Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 giannidtz

Thanks raytaxi. 
    For everybody else this is something to keep in mind if you plan on buying:
    "To keep information secure, only U.S. credit cards can be used to purchase the kit. Ask friends and family to help you, or purchase a U.S. MasterCard® or Visa® gift card."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Be careful with this offer. I tried to get it last week and was told in the T mobile shop it's online only. You'll need to buy it in advance so friends or family over there will have to order it for you. I ended up paying $69 in store for the best available plan for my stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Could you use one of the An Post madtercards to buy it I wonder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

sugarman wrote:
    Just get a free 3 UK sim, they've 3 like home so you are billed as normal.

Even in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

sugarman wrote: »
    Just get a free 3 UK sim, they've 3 like home in the U.S so you are billed as normal.

If you have a data allowance it works as normal over there, along with calls/texts.

Costs £10 for 1GB plan, £20 for 12GB or else All you can eat for £25.

I keep one handy for countries my 3 Ireland sim hasnt got 3 like home in.

https://apps.three.ie/roaming/pages/three-like-home

The link from the Three.ie doesn't mention that the US is included in the 3 Like Home offering.

"Accessing internet on your mobile abroad.

Standard mobile internet is available for a cost of €5.08 per MB on the following networks: AT&T"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

Yes. Theyve 42 destinations compared to our 6:rolleyes:

See here.

Thats because I said 3 UK;)

Ahhhh my apologies. Very good to know!! Thank you for highlighting this. Will save me a few quid in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sorchaniri

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Be careful with this offer. I tried to get it last week and was told in the T mobile shop it's online only. You'll need to buy it in advance so friends or family over there will have to order it for you. I ended up paying $69 in store for the best available plan for my stay.

I think they may have given you the wrong info - it states on the link in the first post that you can pick it up in any T-Mobile store and I did just that in October last year. Walked into a small, local store in Queens (NY) and walked out 10 minutes later with the SIM in my phone, all set up. Worked great in NY, network was a bit patchy down in Miami though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

ah if i'd known this three weeks ago! bloody awkward relying on wifi in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just get a free 3 UK sim, they've 3 like home in the U.S so you are billed as normal.

If you have a data allowance it works as normal over there, along with calls/texts.

Costs £10 for 1GB plan, £20 for 12GB or else All you can eat for £25.

I keep one handy for countries my 3 Ireland sim hasnt got 3 like home in.

This is definitely the way to go. Used it just over a year ago in NYC with all you can eat data for £15 top up. Price has gone up since but still the best way to go imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Has anyone had any experience using the TMobile network in the States on a oneplus 3t? I checked the phone bands to see if it would work ok and saw it doesn't work on all the 3g frequencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

sorchaniri wrote: »
    I think they may have given you the wrong info - it states on the link in the first post that you can pick it up in any T-Mobile store and I did just that in October last year. Walked into a small, local store in Queens (NY) and walked out 10 minutes later with the SIM in my phone, all set up. Worked great in NY, network was a bit patchy down in Miami though.
    I did get the feeling the girl hadn't a clue what I was on about. Probably should have printed out a screen grab of the offer. I was just after getting off the flight in Chicago and was wrecked tired so maybe I wasn't making sense. Good to know though for next time. T mobile network was great though, got 4g nearly everywhere which I was surprised at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Last time I picked up one of these in my local Walmart. Very straightforward.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Complete-SIM-Kit/39081494

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

tallpaul wrote: »
    Last time I picked up one of these in my local Walmart. Very straightforward.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Complete-SIM-Kit/39081494

That's exactly what I use every year, reasonable 3g coverage and gives me a US cell number which I immediately use to enrol in all shop/restaurant/mall programs and get texted money off vouchers and offers throughout the trip, it effectively pays for itself. Most of the programs are in the form of texts to a cell number so foreign numbers (with international 0044 at the start) won't work. This option also lets you throw a hot spot so I have it on whilst driving/walking around in a group etc. so all the family can use my data.
    Won't let you phone/text an Irish mobile roaming in the states is about the only disadvantage.
    Bin the SIM in the airport before my flight home and therefore no spam.
    Usual cost is $30.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zeldo

http://www.dbssimtrade.com/product-page/05efafc8-9b94-9645-0fe5-cd1cba23fbf4

I bought one of those before I went to the states the last time. Good service. They post the sim to you. That way you have it when you land in the airport. I used it to check traffic from airport to hotel. There's a note there saying that sim won't work in airports or hotels. That's new. I was in New York last year as had no trouble in JFK or hotels with that SIM. 4g 1gb and all international and local calls for a month for 30 USD.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm going to buy the T-Mobile's Tourist card when I get there. $30 and I really only want Data anyway. Use it for Google maps so I don't have to use my sat nav and buy the us map for €36

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Vodafone are Charging 2.99 a day for unlimited calls texts and the same allowance as you have here in the US & Canada

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone got and ideas for a SIM that will work in Mexico ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

sharkman wrote: »
    Anyone got and ideas for a SIM that will work in Mexico ?

