Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM 2:1 requirement

• 25-08-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭

I didn’t get a 2:1 in my undergraduate degree but got accepted into a masters and got a 2:1 in that.
    How would this look in terms of GEMS application?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Unless they make a change, you're not eligible for GEM in Ireland. I think some of the UK universities may make allowances for those who have masters if you're happy to move abroad. Ulster University are starting a GEM course next year, it might be worth sending them an email to ask if you would be eligible for their course based on a 2.1 masters.

For Ireland, your best bet may be the mature medicine route. You'll need to sit the HPAT (mature applicants don't need to do well) and apply via CAO. Having two degrees already will give you an edge over others. Work on your personal statement, and if you can, get some experience shadowing a GP or something along those lines. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do you know anything about the financial side of mature entry over GEM? It looks to take a year longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

RCSI is 16k a year, so it works out more expensive than GEM. Trinity charges about 8.5k a year, so it would cost less than GEM - but it takes a year longer. Not sure what the fees are for UCD, NUIG or UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭sue97

I would talk to the OU, you may be able to take some of your modules and combine these with some other courses to do an Open Degree and get 2.1. I did this with a degree I took in the past. PM if you want more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

sue97 wrote: »
    I would talk to the OU, you may be able to take some of your modules and combine these with some other courses to do an Open Degree and get 2.1. I did this with a degree I took in the past. PM if you want more details.

Isn't it the first degree that counts only?
    Subsequent degrees can't be used for the 2.1 requirement, I think.

Some of the rules are unfair.
    Some students are signing up for 3 year undergrad degrees to get into GEM a year early. Law, Arts?
    Also, any class of degree in say Chemical Engineering or Mathematics, from Cambridge University is worth more than a 1H degree in say, Tourism, from one of the ITs.

• Advertisement

Looks like it is your first degree.
    I’m not sure it is financially possible for me to go abroad and do it. Unless the fees are significantly lower

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

Gael23 wrote: »
    Looks like it is your first degree.
    I’m not sure it is financially possible for me to go abroad and do it. Unless the fees are significantly lower

Check out Italy. You'll need to do exceptionally well on the IMAT in order to be given a place.

Recap wrote: »
    Check out Italy. You'll need to do exceptionally well on the IMAT in order to be given a place.
    That is financially much more reachable. Looks about €4K a year for fees.
    Are there isrish students in those schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

Gael23 wrote: »
    That is financially much more reachable. Looks about €4K a year for fees.
    Are there isrish students in those schools?

Yes, I have read of a few but you'll find more English students there.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BeansandToast

RCSI is 16k a year, so it works out more expensive than GEM. Trinity charges about 8.5k a year, so it would cost less than GEM - but it takes a year longer. Not sure what the fees are for UCD, NUIG or UCC.

Trinity mature student here in 4th year. Fees are lower, about half of grad med fees. Pretty much all of us work part time, which allows us to offset the fees and stikk keep some beer money. I'm in a decent position as I have a well paid job that I can do from home at any time.

I have friends in gradmed who are bleeding their pockets dry atm, or in huge debt.

Trinity clinical years start earlier than other colleges, which is great for expereince, but this is offset by the disgracefully incompetent admin staff in Trinity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭laura1990

I was in the same boat as you ( 2;2 , but with a masters ).

I know Swansea in Wales accept 2:2 with a masters ( I went over to one of their open days ). Fantastic college, lovely people. From memory : You self fund the first 4k of tuition fees in 1st year ( this will be covered by NHS in years 2 – 4 ) and can receive a tuition loan for the remaining 5k fees per year ( total cost per year is 9k ). The loan repayments are only 9% of your income, so they are tiny. The remaining debt after 30 years is written off ( loan is from the university, not a bank ).

I've since gone on to do Graduate Physio instead, I didn't meet the cutoff in GAMSAT for Swansea ( 60+ ).

I used to get annoyed about my 2;2 but now personally I don't think GEMs is financially viable. I'll owe half the amount of GEMS fees by the end of my physio course and its a pain - I can't imagine doubling that or more even.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Donaldhastrul

laura1990 wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as you ( 2;2 , but with a masters ).

I know Swansea in Wales accept 2:2 with a masters ( I went over to one of their open days ). Fantastic college, lovely people. From memory : You self fund the first 4k of tuition fees in 1st year ( this will be covered by NHS in years 2 – 4 ) and can receive a tuition loan for the remaining 5k fees per year ( total cost per year is 9k ). The loan repayments are only 9% of your income, so they are tiny. The remaining debt after 30 years is written off ( loan is from the university, not a bank ).

I've since gone on to do Graduate Physio instead, I didn't meet the cutoff in GAMSAT for Swansea ( 60+ ).

I used to get annoyed about my 2;2 but now personally I don't think GEMs is financially viable. I'll owe half the amount of GEMS fees by the end of my physio course and its a pain - I can't imagine doubling that or more even.

If you're from Dublin itll probably still cost you less to stay here taking consideration accommodation fees and food and nights out.

How long is grad physio? 2 years, right? I know a few people who did it but only because they didnt get med. Is it a good course? I find you still wouldn't be able to work in sports medicine or anything clinical medical based, so I never put it down, it was considered a Plan C for most and I've yet to meet anyone who chose it first over medicine or dentistry

It’s not financially possible for me anyway. I have enough saved for the fees but would still need a loan for living expenses. I’m 28 soon abd I feel it’s too late to take on that much debt

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭laura1990

If you're from Dublin itll probably still cost you less to stay here taking consideration accommodation fees and food and nights out.

How long is grad physio? 2 years, right? I know a few people who did it but only because they didnt get med. Is it a good course? I find you still wouldn't be able to work in sports medicine or anything clinical medical based, so I never put it down, it was considered a Plan C for most and I've yet to meet anyone who chose it first over medicine or dentistry

Hey there. Yes - 2 year course ( can be 3 depending on uni), and an excellent course.

I feel you've misunderstood my post, I was only highlighting what I'm doing, not suggesting an alternative profession. I have an interest in both physio and med, they are equally appealing to me for different reasons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

laura1990 wrote: »
    I was only highlighting what I'm doing, not suggesting an alternative profession. I have an interest in both physio and med, they are equally appealing to me for different reasons :)

This is really important and I think more people really need to understand this.

None of these careers are viable "back ups" for each other.
    If you want to be a dentist, being a doctor will not make you happy.

Being a physiotherapist is a demanding job, with a tough qualification to get, and ongoing struggles in terms of caring for people.
    It is wonderful if you like it and have an interest in it.

And while many people, like the quoted poster, can have interests in multiple things and will be very happy in their alternative chosen field; it's not an automatic exchange - effort must go in to choosing this new career to make sure that it's worthwhile.

Advertisement