Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my paint so weak!

• 24-01-2021 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi!

So I made a box from birch ply to store my weightlifting equipment in, sealed up the exposed ply edges with wood glue to stop it absorbing all the paint.

Cleaned, painted with a wood primer, light sanding and cleaned dust off, then 2 coats of Curpinal Matt wood paint for garden furniture, to protect from rain etc.

It looked great at first. But it’s already chipping off! It’s been 2 weeks. Just a light scrape with my fingernails takes it off!

I also want to use it as a box jump/step up box, surely paint should be tougher than that?

I’m planning on painting my kitchen cabinets and don’t want to have the same issue..

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have the same problem, except it is in a house that was fully repainted. Most of the paint is fine, but on three doors you can easily scrape the paint off with a thumbnail with little pressure. In my case I have to suppose the doors had something on them that wasn't cleaned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Don't sand the primer coat, it's meant to be rough to give the paint something to grip too

Paint coming off the primer or priming coming off the wood?

Just on the edges or anywhere on the surface?

What glue brand and type?

What primer brand?

Did you sand the wood? What grit?

What grit dod you use to key the primer?

Pictures of the problem always help.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭salad17

JayZeus wrote: »
    Paint coming off the primer or priming coming off the wood?

Just on the edges or anywhere on the surface?

What glue brand and type?

What primer brand?

Did you sand the wood? What grit?

What grit dod you use to key the primer?

Pictures of the problem always help.

Sorry for delay, was waiting to get pics.

Paint comes off easier down to primer but primer is coming off easily too.

On the surface and edges.

Sorry the glue is probably irrelevant because I just put that on the exposed ends to stop paint getting absorbed, but it’s not on the surface where the paint is coming off.

Primer is Goodhome wood primer and undercoat for interior and exterior surfaces

I didn’t sand the wood because it’s birch ply so already sanded

Very light sanding on primer wth 120grit

Video attached, it’s wet now because of the rain but was happening in the dry too!

Thanks for your help

Video won’t upload so just pics but I scraped this with fingernails very easily, and you can see where the spotty bit was just coming off itself

• Advertisement

Primer failure, IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Was the Primer fully dry before you painted over it?

I left it to dry for about 24 hours so I think so? Also seemed fully dry when I was sanding.

I don't even normally bother with primer but wanted to make sure this was waterproof!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's pretty cold/damp at the moment, were you painting inside/outside?

It would have been outside but not when it was this damp, back when it was sunnier.

Well can I at least be confident in saying this isn't normal and it should normally be much stronger than that?

And what's the best solution, sand it back and restart? Fully sand it off or just back the primer and then add another coat of primer plus paint and dry for longer?

• Advertisement

Bare, if you're doing it. And don't use the same primer.

Also, if you sand it back and intend on painting, 120 grit and no higher.

If it was me, I'd get a good scraper to get most of the paint and primer off first, then sand to key the surface at 120 grit before priming again.

But don't use the same primer and paint or you may well have the same results all over again.

Ok thank you.

What should I look out for when buying a paint and primer?

Sorry to bump this, but can anyone tell me what I should look out for when buying paint/primer to avoid primer failure?

Other than just buying the most expensive brand and hoping that it's the best quality?

You should ask in the store or from the online supplier from whom you intend to buy. Take their advice as you have at least some comeback with them. From me or anyone here, you have none.

JayZeus wrote: »
    You should ask in the store or from the online supplier from whom you intend to buy. Take their advice as you have at least some comeback with them. From me or anyone here, you have none.

Thanks, fair enough hah, I'm always hesitant to take advice from sales people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

salad17 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this, but can anyone tell me what I should look out for when buying paint/primer to avoid primer failure?

Other than just buying the most expensive brand and hoping that it's the best quality?

Any of the Bin or Fleetwood primers are good

Advertisement