Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ring alarm ireland

• 17-11-2019 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi.i was going to purchase a ring alarm today from the UK. I have the doorbell and a few cameras and wanted to tie it all in together. is there any reason I should not buy it from the UK. Will I loose any features etc.??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There's no reason that it won't work.

Check the support conditions

Also I here are services available to UK customers that are unavailable here.

Have a look at some of the threads about Amazon prime and how people handled it

• Registered Users Posts: 9 halpinio

Stoner wrote: »
    There's no reason that it won't work.

Check the support conditions

Also I here are services available to UK customers that are unavailable here.

Have a look at some of the threads about Amazon prime and how people handled it

I cant seem to find any information from others who have used it in ireland. I cant see why it would not work either the only concern I have is the cellular backup might not work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

halpinio wrote: »
    I cant seem to find any information from others who have used it in ireland. I cant see why it would not work either the only concern I have is the cellular backup might not work.

It supports a backup comms channel over mobile network, I'd assume that won't work here as it is likely tied to a UK mobile network.

Also I think the lack of an external bell box is a major downside of this system. Most alarm systems sold here, come with external SABBs. Homes that don't have one look like they don't have an alarm system and can thus be more likely to be broken into.

I'd at least purchase a fake external SABB. Not ideal, but better then nothing. Hopefully they will add a real one in time.

bk wrote: »
    It supports a backup comms channel over mobile network, I'd assume that won't work here as it is likely tied to a UK mobile network.

Also I think the lack of an external bell box is a major downside of this system. Most alarm systems sold here, come with external SABBs. Homes that don't have one look like they don't have an alarm system and can thus be more likely to be broken into.

I'd at least purchase a fake external SABB. Not ideal, but better then nothing. Hopefully they will add a real one in time.

I'd imagine when its released in ireland it will be the same unit and I will then be able to have the backup support? I actually have an alarm installed at the moment it is just old and unreliable so the bell box from that can stay were it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd imagine when its released in ireland it will be the same unit and I will then be able to have the backup support? I actually have an alarm installed at the moment it is just old and unreliable so the bell box from that can stay were it is.

Yes, I'd assume it would, sorting the sim is all that would be needed to launch it here. But then Amazon UK is a bit funny about Ireland, they don't seem to put much effort into services specifically for Ireland, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Yes, I'd assume it would, sorting the sim is all that would be needed to launch it here. But then Amazon UK is a bit funny about Ireland, they don't seem to put much effort into services specifically for Ireland, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Great. Thanks for the info. I've bought it anyway. I will give it a shot and see how it goes. Handy to have cameras and alarm all in the one place. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sesdan

Great. Thanks for the info. I've bought it anyway. I will give it a shot and see how it goes. Handy to have cameras and alarm all in the one place. Fingers crossed.

Would be very interested to hear how it went...

sesdan wrote: »
    Would be very interested to hear how it went...

Yeah all good. The alarm was simple to install and works very well. It does not have the monitoring or the cellular backup but I expected that with it not been released in ireland yet. Not a deal breaker because I can monitor it myself with my phone. Maybe when it is released I will get those features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

Yeah all good. The alarm was simple to install and works very well. It does not have the monitoring or the cellular backup but I expected that with it not been released in ireland yet. Not a deal breaker because I can monitor it myself with my phone. Maybe when it is released I will get those features.

how much did the whole system cost? Do the windows sensors have a shock sensor on them and can you have it on when you are in the house?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

https://gizmodo.com/ring-s-hidden-data-let-us-map-amazons-sprawling-home-su-1840312279 -- everything can be used to extreme (chineses camerars everywhere, face recognition, all linked up). don't know how the setup is in ireland/europ. i generally like the concept of managing your own security, getting alerts to your phone, even the neighborhood thing but sharing with the police. As long as it's controlled in a way that joe public can see what requests were made and how many, i'd be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sulux

Hello,
    Good to hear its (partially) working. I'm considering the same i.e. buying a UK version but for use on continental Europe. Of course, I will need to change the plug(s).
    By the looks of your experience, the only other feature not to work as it should do in the UK is the monitoring (making an automated call to three pre-defined contacts if I understand correctly). Is that correct?
    Is there a physical simcard slot there or does the unit have a built in function that connects to a UK network if available?
    Can you get to the page/settings where you insert the phone numbers of emergency contacts? Does it accept non UK phone numbers? (even if we know that the call feature doesn't currently work outside the UK)

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

riddles wrote: »
    how much did the whole system cost? Do the windows sensors have a shock sensor on them and can you have it on when you are in the house?

Thanks,

I bought the initial alarm system from Curry's approximately three months ago and we've since added loads more sensors, motion detector and a indoor camera. It's very customisable to your budget/needs and you can just add them whenever you want. We would have preferred more cams but our broadband is too slow so had to go for more traditional sensors/motion detector etc. At the moment there is no access to the ring protect plan for the alarm (although the camera one does seem to be available) so monitoring is all on you. Cellular backup is also not available (not ideal) and nor are the emergency automated calls. The neighbours app I don't think is active over this side of things either but I could be wrong. The window sensors do not have shocks but are otherwise excellent. There are three modes, home, away and off so yes you can have it on at night and choose what to activate. We love it. It's a great and affordable option if you want control over your alarm system. Also like being able to assign e.g. relatives their own pin for access so you know who is coming and going in the house. Ring themselves don't advise you to buy the alarm system from the UK currently in case it's not compatible but from emailing them a few months ago they do plan to roll out to Europe in the next while so tbh I didn't feel it was much of a gamble and all the alarm stuff's packaging has both UK and EU compatibility boxes ticked so that's clearly the longer term plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

Have you noticed that the 3g backup is now connecting to EIR? didn't notice that til recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shellie

tigger1962 wrote: »
    Have you noticed that the 3g backup is now connecting to EIR? didn't notice that til recently!

Yes I just noticed this today, it’s amazing! We love our Ring system but the biggest concern was not having the cell backup and WiFi going down. We signed up to the pro plan recently to avail of their 10% discount when buying more parts for the system and I got an alert today that the alarm was running on cell backup when a switch tripped on our house. What a delightful surprise!
    I was also able to set up the automated monitoring service too with Irish phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Does this effectively mean Ring have started a soft launch in Ireland so? Perhaps we'll see an announcement in the coming weeks that the full system is available here like in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shellie

Does this effectively mean Ring have started a soft launch in Ireland so? Perhaps we'll see an announcement in the coming weeks that the full system is available here like in the UK.

Yes I think so. I noticed in their docs that Assisted Monitoring is available in Ireland, UK and Iceland. It's available on their Protect Plus plan which is 10/month or 100/year.

Link - https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032437712-Ring-Alarm-Monitoring-Services-for-Your-Location

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dhruvrai

Cellular is available in Ireland. Response from Ring:

"I can certainly understand wanting to make an informed purchase decision. Yes, cellular backup is available for the Ring Alarm for Ireland. The main difference with the Ring Alarm there is that instead of Professional Monitoring there is Assisted Monitoring."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was looking for a new alarm and im liking the look of the ring.

One thing though, are there any differences between the US one and the UK/Irish one? (other than power adapters I assume?)

On the US site, the 14 piece alarm is $229 whereas the 10 piece one here is €449 or £389 on Amazon.

Also, is there an outside siren available for it? Im seeing internal ones alright.

EDIT. Im noticing now the motion sensors and keypads are different in the US and Irish ones. The one on the US site is labelled 2nd generation, I assume thats the newest one?

Advertisement