Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What big companies do you think will not still be here in a decade 's time?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

quokula wrote: »
    Having 4 times the pixels isn't the same as having 4 times the space, unless your 4k monitor is also a massive 42" screen or something like that. You can fit four times as much information on screen, sure, but in reality you're just going to be increasing the font size or you'll really need to squint.
    Most laptops are 15" screens. A 30" 4K Monitor is the equivalent of 4 of those screens. No scaling or squinting required. Ideally, one would have a bigger screen, but from 30" up (i.e. a large monitor), you have 4 screens.
    Most normal monitors are higher than 1080p anyway, they're somewhere in the middle - mine are both 1440p which is 2K
    You have to remember we are talking about workplaces and laptops here. 90+% of monitors in offices are just HD. The vast majority of non-gamers will have just HD. Hell, even when buying a brand new monitor today, 2/3rds of the monitors on sale in Curry's (which is where many "normal" people will source their monitor) are just HD. Most laptops are just HD (hell, a lot of people I know have 12-13" laptops for work!)
    Having multiple screens creates natural separation between workspaces, simple things like double clicking a title bar to fill an app to the screen it is on become more complicated if you're just working with one very large screen. I don't think I could go back to working on one screen, on the odd occasion I need to it feels very restrictive.

While being able to double click a title bar is something I miss a little, it is all the other advantages I find very useful. For one, there is much better mouse-flow. Given we are generally talking about people here with a laptop and a monitor screen, often the monitor screen is "kind of a above and a bit to the right of the laptop screen. Working with 4 individual monitors in the past, it was a nightmare finding "where is the mouse cursor" and then moving it all the way from screen 1 to screen 4. Another huge advantage is that I can have 1 application take up the full screen if required. Handy for graphics/development IDE etc. Or I can very easily resize it to take up the full length of the screen, but only half the width and have 2 other applications/documents up in the other half. The combinations are endless and the freedom is extremely useful.

Anyway, I don't want to go further off-topic, so I will go back to my original point (on-topic) and that is that Desktops are far from dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

There is a legal requirement for a post office I think.

An Post has become the favoured delivery service of Amazon here, after years of issues with presumably cheaper alternatives. So it's competitive for businesses.

I switched from ParcelMotel to Addresspal after a sharp deterioration of service with PM in the last two years. I couldn't find anything to match Addresspal either. So it's competitive for consumers.

I'd be the first to criticise Irish Semi-States but An Post seems to be keeping its head up. Delivery of online shopping is a market that will only expand. Sure we can speculate about drone delivery or whatever taking it's market share but for the time being it's a good racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

True but I can't see them lasting past 2022

The future looks bright for the Weyland-Yutani Corporation.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I can't see Eir lasting in Ireland. Just seems like a ridiculous prospect. And the future of An Post seems similarly dubious.

Eir is currently a subsidiary of a French telecoms company called Iliad SA, which owns Free and Free Mobile in France and Iliad Italia.

They're inevitably going to be around in some shape or form as they the largest fixed line access and core network in the country and one of the 3 infrastructure owning mobile networks.

Someone's going to be running those systems be they Eir / Iliad or someone else, but the company's very unlikely to disappear anytime soon.

An Post will exist for as long as there's a need for a postal service. I don't think that's going to go away anytime soon either. It's basically a state service and the small packets business will likely keep growing and growing. Its very hard for any other company to even duplicate that network that's been around since the 16th century and can reach every address in the state within 24h. It, along with a lot of European post offices, is amongst the most long-lived organisations in the world.

Eir is currently a subsidiary of a French telecoms company called Iliad SA, which owns Free and Free Mobile in France and Iliad Italia.

They're inevitably going to be around in some shape or form as they the largest fixed line access and core network in the country and one of the 3 mobile networks.

Someone's going to be running those systems be they Eir / Iliad or someone else, but the company's very unlikely to disappear anytime soon.

An Post will exist for as long as there's a need for a postal service. I don't think that's going to go away anytime soon either. It's basically a state service and the small packets business will likely keep growing and growing. Its very hard for any other company to even duplicate that network that's been around since the 16th century and can reach every address in the state within 24h. It, along with a lot of European post offices, is amongst the most long-lived organisations in the world.
    Although I do disagree with most of the above, I suppose we will only have answer a decade from now. I doubt boards will still be around, but I would be pleasantly surprised if each of the above make it through the 20's!

I think when Amazon (or its successor) gets a foothold in Ireland, we will be looking at transformed urban design. Even facebook wasnt in the top 10 firms 10 years ago, from what I've just read. We shall see.

