Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Lost taste and smell. Strange to have no taste or smell at all. Couldn't taste or smell my coffee no mater how strong it was made . Slowly coming back after two weeks.
    The weakness I felt wasn't like a normal tiredness more of a brain fog through the whole body. I miss my coffee ��
    I'd say i have about 50% taste and smell back. Its strange to lose 2 senses over night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thankfully for me it was short and sharp, few days of bad flu-like symptoms and then gone. Did get extreme fatigue after that for about two days, but no loss of taste or smell, or any lingering effects in general.

Terrible that it can vary from entirely asymptomatic to devastating short/long term (or both) for people from the same age group with no underlying health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

Update: I was diagnosed on 27th December, had a strange sensation in face and a massive cold sore, together with strange sensations on the left side of my face, which are still there. Had also a weird feeling of drooling from my mouth, yet nothing there. This has persisted, to the point where I was beginning to wonder whether I had a mild stroke.
    Noticed some odd blisters some weeks around my waist where I had shingles a number of years ago. Visited A and E on the advice of my Doc yesterday, and it seems that the covid reactivated my shingles from years ago. This thing will floor you one way or another. If anyone has odd symptoms like mine, better to get them checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Update: I was diagnosed on 27th December, had a strange sensation in face and a massive cold sore, together with strange sensations on the left side of my face, which are still there. Had also a weird feeling of drooling from my mouth, yet nothing there. This has persisted, to the point where I was beginning to wonder whether I had a mild stroke.
    Noticed some odd blisters some weeks around my waist where I had shingles a number of years ago. Visited A and E on the advice of my Doc yesterday, and it seems that the covid reactivated my shingles from years ago. This thing will floor you one way or another. If anyone has odd symptoms like mine, better to get them checked out.

I had mild chest pain, a mild cough and lost my sense of taste for a week. That's it, nothing
    floored me.

That said, someone else could have a much rougher time of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Has anyone found a one stop online pharmacy selling all of this?
    Reducing viral load:

1. Betadine or saline gargles twice daily

2. Saline nasal spray or drops with a few drops betadine in it twice daily

3. Saline nasal rinse in a soft squeezable bottle as needed (250ml cooled boiled water, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda,1/2 tsp salt +/- few drops betadine)

4. Steam inhalation with Vicks especially if having loss of smell

5. Nasal decongestants eg. Otrivin nasal spray, phenylephrine, antihistamine tablets also helpful

It's from this excellent video

For example, it doesn't look like Betadine is on sale with any Irish pharmacy. Just Ebay is showing and, well, feck that buying pharmacy supplies off Ebay

Saline nasal rinse is sold out on my usual go to pharmacy sites too

Any website links where I can get all the above in one shop would be great

Thanks

• Advertisement

If you have mild symptoms then a pulse oximeter (for reassurance) and painkillers are all you need.

Shoving stuff up your nose is not worth it and just adds to the distress. Don't bother, it's a waste of money. Your body will deal with the virus fine on its own.

The pulse oximeter is handy, I have one and it reassured me that I was fairly ok even when I felt a bit under the weather. Below 96% is not great and I'd be calling the oul' GP. Mine never went below 98% and I have pretty small lungs.

One important thing that REALLY helped me was to stay hydrated, at least 2.5L per day. Turns out I have been underhydrating myself for years and I could've got into trouble if I'd kept going like that.

I've had no symptoms for the last two days and am allowed out tomorrow, thank fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes plenty of fluids

I've bad back pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

First symptoms were Friday so I'm on day 6.
    I am flat today, no energy. Mornings are particularly grim. Back is sore, area where the lungs are but temperature after about 12 hours without paracetamol was below 37.8.
    Had a couple of pills to take the edge off.

Lungs feel fine and I'm doing a few breathing exercises. Had a bit of phlegm up but nothing compared to a chest infection.

The tiredness though..still trying to pace around the room just to keep myself going but today has been the worst so far.

Anybody out there start feeling better after a certain day???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes plenty of fluids

I've bad back pain

Did you get it JP Liz V1? How are you doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    The tiredness though..still trying to pace around the room just to keep myself going but today has been the worst so far.

I hope you're feeling better, much better, soon!

• Advertisement

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Did you get it JP Liz V1? How are you doing ?

