Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi scam?

• 05-11-2018 1:35am

Hey,

My friends & I got a taxi after a few drinks at the local.  We flagged a taxi, and they live in a small town (I am not from around there) so it's not too expensive there was 3 of us, and it was after 8 PM, so it was 10€ to my friends' house.  One of my friends got out along the way, but the driver did not need to divert or anything.  They told the driver to pull over closish to their home which he did, but he stopped the meter which displayed €10 or so but asked us for €15 we asked why he said its because our friend got out along the way.  Which I pulled him up on then he got thick about which between him and me started a roaring match.  I asked for a receipt which he ripped up.  My friends pull me out and say he does this all the time & just handed him the €15.

I am just wondering, I did not take a picture of his reg, but I can identify him next time I am out it's not too hard its such a small town.  But how can I even report him with him ripping up the receipt & stuff?

Thanks,

Daspendy

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

if he’s at it all the time yourself and your friend can report him to the taxi regulator. Get his license number. Sounds like a total arsehole taking advantage because it’s a small area and I assume not much competition.

My other theory would be he knew you were at the pub and thought he could pull a fast one on you. I’ve heard of takeaways and what not trying that before, switching to a uh.. “night time” menu with increased prices because with a few drinks in them people tend not to think twice about what they’re being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Many country cabs still work their old Hackney cab rates of a €5 a Skull or whatever the customary rate was, not legal if he's a taxi and up to the taxi regulator to act on any complaints about him.

• RaichuMGS wrote: »
    if he’s at it all the time yourself and your friend can report him to the taxi regulator. Get his license number. Sounds like a total arsehole taking advantage because it’s a small area and I assume not much competition.

My other theory would be he knew you were at the pub and thought he could pull a fast one on you. I’ve heard of takeaways and what not trying that before, switching to a uh.. “night time” menu with increased prices because with a few drinks in them people tend not to think twice about what they’re being charged.

We would report him but apparently, he has brought people to court over a certain "word" even though this "word" was never uttered. Which is stopping us from doing anything because we'd be afraid he would lie and say we called him by this certain "word". Even though we never did or never would use this "word" on any person or occasion.

We would report him but apparently, he has brought people to court over a certain "word" even though this "word" was never uttered. Which is stopping us from doing anything because we'd be afraid he would lie and say we called him by this certain "word". Even though we never did or never would use this "word" on any person or occasion.

I don’t think complaints to the taxi regulator actually disclose who reported him. It could’ve been anyone.

Do you mean he's a black driver and is reported to play the race card of being called a N1gger?, don't beat around the bush lay out the facts.

• Advertisement

• Spook_ie wrote: »
    Do you mean he's a black driver and is reported to play the race card of being called a N1gger?, don't beat around the bush lay out the facts.

Yeah, he has used that card in the past and brought people to court over it even though it was the same situation and the word was not uttered.

The only way round that is to involve the taxi regulator and AGS, the TR will be concerned pretty much only with the method of charging, the AGS "should" take an interest if he is consistently playing the race card, however, proving that may be harder, I would suggest that a member of the group records audio of any interactions and then complains to AGS.

As to the getting thick with him in the OP you'll likely not win a battle because of getting thick and presumably of having drink taken.

Soft and calm is the way

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    I don’t think complaints to the taxi regulator actually disclose who reported him. It could’ve been anyone.

The TR won't act on anonymous tip offs and if they are to prosecute will probably need you to testify in court.

EDIT

Though it has been known for the TR to act on tip offs and set up sting operations to obtain proof, but AFAIR it's usually unlicensed operators that they target this way.

• Spook_ie wrote: »
    The only way round that is to involve the taxi regulator and AGS, the TR will be concerned pretty much only with the method of charging, the AGS "should" take an interest if he is consistently playing the race card, however, proving that may be harder, I would suggest that a member of the group records audio of any interactions and then complains to AGS.

As to the getting thick with him in the OP you'll likely not win a battle because of getting thick and presumably of having drink taken.

Soft and calm is the way

Yeah, the getting thick part was my bad. I am generally a pretty chill person but not when I feel like I'm getting done by. Probably will avoid the man and walk home then getting another ride with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Just give him the tenner and let him call the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Yeah, he has used that card in the past and brought people to court over it even though it was the same situation and the word was not uttered.

Sounds like an urban myth. It's not an offence to call someone that, or anything else, in a private setting in this country. And even if it was it's his word vs the accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

No receipt.. don't pay. It must be printed not written. If a taxi driver ripped up my receipt I wouldn't be paying him.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Sounds like an urban myth. It's not an offence to call someone that, or anything else, in a private setting in this country. And even if it was it's his word vs the accused.

The inside of a taxi wouldn't be a private setting, as mentioned earlier the only recourse would be recording the conversation but that requires a level of clear headed thinking that many people who have taken drink are incapable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

A driver is also legally obliged to give you a printed receipt.

Just submit a complaint to the NTA using their online form saying that you were not provided with a printed receipt and that this is in direct contraversion of [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Section 56 of SI 33 of 2015.

