFC 4? I just want a career mode rehaul. Last one was an improvement but it still got boring quick. UT needs to go back to how it was in UT but keeping some stuff like the seasons. They are the 2 modes that keep me print and UFC 3 really didn't hold my attention as long as 2 even though Thessaly it has the better gameplay.

That's a really interesting piece from Geoff, going to study it a bit more later on. Only with the latest patch have I finally settled into the game properly, seen it all at this stage and apart from about 10-15 really high level players, everyone else fits a certain style and once you cop it, every fight is easier. Managed to crack the world top 100 in UT but the mode is dying and it can be hard to find matches at times.

They don't need to change much gameplay-wise for UFC 4 in my opinion, the learning curve is extremely steep but now that I've spent so much time on the game, I'd be pissed if they fiddled too much with it. It's a pretty fair game at the highest level and every spam has a counter. Only two things they need to take out are the OP driving takedowns and knockdown to cage seated position. Lads who spam those are easily beatable but so damn boring to fight.

Career needs to be completely overhauled, same with UT but to a lesser degree. Love the idea of Be A Coach mode Zero, that's something that would interest me a lot. Live Event rewards make them not worth doing, they need to improve those, and the Live Competitions format needs to be addressed too.

UFC 3 is actually an excellent MMA game though. They just need to overhaul some game modes and fine tune the gameplay a bit more.

If they kept the gameplay from 3 and overhauled the career mode and UT massively id be happy enough. Those are the modes I wanted to sink time into in UFC3 and ended up giving up on after a while, instead now I just go online for a few scraps and haven't bothered with getting better at the game or improving aspects of my gameplay. Its literally something I stick on to pass an hour when instead I hoped for something that would keep my attention and make me want to progress through the modes.

Sadly I can't see them improving either of them massively, career mode has always been poor and UT was pretty poor. UT in FIFA is the holy grail that any of their other games try to attain, its a money making machine so any changes to UT will most likely be with monetisation as the goal so different packs, perks you can buy etc rather than improved gameplay. That's just my opinion, hopefully I am wrong..

Haven't read the articles etc but 'career mode coach' just sounds like some (AI) coaching you through your career rather than you being a coach etc. With decisions maybe having bigger impact.

• Advertisement

Yeah, agree fully with ye. MMA is an extremely complex sport to mimic in code while trying to please casual and Harcore fans alike but usually upsetting both groups. EA wanting fifa money but that will never happen . From interactions online, the 'modes' guy doesn't seem as interested in making developments like Geoff is doing with gameplay. 1 tweet to Geoff about a move looking wrong or dodgy damage/spam possibility, etc, he'd be looking into it straight away. I've seen the ultimate team guy try engage with fans but he went silent pretty quick.

I just don't have faith in their modes and that's the main selling point for me. Will obviously get next game on launch but probably not the ultimate edition like last time, what a ripoff.

That coach mode just sounds like a head will pop on the screen and say 'who do you wanna fight next'. I remember when they were talking about the weigh ins for 3, sounded like they were gonna be a big deal but turned out to be fluff.

Like you Axwel, I stopped trying to get better at the game, just didn't have the drive to keep improving. That Bollox Marty sounds like he'd be a tough scrap now.

You still dry humping to decisions Marty or did you actually find the punch and kick buttons yet???

Haha feck you Zero. :pac:

Nah it’s funny that my striking is actually the better part of my game now, but still handy enough on the ground when the fight goes there (I’m not the one shooting anymore though, hard to believe I’m sure :D).

Honestly I wouldn’t be able to get to the same level in ranked, UT is great if you put the groundwork in and get the right moves on your fighters, while keeping certain stats as high as possible. I’ve settled on my team of 4 now (all of them are 5 stars because even 4 won’t get the job done anymore, if you’re using a gold fighter, forget about it). Haven’t spent a penny on the mode myself, but sometimes I’ll come up against guys with ridiculous fighters full of 5 star moves and you know straight away they’ve probably spent hundreds on the game.

Would love a few scraps with some of ye here one of the nights, the tournament fell by the wayside but it’d be fun to just have a few casual bouts and try out different fighters.

Sounds good man, I'm gonna make a better effort to get on for a few scraps with ye, always the best laugh with this game was with ye on here.

Speaking of UT, are your 5 star guys all real fighters or custom ones? I haven't touched the mode in ages, are gold restricted to 3 star? Just interested if everyone you fight is still always Conor.

Only 1 of them (MW) is custom but he’s by far my best guy. Ferguson, Cormier and Nunes are the others but if I need wins I go for my CAF because as you said Zero, nearly every fight at LW is against McGregor and it’s so boring. At HW, every fight is against Cormier and at WBW every fight is against Nunes. I hate using the two of them but they’re the only competitive items in their divisions.

Love using Ferguson to beat up the Conor fanboys though, have a 3 star necktie card on him which is rare enough so whenever they get rocked and try to panic wrestle, I can sprawl and sub them 80% of the time.

Really wish I had more custom fighters as you can choose their stance which is extremely important I’ve found out, but it’s just not worth it if they aren’t 5 stars. Not entirely sure what you mean by restricted, but if you fight as a 3 star, you can still be matched against 5 star opponents, if that’s what you mean?

It’s a pretty deep mode if you play it a lot, but I wouldn’t recommend getting into it at this stage. You’d be playing catch-up and lose interest quickly unless you spent money on it I reckon.

Good stuff, yeah with the gold I thought gold cards only went to 3 stars and then you need special event cards for 4 and 5? Might have that totally wrong.

I just remember having to grind tokens to trade them for a chance at a good card and constantly unlocking grapplers who only have good stats in clinch, was infuriating and boring.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Good stuff, yeah with the gold I thought gold cards only went to 3 stars and then you need special event cards for 4 and 5? Might have that totally wrong.

I just remember having to grind tokens to trade them for a chance at a good card and constantly unlocking grapplers who only have good stats in clinch, was infuriating and boring.

You can use those daily tokens on champion fighter sets. Most of them are 4 star fighters, but McGregor, Cormier and Nunes are all 5 star. You can get some 4 stars in event packs but they’re usually not great, keep an eye on promos because that’s where the bulk of the 5 star fighters are coming from. The current one will give you 5 star “bizarro” fighters if you grind the solo challenges, so you could get 5 star versions of certain fighters if they were the complete opposite of their real life selves. So you can get a Rousey or Khabib who are elite strikers, or the likes of Wonderboy and McGregor with lethal ground games.

If you finished the daily objectives most days for a month or so, you’d have enough tokens for at least one 5 star fighter, if not 2. The whole mode is overly complicated and full of shîte promos like that which are rarely worth your time, but other than that it’s great. :pac: I think I just like the misery.

Megan getting added to 3 or EA collecting scans for 4?

I'm guessing 4 will be announced at E3 in June.

https://twitter.com/MeganA_mma/status/1128732152563105794?s=19

Probably just doing motion capture stuff, doubt he's in UFC cover peak condition at the minute.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Probably just doing motion capture stuff, doubt he's in UFC cover peak condition at the minute.

Ufc Vancouver this weekend, I'd say they are getting as many fighters in as possible. Also, I'd be interested in knowing if it's UFC or EA bigwigs that decide cover fighters. As much as DC is loved by the company, i imagine they'd prefer Conor on the cover. Actually wouldn't be surprised if he was but he didn't be anywhere near it (hopefully that way he can avoid the cover course).

Who do ye think will be on it and who ye think SHOULD be on it?

Advertisement