Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Finished mega man 1 on the NES. Think I actually prefer it to the 2nd..

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Playing a bit of Half Life on the Switch last night courtesy of Xash3d app. Plays very well, occasional slow down when loading stages but other than that its pretty sweet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing a bit of Half Life on the Switch last night courtesy of Xash3d app. Plays very well, occasional slow down when loading stages but other than that its pretty sweet.

Half Life 3, Switch exclusive!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

accensi0n wrote: »
    Finished mega man 1 on the NES. Think I actually prefer it to the 2nd..

Crazy talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've never played Half Life :( used to do a bit of PC gaming back in the PS2 generation. Current PC is sitting in the corner of my room and no longer used.

Once I move out and have space for my desk again, I'd like to finally play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've never played Half Life :(

Once every couple of generations, a game comes along that just raises the bar to an all new high. Half Life was that game circa 1998/99. The sheer wow factor will be long gone today for someone playing through it for the first time, and it might even come across as quite simplistic. But for those who played it back in "the day", the whole intro, the graphics, the npc's, the story, the immersion, the sound, the weapons, the enemy AI, everything about the game was a "wow" moment.

I haven't played it in a long time, I'm still waiting on Black Mesa to finish the damn Xen levels before I do. Though that said, the Switch port might tempt me enough to give it a run through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Half life is still fun (avoid the Black Mesa remake imo). Also recommend Dusk for anybody with a passing interest in retro fps its incredible.

(avoid the Black Mesa remake imo)

I haven’t played it yet, did you not enjoy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Playing through Parodius da! on the Super famicom. Brilliant port, tad of slowdown here and there like the arcade version but overall an excellent conversion, the frame rate is quite impressive given problems with other shooters. Would rank it around 5th or 6th maybe in best shmups on the super nes, behind games like super aleste, axelay, r type 3, macross, un squadron and aero fighters. Def belongs towards the upper end of top tier snes shooters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Inviere wrote: »
    I haven’t played it yet, did you not enjoy it?

I don't know why the poster said that. The black mesa remake is incredible, I was disappointed when I jumped into the beam before xen and the credits rolled. The remake is flawless and looks wonderful in the new engine, a far superior experience to half life source.

• Advertisement

2 Scoops wrote: »
    I don't know why the poster said that. The black mesa remake is incredible, I was disappointed when I jumped into the beam before xen and the credits rolled. The remake is flawless and looks wonderful in the new engine, a far superior experience to half life source.

That would be in line with what I’ve read about it, so I’m holding off until it’s finished before playing it. It’s taking forever though :(

Black Mesa looks good but a lot of the changes don't improve matters. Bigger levels, less cover, enemies more spread out it just messes up the pacing. Also don't like the feel of the weapons and the combine soldier AI.

Playing Spyro Reignited at the moment. Enjoying it so far, camera was a bit iffy until I changed it in the settings. Not a huge problem for me as you can just use the right stick to move it around but the GF was having issues with it.

So far so good, prefer it over Crash Bandicoot. I have to wait for herself to play it, but I'm allowed go back and 100% the levels we've done so far :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm distracted from all things retro by Forza Horizon 4.... I'm sorry everyone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Working my way through my Snes carts at the moment, just finishing off a run through of Super Metroid and then onto Earthbound next.

Also managed to get my AGS101 charged up and have been playing Castlevania Circle of the Moon quite a bit.

Actually it has me wanting to get into GBA collecting. Always been put off due to the high rate of pirate carts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So I was playing Truxton II arcade for the 10 pence arcade podcast game.
    It's a tough shoot em up, very long levels, but it's good fun.
    Incidentally, anybody else listen to the podcast ? I really enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm distracted from all things retro by Forza Horizon 4.... I'm sorry everyone :(

Fancy a bit of multiplayer in that later? I think PC and Xbox One are cross platform?
    I've wanted to race against you since forever haha.

Anyways my tag is:

corkproducers

Doge wrote: »
    Fancy a bit of multiplayer in that later? I think PC and Xbox One are cross platform?
    I've wanted to race against you since forever haha.

Anyways my tag is:

corkproducers

I'm sorry.
    Multiplayer isn't my bag at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm sorry.
    Multiplayer isn't my bag at all. :(

You're only afraid I'll destroy you! :P

I just meant the 2 of us in a private convoy btw, no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Picked up Zombies and Bomberman yesterday for the SNES, common titles I've never managed to get. Zombies still holds up today, that music!!

• Advertisement

Now that my emulation setup is set up the way I want it, I kinda had to, k'know, play some games. Started with Aladdin (Snes), gorgeous little platformer, love the graphics, music, controls, etc. Very easy though, flew through it without using a continue.

Next up was The Magical Quest (Snes again). Love this game for all the same reasons, nowhere near as easy though (although far from difficult given you've unlimited continues). Cleared it there this evening.

After that it's Super Aleste. Cleared the "short game", so tomorrow I'll be ready for the "normal game".

Great to be back playing games again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People that prefer Megadrive Aladdin are wrong.

And I find Magical Quest a bastard hard game as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Yeah but SEGA do what nintendon’t.

Personally I preferred the mega drive version but its literally the only game I prefer on the system compared to the SNES.

Picked up a SNES super scope boxed with the 6 games. It’s every bit as bad as I remember it...and worse. It’s utterly utterly awful. Got two SNES advantage joysticks too, can’t wait to have the lads over for some SF2 turbo at Christmas.

Megadrive Aladdin has that western design philosophy that retronauts coined 'airplane hanger' level design.

You take a level the size of an airplane hangar and you just fill it with **** instead of actual design.

Find a lot of Dave Perry games like that.

That's pretty on the money Retro.

That reminds me anybody seen the other David 'Games Animal' Perry's YouTube return? Can't wait for the full season. Digitizer wishes it was as edgy and disturbing.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I agree, much prefer the Snes version.

I may have used a save-state or two :o

Playing Soviet Strike. Couldn't figure out what to play but had an itching for the Saturn. Framerate is a bit choppy, we'll see how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Started Resident Evil 0 last night. Always remember seeing a mate playing it on his Gamecube when it came out and being absolutely blown away by the graphics - still looks amazing!

Unfortunately the same can't be said about the voice acting, although tbh I didn't expect anything less from a Capcom game of that era :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Inviere wrote: »
    I agree, much prefer the Snes version.

What's the difference? Used to love the MegaDrive version so might have to try it out on the SNES

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    What's the difference? Used to love the MegaDrive version so might have to try it out on the SNES

Completely different games really.

Advertisement