Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 58" Smart Ultra HD LED TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

4real wrote: »
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/samsung-ue58mu6120-58-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/346013/397.0.0?OpenMenu=true

this one is now 699 with HDR, i think this is a better deal than both the OP and LG

Went for LG . Found the user interface of TV the most user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dixon

One thing to note is the LG is HDR10 (supports 10bit HDR). Can't seem to find the Samsungs rating but it is less than 10bit, probably 8bit

TV manufacturers must the the worst for trying to confuse things with technical definitions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So when it comes to LG vs Samsung ? what are people thinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Dixon wrote: »
    One thing to note is the LG is HDR10 (supports 10bit HDR). Can't seem to find the Samsungs rating but it is less than 10bit, probably 8bit

TV manufacturers must the the worst for trying to confuse things with technical definitions

Non HDR is 8 bit per component (thus 16.7 mln colours). HDR seems to be about 10 bits per component - 30bin/pixel - 1 bln of different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Anyone find any reviews on the 58 inch samsung and perhaps comparisons with the LG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

I've just picked up the 58" Samsung. Will set it up later however I will probably have an excellent review as the TV it's replacing is a 10 year old Philips 47" 720P display....never a problem with it and no signs of issues....she'll retire to the bedroom :)

highdef wrote: »
    I've just picked up the 58" Samsung. Will set it up later however I will probably have an excellent review as the TV it's replacing is a 10 year old Philips 47" 720P display....never a problem with it and no signs of issues....she'll retire to the bedroom :)

If your in the mood feel free to post a video ;)

cronos wrote: »
    If your in the mood feel free to post a video ;)

Of the TV or the bedroom? :P

Of the TV or the bedroom? :P

Walked into that one.

I picked up the 58" Samsung last night and was happy enough with the deal, I wasn't blown away with the picture after coming from a 46" FHD Samsung.

After playing around with it tonight, I'm much more impressed. What I didn't realise was that HDR wasn't enabling when playing Netflix through my Nvidia Shield. Once I played through the native Netflix app, I could see the difference.....will figure out getting it to work with my shield another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Basil3 wrote: »
    I picked up the 58" Samsung last night and was happy enough with the deal, I wasn't blown away with the picture after coming from a 46" FHD Samsung.

After playing around with it tonight, I'm much more impressed. What I didn't realise was that HDR wasn't enabling when playing Netflix through my Nvidia Shield. Once I played through the native Netflix app, I could see the difference.....will figure out getting it to work with my shield another day.

Hey just wondering if your using yours with Sky . I got mine yesterday and it works fine with Netflix and plex but when watching sky it flick to a black screen and back every 15mins or so. Just wondering if you had any issues like that.

Cheers
    Rob

Hey just wondering if your using yours with Sky . I got mine yesterday and it works fine with Netflix and plex but when watching sky it flick to a black screen and back every 15mins or so. Just wondering if you had any issues like that.

Cheers
    Rob

No issues with Sky at all. I just have the standard Sky+ HD box connected via HDMI.

I've the exact same setup and Sky box except I route it via an AV amp

I'll try changing the HDMI cable maybe that has something to do with it seen as plex and Netflix work without a bother. I have set the sky box to 1080p and turned HDR off on the tv still the same I'll give the cable a go later see if th at makes a difference.

Thanks lads.

Any reviews?

I'm very happy with mine. The HDR+ feature on regular non HDR stuff makes the picture look quite nasty so have left it off for non HDR sources.

I also turned off the digital "enhancements" that are on by default. That has improved the video a lot. Before, fast movement would look very poor. I always turn off most "enhancements" anyway as they just introduce extra processing that interferes with the original video.

I've only tested 1080i footage so far and have been impressed after performing the above changes. Will sort out 4K footage soon.

cronos wrote: »
    Any reviews?

Only had it a day and I'm having the issue with watching sky but I find the HD picture great even though I havnt really sat down to calibrate the settings. Standard definition is ok nothing to write home about but again I havnt adjusted any settings yet. I find it excellent for using Netflix and Plex built in which let's me get rid of the roku3 box I had. Also streaming from a pc is flawless to. The OS is very quick apps open and close fast. I'm very pleased so far once I get sky sorted.

Also streaming from a pc is flawless to. .
    Are you streaming over the wifi/LAN? I have a NAS drive in the utility. It and the TV are both on a wired LAN. Can I access the NAS from the TV? Haven't looked very hard yet though, I must admit. Can get rid of Android box if I can access the NAS and can then connect the Android box to the old TV, which I plan to move to the bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What NAS device do you have? Are you able to install Plex onto it? If so, you can have Plex on the TV as the client.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What NAS device do you have? Are you able to install Plex onto it? If so, you can have Plex on the TV as the client.

It's a D-Link DNS-323 - a few years old but does the job. Haven't heard about Plex or whether I can install it. I'll do some research, thank you

• Advertisement

It's a D-Link DNS-323 - a few years old but does the job. Haven't heard about Plex or whether I can install it. I'll do some research, thank you

I use plex on the pc but I have tested Serviio and that works to but again it's on a mini pc with windows 7 so not sure about a NAS

I'm very happy with mine. The HDR+ feature on regular non HDR stuff makes the picture look quite nasty so have left it off for non HDR sources.

I also turned off the digital "enhancements" that are on by default. That has improved the video a lot. Before, fast movement would look very poor. I always turn off most "enhancements" anyway as they just introduce extra processing that interferes with the original video.

I've only tested 1080i footage so far and have been impressed after performing the above changes. Will sort out 4K footage soon.

I'd agree with this as well as soon as I get time I'll mess around with settings as well and turn off most of the processing options they seem to cause more hassle then they fix on most tv's I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

https://m.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=1201022

How does this compare to the other models posted , the LG and Samsung 58" are both out of stock in the stores anywhere near me

• Registered Users Posts: 46 davec9313

Rushden wrote: »
    https://m.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=1201022

How does this compare to the other models posted , the LG and Samsung 58" are both out of stock in the stores anywhere near me

Pick up the 58 couple hours back in power city - had quite a few !!!

It’s the dogs !!!

Swapped my HDMI lead and the sky issue seems to be gone fingers crossed. If anyone has some good picture settings for this could you share them.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Would anyone be able to recommend a TV around 50" for around the 600 mark? The TVs listed here seem to be out of stock in Galway.
    Would the Sony's that are in DID or Curry's be any better than LG or Samsung?
    There are so many model numbers that it is pretty confusing.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mrdata. wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to recommend a TV around 50" for around the 600 mark? The TVs listed here seem to be out of stock in Galway.

I had a 50" Samsung UE50MU6100 and could recommend it. Should be available for just under €600.

[edit] http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6871642/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7C19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419667%7CLED+TVs%7C16180235.htm?_$ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A8296416

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

Don't know if you can get VLC Player app on a Samsung TV but I have it on my Sony TV and can play videos from the local network.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Mrdata. wrote: »
    Or consider this 1? Think there's 15% off for first order bringing it well within your budget. Check out ambilight vids on YouTube!

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-50pus6262-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-certifiednbsphdr-smart-tv-freeview-hd-freeview-play-and-ambilight/1600204294.prd?_requestid=90872&Ntt=philips%204k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Ambilight does look class. Is it worth it? Are there any other brands that use it at around that price point? Keeping an eye on the shops and richer sounds but don't see it really listed for anything around that price?

Advertisement