Yes got it, home now as had to go CUH over low oxygen and hard to breathe

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better very soon.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better very soon.

I'm getting there thank you

I'm getting there thank you

Get well soon, take care of yourself when you recover.

A couple of symptoms I'm having in these last two or three weeks are like my mind is in overdrive, in hyperactivity. It seems I have trillions of thoughts going on all together and this thing kind of "burns" my ability to think clearly, and makes me tired soon, before noon I'm already exhausted.
    Then another one, occasionally I feel like a sense of weight on my upper chest, right under my throat, and when this happens I feel my breath short, like I am breathing smoke in, and I feel like I have to cough. Of course it's just a sensation, nothing real. It usualy happens after having a bite, a snack.
    My oximeter says it's all fine, 98-99%.
    Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's been over a month since I had it. Again, at the time, it was nothing of note. Very much like a sinus infection.
    I have exercised since as I've a Malinois which is a ridiculously high drive dog, and so I walk a lot but it's always spaced out with pee breaks (the dog, not me) or sniffing.

Myself and a friend decided to go up the mountain close to my house at the weekend (it's within 5km) and since it was last minute, we were rushing to get up before dark. About 15 minutes into the climb, I had to stop. It felt like I could only use the top bit of my lungs, I could taste blood and I had the horrid popping feeling in my head that I have gotten before I pass out. With chronic sinus problems, not being able to breathe properly is a familiar feeling but this was different. I told my friend to go on and I'd wait where I was. The stubborn side of me refused to quit though, and I slowly went up after them. Ever since then, lying down leaves a heavy feeling on my chest, right at the bottom of where I'm lying.

I can only assume that covid did actually affect me more than I had originally felt and as that was the first time I really pushed myself since getting it, I'm feeling the consequences now.

I can only assume that covid did actually affect me more than I had originally felt and as that was the first time I really pushed myself since getting it, I'm feeling the consequences now.

My idea is that some consequences show up later, much later, even wehn one has recovered.
    My long symptoms showed up a few months after I recovered, so it's very annoying and disappointing that when you think you got over it, actually it's when it just begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Has anyone else had there cough linger ? on day 9 now after first symptoms and a positive test 7 days ago. breathing difficulties are fine now and fever only last the first day but the slight cough is still lingering along with some tirdness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

hope your doing better and TLCing yourself or even better getting someone else too :)

Do you have an idea how low your oxygen went..pm if you dont wish to post..thanks

keep the chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Got a test last Wednesday after showing symptoms Tuesday evening. Tested positive on Thursday. Wife tested on Friday and positive on Saturday.

Symptoms were sore throat, a cough and dizziness. No temperature.

I’ve been shattered since. Very bad fatigue. Sleeping loads during the day. The cough got worse and had affected my breathing but seems to have settled down a bit. Aches and pains all over and I’ve been waking in the middle of the night covered in sweat with the sheets wet. Something that has never happened to me.

Yesterday I felt a little bit better and though I was turning a corner but today it’s been back with a vengeance, especially the fatigue. Struggling to stay awake for long periods despite not doing anything. All along my temperature hasn’t spiked although it has felt like it.

I haven’t lost my sense of smell or taste thank god as I love my food.
    I’m isolating until next Saturday and hoping I’m well on the road to recovery then. I am a little worried I will have some longer lasting symptoms as I constantly feel like I haven’t slept in a week.

The only medication we ave been taking is paracetamol occasionally. Wife has more or less the same symptoms but a bit milder.

It’s only the two of us so having it at the same time means at least we only have to isolate together in the house rather than be apart.

I realize that I have a fairly mild version of it compared to many, and Im thankful for that but it really has knocked me sideways so far.

Btw although I had a cough, it was the woozy head that sort of had me suspicious that I had it. I would have got tested with the cough anyway but the disorientation I felt was something I hadn’t encountered since I had a bad dose of the flu when I was a kid.

• Advertisement

Jayziz it doesn't sound like that mild of a dose in fairness. Mind yourself.

adox wrote: »
    I am a little worried I will have some longer lasting symptoms as I constantly feel like I haven’t slept in a week.
    [...]
    Btw although I had a cough, it was the woozy head that sort of had me suspicious that I had it.

This is how I still feel after about 10 months later. It seems to me these two symptoms (alonf with a few others) showed up weeks/months after I recovered from the virus. It's a strange thing.

