Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film to HD transfers (split from BBC Three)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Be very surprised if Virgin don't get it - hopefully HD and get BBC Four in HD.

What's the point in a HD archive channel? Most of the stuff was recorded on film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Delta2113

HD is better than SD - it's really that simple. I don't really understand the point your trying to make.

I'm currently watching the Killing on BBC4 on Virgin and would love to have it in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Delta2113 wrote: »
    HD is better than SD - it's really that simple. I don't really understand the point your trying to make.

I'm currently watching the Killing on BBC4 on Virgin and would love to have it in HD.

BBC Four transmits from 7.00 pm ........ don't understand .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

What's the point in a HD archive channel? Most of the stuff was recorded on film

If it was recorded on film (and not video tape) then the resolution is still there in the negatives to remaster in HD. In practice though I doubt they would do that for much of the content on BBC4 which seems quite niche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Film at 35mm is more HD than digital HD. If you think otherwise it's because you're looking at broadcast copies made from less than pristine prints or at a SD channel like Film 4 etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Interesting question,was film,depending on what type, not capable of HD quality in post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Film can be rescanned in HD resolution in most cases. Hence the Blu-ray remasters of shows like Star Trek TNG and Friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

That's my understanding,and of course 16mm cameras,like the Aaton were always capable of 16x9,even when Television wasn't!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Assuming decent quality film stock, properly stored since, 16mm can be scanned to HD. 35mm can be scanned to 4k.

Absolutely worth having HD services for that era of content

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’ve split off all the film to HD stuff as it’s basically a completely different discussion with little to do with BBC Three.

• Advertisement
Advertisement