Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fitting outdoor security sensor lights?

• 25-10-2007 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

I am about to fit2 outdoor security sensor lights, one at the back and one at the side of my house.These are the lights that come on once they sense body heat or when you pass a sensor beam.Now there are already outdoor lights in place but are controlled like any other light i.e when switched on and I want to replace them with the security lights.Is it just a simple case of disconnecting the current light and reconnecting the security ones?I attach a link of a similar light that I wish to install

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=5974&loc=P&catid=6.7.1

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

Straight forward enough....you just need to run a mains voltage to the sensor and light to work. You can buy a good sensor in B&Q or Woodies for about €25. Not sure it those cheaper sensors last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Just replace the current light with the new sensor light. Obviously if you turn it off at the switch it won't work - Best to leave it switched on all the time, the light will only come on after dark anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if the sensor light has a built in photocell you can leave it on perminantly as it will only allow the pir to activate the light in darkness.if it does not have a photocell an external one is easily wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Thanks lads.Seems simple enough so

just a quick note, when drilling the holes for the new fixture make sure you dont drill into the cable that is there for the existing light, ive seen a lot of ppl do that and if it happens its time consuming and messy to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

just a quick note, when drilling the holes for the new fixture make sure you dont drill into the cable that is there for the existing light, ive seen a lot of ppl do that and if it happens its time consuming and messy to fix.

Thanks for the tip.Got one in Woodies today €16.99 with motion sensor.handy to have especially at back of house

yep there a good idea and we sell loads of them, ive a few up here myself . the only differance is i used a separate pir and a separate photocell. its about 5 times as exspensive as the combi unit like you bought but it gives you more adjustment and more scope on the field of vision on the pir. when the pir is built into the lamp it can only look in what ever the direction the lamp is facing. the combi lamps are great for straight forward installs. if you have it put a dab of grease on the screw that holds the glass closed as it usually oxidizes quickly and can snap the head off when opening up to change a bulb in the future.

Advertisement