Sometimes I feel sleepy even an hour after I woke up in the morning, or while I'm at work, or driving. The doctor said it's alright, and I'm enabled to conduct my normal daily routine and life.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

Tested yesterday positive result this morning, just a slight cough for two or three days nothing to worry about before the test
    Only got tested because son had a bit of a fever on Friday so wanted to get him a negative result before we sent him back into school on Monday so I thought it be handy to get tested at same time
    Was so surprised to get two positive results this morning, he seems well enough and I’m starting to get some chills and feeling a bit tired.It’s the not knowing what way this is going to hit you is the scary part

tenreds wrote: »
    Tested yesterday positive result this morning, just a slight cough for two or three days nothing to worry about before the test
    Only got tested because son had a bit of a fever on Friday so wanted to get him a negative result before we sent him back into school on Monday so I thought it be handy to get tested at same time
    Was so surprised to get two positive results this morning, he seems well enough and I’m starting to get some chills and feeling a bit tired.It’s the not knowing what way this is going to hit you is the scary part

Absolutely!
    When I tested positive, I was on the edge every single day waiting to see if any of my very slight symptoms was going to worsen, or if any new one was going to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

So it’s been 7 or 8 days since my first symptoms and I’m sitting here at home and feeling ok at the moment
    I have had no symptoms yesterday and today and I’m wondering could I be over the worst, symptoms during the week were bit of a fever, chills aches and pains and feeling tired.My cough went away same day I got my positive result
    Anybody else have week like this and would this be normal for a mild dose of COVID.I’m hoping I don’t jinx myself and I’m past the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

tenreds wrote: »
    So it’s been 7 or 8 days since my first symptoms and I’m sitting here at home and feeling ok at the moment
    I have had no symptoms yesterday and today and I’m wondering could I be over the worst, symptoms during the week were bit of a fever, chills aches and pains and feeling tired.My cough went away same day I got my positive result
    Anybody else have week like this and would this be normal for a mild dose of COVID.I’m hoping I don’t jinx myself and I’m past the worst

I think you should be good. Very similar symptoms to me. Day 6 was the toughest but never had a worry that I was going to be in trouble.
    Taste and smell went on day 7 and are coming back now some three weeks later. Not 100% but since Friday I can taste food again. Supposedly I'm very lucky with that time frame.
    Keep looking after yourself, I doubt anyone who gets this has the same problems, every infection throws different things at people.
    You may still feel tiredness but as soon as you can get out for walks do it as it will make you feel better, even if you don't want to.
    As I said..look after yourself. Your nearly there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’m on day 10 and the fatigue is the main thing for me. I still have a cough although it was eased. I still have aches and pains but they have also eased.

I slept late yesterday morning, slept in the afternoon and had eight hours sleep last night. I feel like I haven’t slept at all. I’m going to go for a nap again this afternoon.

I lost my taste for 24 hours and it came back so I’m lucky that way. Eating has been one of the creature comforts that I’ve regally enjoyed while being unwell.

Technically I’m not longer contagious(although my wife who also has it is two days behind me) but I still feel a long way from being well.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I’m on day 8 from first symptoms and I’m just about starting to feel human again. The worst thing for me was the headaches. 5/6 in my house tested positive and the worst hit by far was the baby. He’s on the mend now but it was extremely scary for a few days and we felt extremely worried, alone and completely helpless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

People who haven’t had COVID or at least haven’t tested positive from it also have a lot of the symptoms described here. A lot of people are absolutely exhausted from being locked down. Also a lot of people suffering from depression and anxiety which can cause chest tightness, headaches etc. I do hope you all feel well soon but long coved is far from a proven thing, and it seems to have an endless amount of possibilities where possible symptoms are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

People who haven’t had COVID or at least haven’t tested positive from it also have a lot of the symptoms described here. A lot of people are absolutely exhausted from being locked down. Also a lot of people suffering from depression and anxiety which can cause chest tightness, headaches etc. I do hope you all feel well soon but long coved is far from a proven thing, and it seems to have an endless amount of possibilities where possible symptoms are concerned.
    Yeah, no. I have pretty bad anxiety with regular enough attacks, and life long sinus issues. I am very familiar tight chests and not being able to breathe. This was a very different sensation.

Advertisement