Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin vs Laois, Leinster Hurling Championship

• 05-06-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭

dublincrest.jpg
    v
    Laois%20Crest.jpg

Leinster Hurling Championship Round 1

Sunday 6th June, 3.30pm

Nowlan Park, Kilkenny

Dublin
    1. Gary Maguire (Ballyboden St Endas)
    2. Niall Corcoran (Kilmacud Crokes)
    3. Tomás Brady (Na Fianna)
    4. Oisín Gough (Cuala)
    5. Stephen Hiney (Ballyboden St Endas)
    6. Joey Boland (Na Fianna)
    7. Maurice OBrien (Faughs)
    8. Johnny McCaffrey (Lucan Sarsfields)
    9. Shane Durkin (Ballyboden St Endas)
    10. Peter Kelly (Lucan Sarsfields)
    11. Liam Rushe (St Pats, Palmerstown)
    12. Paul Ryan (Ballyboden St Endas)
    13. David OCallaghan (St Marks)
    14. Simon Lambert (Ballyboden St Endas)
    15. Alan McCrabbe (Craobh Chiaráin)

Subs
    16 Alan Nolan (St Brigids)
    17 Dave Byrne (Nh Mearnóg)
    18 Michael Carton (OTooles)
    19 Peadar Carton (OTooles)
    20 David Curtin (Ballyboden St Endas)
    21 Ronan Fallon (St Vincents)
    22 Kevin Flynn (OTooles)
    23 John Kelly (St Marks)
    24 Mick May (Lucan Sarsfields)
    25 Declan ODwyer (Nh Olaf)
    26 Seán OSullivan (St Brigids)
    27 Liam Ryan (OTooles)
    28 Shane Ryan (Nh Mearnóg)
    29 Ruarí Trainor (St Vincents)
    30 Finn McGarry (Ballyboden St Endas)

Laois
    E Reilly, JA Delaney, D Maher, C Healy; B Campion, M Whelan, M McEvoy; C Dunne, J Walsh; J Fitzpatrick, Z Keenan, W Hyland; T Fitzgerald, N Foyle, J Brophy

The Dublin hurlers kick off their championship campaign tomorrow afternoon in Nowlan Park against Laois with the winner having a relatively straightforward tie against Kilkenny in the semi-final to look forward to!:p

David Treacy has been ruled out through injury but apart from him, Anthony Daly has a full compliment of players to choose from. I'm really not sure what to expect from Dublin this year but it's imperative that they kick this campaign off with a win tomorrow against a handy enough Laois side. Dotsy O'Callaghan and McCrabbe will obviously be key for Dublin but the form players coming into the championship are McCaffrey and Durkin in midfield and Maurice O'Brien at wing back and if they can dominate along with the rest of the half back line, that should hopefully see us through.

I have to admit that I don't know too much about this Laois team, so hopefully someone can go into a bit more detail there.

Unfortunately I wont be able to make it down to Kilkenny tomorrow. I tend to get nosebleeds crossing the M50!:D Summer's finally starting though!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I fully expect a big win for the Dubs - although I expected the same from 2 teams today... and they both lost....so.... pile your money on Laois;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dont write off this Laois team, they are full of young, hungry, skilful hurlers.

Dublin by 2 or 3 but Laois will be with them all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

is this game being shown online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Dont write Laois off too early.

The team has been making great progress, and although the Carlow result didnt highlight any vast improvements, having a Championship game under their belts can only help in preparation for this game with the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Trampas

sos33 wrote: »
    is this game being shown online?

Doesn't appear to be on rte.ie thought it would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I checked and its not. I've had great fun in the past watching a game on the laptop with another on the telly. I guess I'll have to watch the highlights tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Final score: Dublin 0-25 Laois 0-16

Not a great game by all accounts with Laois hitting plenty of wides and having 2 men sent off but it's early days in the championship and it's just good to get off to a winning start. Kilkenny will definitely be heavy favourites for the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Criminal amount of wides by Laois let us down, I'm guessing about 15 or 16? I thought we matched Dublin around the park. Dublin defence were quick to the ball. Kilkenny should cruise it but having said that it was a decent workout for the dubs today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

markfla wrote: »
    Criminal amount of wides by Laois let us down, I'm guessing about 15 or 16? I thought we matched Dublin around the park. Dublin defence were quick to the ball. Kilkenny should cruise it but having said that it was a decent workout for the dubs today
    Sounds like atrocious shooting from Laois. Laois will be delighted at the draw though. They still have a great opportunity to get it right this year avoiding the likes of Tipp and Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Atrocious shooting today coupled with indiscipline ensured Laois failed to progress.

For all the hype around Dublin and an expected win, Laois showed that they can compete at that level, despite what Rigney says. He knows Laois could have won today. As he said, scoring 16 points, and having 17 wides wont win championship games.

What I'm disappointed about, is that Laois have to face Carlow again, for the 2nd time in this years championship, and 2nd time in 3 games.
    Surely that shouldnt have been allowed, even if it meant a tougher game for Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Mossin wrote: »
    What I'm disappointed about, is that Laois have to face Carlow again, for the 2nd time in this years championship, and 2nd time in 3 games.
    Surely that shouldnt have been allowed, even if it meant a tougher game for Laois.

