Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What big companies do you think will not still be here in a decade 's time?

• 29-07-2020 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I think that Apple and Facebook will either not be here or they will be like that Irish computer maker that used to be real big and the top seller but it's not exactly a household name now. Sorry its name is there in the back of my head but just not coming to me yet.
    Hopefully someone here will think of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Shamrock Leprechaun Computers LLC?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

DIGITAL?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any company that outsources IT. Especially to the lowest price in India.

Any company that gets a new CEO that figures out how to give the shareholders enough money now that they don't care about running the company into the ground.

Any company that starts trading on it's reputation instead of building it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ireland used to make 90% of the computers for Europe.

Concurrent, Prime, Stratus, Nixdorf, Computer Automation, Amdahl, Apple, Zenith, Wang, Dell, AST ,Digital , Gateway, etc.

and Intel, HP and loads of cards and peripherals made here.

AMKC wrote: »
    I think that Apple and Facebook will either not be here or they will be like that Irish computer maker that used to be real big and the top seller but it's not exactly a household name now.
    IBM?
    (Still here and doing well but you wouldn't necessarily near from them in ordinary life)

Edit, just saw capt'n midnight's post. I bet it was Gateway 2000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Apple and Facebook basically have nothing in common other than they're in the IT sector. Apple's a hardware company that makes money out of selling deluxe hardware mostly and services associated with it. They're also much, much older dating back to the 1976. I could see them shrinking from their current peak, but I don't think they'll disappear anytime soon.

Facebook's basically a data-mining advertising company that's making its money out of your information and is increasingly coming under a lot of regulatory scrutiny and political focus due to the kind of stuff it hosting. I could definitely see Facebook being at the very least broken up.

Google may also be split up due to anti-trust issues. It's just far too dominant to be ignored anymore.

I could see Twitter disappearing as it has limited revenue possibilities.

Personally i think Facebooks days, in it's current form are numbered. Few of my friends still use it. Obviously with a personal fortune of about 65 billion, Zuckerberg has enough money to keep it going past the next ice age, but I still think its reached its peak and the decline has started.

Alot of desktop computer manufacturers are going to close. Who wants a desktop when you can get a laptop with the same specs for similar money?

I also wonder about the future of tablets. My phone does everything a tablet can but on a smaller screen, but, it's more comfortable to hold, more comfortable to type on, fits in my pocket. Pair my phone to some VR glasses that look and feel like regular sunglasses and I could get a cinema screen movie experience via my phone.

Bethlehem Steel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Massive words

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

Irish Water.

Just kidding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Vanderlay industries

Distilled Media.

* cause I is edgey. :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

Controversially...Disney (:eek:)

Well...at least in it's current from. Apparently their finances were not all that great before the pandemic, but they are now bleeding cash out of their many closed parks and attractions.

The brand itself would likely prevail for another 50 - 100 years but the corporation itself is now overloaded with the costs of all of the companies they bought in over the past decade, and apparently they may have been dodging taxes for even longer than that. If lockdowns of the parks continue into next year I'd be surprised if we see a complete Disney Corp. by 2030.

Likely broken up and sold off to various parties to settle debts and tax bills. The parks and movie production divisions might continue to exist under the Disney name but in a scaled back form and maybe even owned by another corporation.

Might see similar happen to a lot of other big studios too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Facebook as a company is a lot more than only its Facebook social media.

It owns Whatsapp, Instagram, and Oculus VR so I wouldn't be writing it off as dead in a decade when it also owns the first/second biggest social medias, a possible future technology in Virtual Reality, and the two biggest messenger clients in the west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kilboor wrote: »

It owns Whatsapp, Instagram, and Oculus VR so I wouldn't be writing it off as dead in a decade when it also owns the first/second biggest social medias, a possible future technology in Virtual Reality, and the two biggest messenger clients in the west.

Would be interesting to see if the main social media element of Facebook's website will be the same or even exist by 2030. About 15 years ago you'd only see the bones of what social media would eventually become. 10-15 years into the future the whole concept may have been superseded by something else.