• Advertisement

Although I do disagree with most of the above, I suppose we will only have answer a decade from now. I doubt boards will still be around, but I would be pleasantly surprised if each of the above make it through the 20's!

I think when Amazon (or its successor) gets a foothold in Ireland, we will be looking at transformed urban design. Even facebook wasnt in the top 10 firms 10 years ago, from what I've just read. We shall see.

Boards isn't really normal social media. It's quite niche and specific to Ireland so, I'd say it's got more hope of survival than many of the bigger companies.

The main Facebook platform could well be gone in a decade's time though, particularly if it manages to lose advertisers by being a location for hate campaigns and so on. I don't think Facebook as a company will disappear, but I would suspect that the original platform will wither. It's already social media for the older generations at this stage.

I could see a lot of the newspapers in Ireland and elsewhere disappearing, particularly those that have totally failed to make a transition online.

In some ways Distilled Media is actually replicating and replacing some of the business models of the original print media online, in a way they have never managed to do i.e. Distilled Media owns TheJournal.ie and also Daft.ie, Ireland's de facto go-to location for property adverts. It's a similar model to the pre-2008 newspapers.

The Journal also has been moving towards being a far more credible news site over the past few years. I know we all tend to write it off due to its early days of being a bit of an aggregator and rehasher of stories, but that's actually evolved a lot and it's far more like an actual newspaper these days.

I could see several of the Irish print papers disappearing probably within 12 to 24 months. The same would apply to many of the magazine titles.

The other BIG area that will transform here at some stage is the banks. When the European Union and ECB get around to fully opening the Eurozone bank market, removing all barriers (and that will happen in the next few years) a lot of European banks will sink/swim or consolidate. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the Irish banks are either squeezed out by pan-Eurozone operations, or merged into bigger organisations over the next decade.

There's also a lot of room for disruptive fintech operations with products like N26 and Revolt etc taking chunks of the retail banking market.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Will Marks & Spencer remain in the Republic of Ireland?

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Will Marks & Spencer remain in the Republic of Ireland?

Probably. They’ve a significant number of locations on the continent, including food, so I would guess they’ll just reorganise their business somewhat here.

The clothing and household side of their business is mostly not manufactured in the U.K., so not much would change other than perhaps a logistics move to imports arriving in a warehouse in Ireland rather than England. That can be easily outsourced to a logistics company.

The same would apply to most of the British clothing retailers too. If they pull out over Brexit and they’re profitable here, they pretty incompetent, given that it’s just a case of overseas manufacturing delivering directly to here rather than a U.K. centre.

The bigger issue I think is a profound U.K. recession due to covid & Brexit and a whole load of U.K. retailers going bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

blue note wrote: »
    I wonder where sky will be in a decade. They won't be gone, but I don't think their model will work going forward.

There's more competition from the likes of netflix, Disney+, amazon prime, etc. Those companies could also pull the rights from sky for their shows too if they can make more selling it directly themselves.

And I imagine the same will happen with sports. Plenty of people just get sky sports for one of the soccer / Rugby / golf. If they offered their product directly to you via a Web subscription for less than sky, they'd get more power customer and you'd get it cheaper.

You can see that they're trying to change their model so that people can get them via nowtv, watch the on demand stuff, package their TV with their broadband, etc. But basically, they'll have to invest heavily to compete with companies with deeper pockets than them. I wouldn't be investing in them any time soon.

The English Premier League has for some time been thinking about setting up its' own channel.

As production costs keep falling, it means they could cut the middle man out, increase their profits, and reduce the price of their product, increasing exposure for clubs and sponsors.

One thing is for sure, a lower percentage of younger people are gonna sign up for a dish on the side of their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yeah, Sky Sports are goosed. They don't make money off their Sports anymore, so they gave been drifting off to Mobile and Internet over the last few years. They basically take the loss on the Premier League to keep the other arms of the company alive. When you look at their coverage of anything bar live sports, all of the advertising spots are for Sky products themselves.

I also think the Get Woke, Go Broke phenomenon will hit them too. Things have changed a lot since Comcast have taken over. Sky Sports News is near unwatchable now and there are absolutely no external advertisers apart from the odd Starving Kids in Africa ad, which suggests nobody is watching it. Comcast taking over has really sent them down the woke path for of all demographics, Male Sports Fans aged 25-60. You couldn't think of a worse tactic for that demographic. ESPN in America found this out.

IPTV is also murdering them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement