Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Got cloudy this evening and quite cool tbh. Was lovely from about 2-6pm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭acequion

Bit of a nip in Tralee and very hazy. But really nice nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Never really cleared completely in Sligo town. Got to 19.7c but could see the blue sky up towards Donegal where it was not as cloudy and it got to 21.9c here.

Thats it for this spell.

Still a chill even with high temperatures. Must be the low humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Anyone notice the ring/halo around the moon tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely calm, quiet monochrome morning. Pleasantly mild. A pity re the "hordes of Midian"! Gentle weather. Bliss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Amazing sunrise in Dublin airport this morning. Always has spectacular sunsets and sunrises as it's slightly elevated from the surrounding city and countryside.

Love these type of crisp early summer mornings, 7c.

IMG-20190516-055654-484.jpg
    photo hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Sunrise in Sligo this morning - a shepherds warning ?
    10.5 C
    20190516_052059.jpg

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Sunrise in Sligo this morning - a shepherds warning ?
    10.5 C
    20190516_052059.jpg

You are safe.. the adage refers to red sky and that is gold....out here definitely a rosy hue!

and a very welcome drop of the wet stuff out here. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Raining West Clare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pleasant morning in Meath, hazy sunshine and mild.

• Advertisement

Still only 2mm rain in Sligo town after 15 days of May.

Cracks have appeared in the soil and grass turning yellow at borders.

pauldry wrote: »
    Still only 2mm rain in Sligo town after 15 days of May.

Cracks have appeared in the soil and grass turning yellow at borders.

Having to water seedlings etc twice a day now; it was a tiny shower earlier west mayo offshore

we need a good soaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Graces7 wrote: »
    Having to water seedlings etc twice a day now; it was a tiny shower earlier west mayo offshore

we need a good soaking.

do you use tap water?

my borders are parched but I'm loathe to use the tap water - running out of options. My water butt is long empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

we are ok in Cork City, think there was a shower during the night because neighbours extension roof has puddles on it now :p.

Everything still green besides or two bits of grass near the footpaths, loving it though. Netweather shows a shower coming though.

Overcast today but still mild thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Netweather shows a shower coming though.

Overcast today but still mild thankfully

I think describing what's arriving into much of Cork now could be described as being more than a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

highdef wrote: »
    I think describing what's arriving into much of Cork now could be described as being more than a shower.

i think your right :p It updated since my post.

lawred2 wrote: »
    do you use tap water?

my borders are parched but I'm loathe to use the tap water - running out of options. My water butt is long empty.

For chemical concern or conservation? Yes but I am very economical with water . would rather my plants drank than I drink.. wash by hand anyway and use that etc etc No hose pipe just a bucket.

i think your right :p It updated since my post.

Just checked met.ie and looking promising all the way up the west coast :)

Graces7 wrote: »
    For chemical concern or conservation? Yes but I am very economical with water . would rather my plants drank than I drink.. wash by hand anyway and use that etc etc No hose pipe just a bucket.

both really... might take drastic action and fill up the water butt with water from the mains.. let the chlorine evaporate over a day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This is a comparison of all Mays' monthly mean temperatures at selected Irish stations back to 1958 and including 2019 up to the 15th.

The overall May 2019 mean temperature when you average these stations up to the 15th is 9.5c, which is comparable with the first half of May 2010 and May 2013. The last time Ireland had a whole May that sustained this level of cooler than average conditions was 1996 with a monthly mean temperature of 9.2c using these stations' data.

The coldest May since 1996 was May 2015 with a monthly mean temperature of 10.1c followed by May 2013 with 10.3c, May 2005 with 10.7c and May 2010 with 10.9c. May 1979 was easily the coldest with a monthly mean temperature of 8.9c, continuing on from a long bitterly cold Winter that year.

May 1990 (12.7c) and May 2008 (13.1c) stand out as the warmest on record especially 2008 though May 2017 (12.4c) and May 1992 (12.6c) were quite remarkable too.

raziweX.png

Wonder how these figures compare to the IMT.

Data from CSO and Met Éireann.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    both really... might take drastic action and fill up the water butt with water from the mains.. let the chlorine evaporate over a day or so

lol.. I had never thought of that; thank you,. No butt here but I can use containers..

But then so rare we get these times and the plants do not seem to mind..

We have had a small sprinkling..

Funny that May seems totally unaffected by climate change in comparison to say our Winters or Summers

A mild, moist and MIDGY morning... went out to admire the mild part and was attacked violently and sneakily by the hordes of Midian itch, scratch, itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry and sunny start to the day in Castlebar at 13 degrees. Looks like some rain crossing the irish sea will move into eastern areas, not mentioned on any met eireann broadcast yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Cold. Light rain Meath.

Think Met Eireann forecast typers have been on AL the past two days.

Forecasts very lax.

TV ones fine but the one on site is not what standard they normally have.

Still at 2.5mm in Sligo

Rains missed us yesterday while Strandhill had a downpour.

Not so lucky this evening in all likelihood

Even more interesting is the fact that Markree had 18mm of rain yesterday....prob Standhill downpour too

So Sligo Microclimate May

Markree 26mm for month
    Sligo town 2.5mm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

raining now in Meath, feeling rather chilly too. So far the highest temperature we've had this month at Dunshaughlin is only 18C (last Monday), I am not sure if we'll get any higher than that for the remainder of this month. We had 23C here in April during the warm spell, so this May appears to be a rather cool one.

Forecast for Dublin today is badly off.

Hazy sunshine with passing clouds.. instead it's 11 degrees, blanket cloud and rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Light spits of rain in Arklow also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Lots of rain on the radar for East and south east. This was being forecast earlier the week then seemed to disappear from the forecasts but its happening now! Hence my confusion at the rain and not being prepared despite keeping close eye on forecasts.

Advertisement