TBH, its Carlow I feel bad for. In the preliminaries for the Championship and qualifiers (hypothetically having the longest route), playing Laois 3 times in a row (last league match was against Laois).

From a Laois point of view, yeah its annoying to spend money on whats basically a replay, but (since I expect Laois to win) but think of it as an extra match for supporters, and extra experience for the players.

As for the Dublin V Laois game itself,

Laois dominated mid field, and at half time Laois had scored 8 out of 16 chances, Dublin scored 10 out of 11.
    Laois were hugely improved from the Carlow game, and Dublin didnt pull away till Laois were down to 14 men (the second sending off didnt help either :p). The final score line doesnt reflect what was honestly an enjoyable, close, game of hurling.

Dublin, to their credit, had excellent half backs (which made the full backs redundant) and excellent precision from all players - their top scorer only put over 5 of the 25 points!

[edit] Actually, I missed the Sunday Game, was there any mention or footage of the off the ball incident that crippled Willie Hyland? [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I was there, amongst the much larger than officially announced crowd. A good win, but Kilkenny won't be shaking in their boots. We've a lot to do to put up a good challenge.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

TBH, its Carlow I feel bad for. In the preliminaries for the Championship and qualifiers (hypothetically having the longest route), playing Laois 3 times in a row (last league match was against Laois).

From a Laois point of view, yeah its annoying to spend money on whats basically a replay, but (since I expect Laois to win) but think of it as an extra match for supporters, and extra experience for the players.

As for the Dublin V Laois game itself,

Laois dominated mid field, and at half time Laois had scored 8 out of 16 chances, Dublin scored 10 out of 11.
    Laois were hugely improved from the Carlow game, and Dublin didnt pull away till Laois were down to 14 men (the second sending off didnt help either :p). The final score line doesnt reflect what was honestly an enjoyable, close, game of hurling.

Dublin, to their credit, had excellent half backs (which made the full backs redundant) and excellent precision from all players - their top scorer only put over 5 of the 25 points!

[edit] Actually, I missed the Sunday Game, was there any mention or footage of the off the ball incident that crippled Willie Hyland? [/edit]

The linesman was up with the play from were i was sitting and it didnt warrant his intervention. The Laois player was treated for a foot injury.

As for the game, We made hard work of beating laois. If Laois had of had a few scoring forwards we would have been in trouble. We struggled all day to win any of our ball.

kilkenny will not have any problems beating us based on yesterdays preformance

Mullet wrote: »
    The linesman was up with the play from were i was sitting and it didnt warrant his intervention.

Thats an inference tbh; there are many possible explanations for why the linesman didnt say anything, lets not forget the two occasions he blew his whistle when the ball hadnt actually gone out and the ref had to do a drop ball.

Its odd that a player could so badly hurt himself when no play was going on around him.
    But at the same time, Rigney didnt mention it in his after the match interview, and its not in the papers, so maybe there was nothing.

But I'd love to know, did anyone actually see Hyland go down and care to shed some light on the exact circumstances.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

Thats an inference tbh; there are many possible explanations for why the linesman didnt say anything, lets not forget the two occasions he blew his whistle when the ball hadnt actually gone out and the ref had to do a drop ball.

Its odd that a player could so badly hurt himself when no play was going on around him.
    But at the same time, Rigney didnt mention it in his after the match interview, and its not in the papers, so maybe there was nothing.

But I'd love to know, did anyone actually see Hyland go down and care to shed some light on the exact circumstances.

Boland and hyland seemed to be competing for the laois keepers puckout when hyland went down. Boland was about to launch an attack when the ref blew up. The linesman was within 10 yards of the play. The ref and linesman were wired up and communicated with each other. None of the Laois players made an issue about it. Normally if something had happened players would be shouting the odds and that certainly didn't happen. I could be corrected but i thought the game was restarted with a laois puck out.

As for the two Laois players sent off. I think both were very harsh and they are trying to make hurling a non contact sport and in doing that they are ruining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Mullet wrote: »

As for the two Laois players sent off. I think both were very harsh and they are trying to make hurling a non contact sport and in doing that they are ruining it.

Did they get straight Reds or 2nd yellows? Just hoping here that they were straight reds as otherwise its hard to see us taking Laois even at home. Good side, and 17 wides yesterday shows they must have had most of that game, just shooting let them down.

Probably right Mullet, both were double yellows Stevewc

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Just as an aside to this, Ronan Fallon has left the dublin panel due to a lack of game. Reported in todays star.

Big loss for the panel, might not be the player he was a couple of years ago but still a valuable asset to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I thought it was a very good game of hurling. Laois are improving bit by bit every game. If we had to score the three wides at the start of the second half I think we could have gained the confidence to push on. Dublin's point taking on the other hand was excellent, I think the Dubs had only three wides in the game? Daly will have them fired up for KK and I think it will be close... 4pts to KK.

Advertisement