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭dodzy

Daughter going to work in Disney Florida for 14weeks in the summer. Any suggestions for PAYG options? She's on bill pay with three but they're a non runner.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

bk wrote: »

I shall rephrase that . Has anyone got any recommendations for a prepaid SIM for mexico , From experience ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

sharkman wrote: »
    I shall rephrase that . Has anyone got any recommendations for a prepaid SIM for mexico , From experience ?

Sigh, no. That site has fantastic info and recommendations. I've used the SIM's recommended by that site all over the world. Most recently in Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Great find Sugarman! Going to Florida next month and really need this even though I'm not a 3 network user.

One question though. Have you used this to call Irish numbers from the US and to receive calls from Irish numbers?

I assumed it would be an extra charge to receive/make calls to Irish numbers on that pay-as-you-go UK SIM?

Perhaps I'm getting it wrong.. :confused:

Great find Sugarman! Going to Florida next month and really need this even though I'm not a 3 network user.

One question though. Have you used this to call Irish numbers from the US and to receive calls from Irish numbers?

I assumed it would be an extra charge to receive/make calls to Irish numbers on that pay-as-you-go UK SIM?

Perhaps I'm getting it wrong.. :confused:

Just use Whatsapp voice calls instead, they will come out of the data allowance instead.

BTW Just back from the US, used the Three UK data SIM and it worked perfectly over there. Brilliant service.

I change the SIM over while on the plane and it works right off as I step off the plane. Much better then wasting time trying to find a mobile store to buy a local SIM and a lot cheaper too. This is the third trip I've used it in the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,990 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

dodzy wrote: »
    Daughter going to work in Disney Florida for 14weeks in the summer. Any suggestions for PAYG options? She's on bill pay with three but they're a non runner.

She will need an unlocked phone to avail of a good PAYG deal over there, the likes of Walmart do various plans with US providers...

https://www.walmart.com/browse/no-contract-phones-plans/prepaid-plans/1105910_1072335_1081104

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm going to the states in a week. How could I get and activate a three UK sim between now and then without actually travelling to the UK? Parcel Motel? Can I then top it up online using a revolut card?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Just use Whatsapp voice calls instead, they will come out of the data allowance instead.

BTW Just back from the US, used the Three UK data SIM and it worked perfectly over there. Brilliant service.

I change the SIM over while on the plane and it works right off as I step off the plane. Much better then wasting time trying to find a mobile store to buy a local SIM and a lot cheaper too. This is the third trip I've used it in the last 6 months.
    Do you just top up with the £20 option and that gives you 12GB in the US?

Keano wrote: »
    Do you just top up with the £20 option and that gives you 12GB in the US?

I bought it directly off mymemory.co.uk and it included 12GB for 12 months with no need to topup.

I could top it up online using a Revolut card (it is a UK debit card), but no need so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

IF you don't need data AND you just want to be able to call and receive calls from Ireland, just port your number over to Lycamobile. Their €15 Ireland Plus plan lets you use your calls and texts (both unlimited to Irish landlines and mobiles) when roaming, for free.

They're also doing a deal for new customers at the moment where you get 50% the Ireland Plus plan (for one month I imagine?). So that's €7.50 for as many calls and texts to and from Ireland as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I bought it directly off mymemory.co.uk and it included 12GB for 12 months with no need to topup.

I could top it up online using a Revolut card (it is a UK debit card), but no need so far.

Hey BK, was that this one?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-SIM-Pack-Incl.-300-Mins%2C-3000-Texts-and-12GB-of-Data

Did you just whack it in the phone, and it worked straight away? It says it lasts a month, does that start from when you first activate it?

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hey BK, was that this one?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-SIM-Pack-Incl.-300-Mins%2C-3000-Texts-and-12GB-of-Data

Did you just whack it in the phone, and it worked straight away? It says it lasts a month, does that start from when you first activate it?

No this is the one:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-12GB-Data

The one you linked to will only last 30 days from first use, while this one will last 12 months (or until 12GB runs out). No calls or texts from this one, data only, but I'm fine with that when travelling, just use whatsapp.

Yup just whacked it into my phone and it worked straight off. However note I've an unlocked phone, you will need to unlock your phone first if it is currently locked.

BTW to add to what messinkiapina says above, my Irish number is on that Lyca deal. So what I do when I get to the US, is stick the Three UK sim in my iphone and put my Irish sim in an old dumb phone so that I can still get and make calls and texts from it too.

Alternatively a dual sim phone would get rid of this need.

Advertisement