Related to this, I often wonder if featuring social media prominently in a movie or TV series will horribly age it once social media as we know it goes away :D

I think that Apple and Facebook will either not be here or they will be like that Irish computer maker that used to be real big and the top seller but it's not exactly a household name now. Sorry its name is there in the back of my head but just not coming to me yet.

Apple not here? Not sure how you could arrive at that conclusion. If apple aren't here in 10 years we will all be under water.

Nobody else makes their (exceptionally good) products unlike the vast majority of companies who can't say the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Ipso wrote: »
    Vanderlay industries

Rubbish. There will always be demand for latex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rawr wrote: »
    Controversially...Disney (:eek:)

Well...at least in it's current from. Apparently their finances were not all that great before the pandemic, but they are now bleeding cash out of their many closed parks and attractions.

The brand itself would likely prevail for another 50 - 100 years but the corporation itself is now overloaded with the costs of all of the companies they bought in over the past decade, and apparently they may have been dodging taxes for even longer than that. If lockdowns of the parks continue into next year I'd be surprised if we see a complete Disney Corp. by 2030.

Likely broken up and sold off to various parties to settle debts and tax bills. The parks and movie production divisions might continue to exist under the Disney name but in a scaled back form and maybe even owned by another corporation.

Might see similar happen to a lot of other big studios too.

Disney have never been bigger or stronger, they own almost everything in America, nevermind movies etc,big sporting event delivers money to Disney

Covid won't last forever and they have oceans of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Disney have never been bigger or stronger, they own almost everything in America, nevermind movies etc,big sporting event delivers money to Disney

Covid won't last forever and they have oceans of cash

5Bn in cash last sept. not exactly an ocean for a company their size.

• Advertisement

Kilboor wrote: »

It may be broken back up into some of the companies it acquired. There’s only so far Google and Facebook can go as they’re becoming monopolies much like Standard Oil or Bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Gateway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'd say car companies look particularly vulnerable to changing trends.
    GM, Ford, Fiat Chrysler have fundamentally massive problems. Parts of them may be semi profitable still but not enough to stave off long term decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

denartha wrote: »
    Personally i think Facebooks days, in it's current form are numbered. Few of my friends still use it. Obviously with a personal fortune of about 65 billion, Zuckerberg has enough money to keep it going past the next ice age, but I still think its reached its peak and the decline has started.

Alot of desktop computer manufacturers are going to close. Who wants a desktop when you can get a laptop with the same specs for similar money?

I also wonder about the future of tablets. My phone does everything a tablet can but on a smaller screen, but, it's more comfortable to hold, more comfortable to type on, fits in my pocket. Pair my phone to some VR glasses that look and feel like regular sunglasses and I could get a cinema screen movie experience via my phone.

Offices still use desktops. Plus people working from home are also buying desktops. There's still an industry for them. Might be shrinking but still there.

Gateway

I think though you have to remember with the likes of a Gateway, they owned little or no technology. All they were doing was plugging boards together to make 1990s PCs. Dell wasn’t much better but acquired more tech, mostly by buying other companies, notably in recent years EMC and VM Ware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I always had a soft spot for these lads with their perpetual motion machine and everlasting battery. Fair play that they last 16 years.

https://fora.ie/steorn-shaun-mccarthy-liquidated-3097083-Nov2016/

I think a lot of airlines will have a hard time surviving the Covid Crisis followed by probable carbon taxation squeezing their business model, especially the more budget non flag carriers.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Offices still use desktops. Plus people working from home are also buying desktops. There's still an industry for them. Might be shrinking but still there.
    I have four desktop PCs: 2008; 2016; 2020; and another being built.
    My laptop is in a cupboard in the kitchen, and has been for a few years.

Tesla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Apple will be here delivering cutting edge tech.

Facebook (the social media component) will hopefully be consigned to the dustbins of history. Pure toxic and they are a couple of scandals away from being shut down for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Flancrest Enterprises

Advertisement