This happened to me once. I complained and the driver was given a fine by the NTA.[/font]

When did he stop the meter at €10? At the end destination or when your friend got out?

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    When did he stop the meter at €10? At the end destination or when your friend got out?

That’s neither here nor there, you pay what the meter says.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

wizardman wrote: »
    No receipt.. don't pay. It must be printed not written. If a taxi driver ripped up my receipt I wouldn't be paying him.

Not true

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Not true

Oh it's very true.

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Not true

Tend to agree with this, not providing a receipt is covered in the taxi regulator's remit, not paying would be covered by the criminal theft act, making off without payment.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/section/8/enacted/en/html

If you pay for something you are entitled to a receipt. A taxi is no different. The driver MUST provide you with a printed receipt.

I never said make off or run away. But you can refuse to pay unless you get a receipt. I will pay you for your service when you provide a receipt.

Its a civil matter which the Gardai will be reluctant and can't really get involved in.

Think of someone who needs a receipt for expenses etc. Their employer won't reimburse the employee unless they have a receipt.

• Advertisement

If you pay for something you are entitled to a receipt. A taxi is no different. The driver MUST provide you with a printed receipt.

I never said make off or run away. But you can refuse to pay unless you get a receipt. I will pay you for your service when you provide a receipt.

Its a civil matter which the Gardai will be reluctant and can't really get involved in.

Think of someone who needs a receipt for expenses etc. Their employer won't reimburse the employee unless they have a receipt.

Correct and if he can't the taxi regulator can fine him, however, the law is quite specific on making off without payment, which is exactly what you are proposing you should do. Suppose you just happen to be the first passenger the driver takes AFTER his printer breaks he isn't going to know until he comes to print the receipt if you were to not pay because of that I'd fancy my chances at getting you a criminal record under the Theft Act

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Its a civil matter which the Gardai will be reluctant and can't really get involved in. .

Not getting a receipt upon request is an offence, which is initially a fixed penalty offence under taxi bye laws.

However, not getting a taxi receipt does not absolve you from paying a taxi fare. Non payment of a taxi fare is a criminal offence, see here. It is most certainly not a civil matter; a quick web search will bring up cases of prosecutions for same in the District Courts

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Correct and if he can't the taxi regulator can fine him, however, the law is quite specific on making off without payment, which is exactly what you are proposing you should do. Suppose you just happen to be the first passenger the driver takes AFTER his printer breaks he isn't going to know until he comes to print the receipt if you were to not pay because of that I'd fancy my chances at getting you a criminal record under the Theft Act

A written receipt. Driver number and signature. Simple enough process.

That’s neither here nor there, you pay what the meter says.

It does. If the meter said €10 when you dropped the mate off and you carried on a bit further then what's the beef of paying the extra?

Hey,

<snipped>  They told the driver to pull over closish to their home which he did, but he stopped the meter which displayed €10 or so but asked us for €15 we asked why he said its because our friend got out along the way.  <snipped>
    It does. If the meter said €10 when you dropped the mate off and you carried on a bit further then what's the beef of paying the extra?

It would appear from the OP that the meter read €10 or so

A written receipt. Driver number and signature. Simple enough process.

Correct, however the Wizardman is suggesting that you need not pay, as Losty pointed out not issuing a printed receipt is an offence, declining to produce a written receipt is also likely to compound the offence but neither of those would be a criminal offence which refusing to pay would be.

The only recourse open I suspect, is to remain calm and avoid a slanging match and request that the Garda attend or that you be taken to a Garda station, you will be obliged to pay the fare but you will have a Garda witness that they wouldn't/couldn't provide a receipt

It would appear from the OP that the meter read €10 or so

I know, not clear if it was €10 to the friends house and then they went further. Meter stayed at €10 for the rest of the journey?

I know, not clear if it was €10 to the friends house and then they went further. Meter stayed at €10 for the rest of the journey?

AFAIK if you press stop on the meter it suspends the time element and defaults to distance mode only i.e if you stop it at €10 then drive 5km it will tot up the 5km as distance and read somewhere like €17, but if you stopped it on €10 and sat there for 20 minutes it wouldn't increase, well on mine that's how it works anyway.

Correct, however the Wizardman is suggesting that you need not pay, as Losty pointed out not issuing a printed receipt is an offence, declining to produce a written receipt is also likely to compound the offence but neither of those would be a criminal offence which refusing to pay would be.

The only recourse open I suspect, is to remain calm and avoid a slanging match and request that the Garda attend or that you be taken to a Garda station, you will be obliged to pay the fare but you will have a Garda witness that they wouldn't/couldn't provide a receipt

Hang on, I never said don't pay. So don't misquote me. I clearly said don't make off or run away. A printed receipt must be provided.

• Advertisement

Hang on, I never said don't pay. So don't misquote me. I clearly said don't make off or run away. A printed receipt must be provided.

Didn't you say you wouldn't pay unless he provided a printed receipt, as has been pointed out printing the receipt is a civil offence, the refusing to pay is a criminal offence.

Advertisement