Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getflix.com smart DNS lifetime subscription $29

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Netflix have been clamping down on these services. Something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Good point but only use it for iplayer. They're around since at least 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And once you have to register for your BBC account to ensure that only license holders can view content (coming soon) that won't work either.

With all of these "lifetime" accounts, I'm always skeptical because usually the lifetime of the company behind that offer is shorter than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

And once you have to register for your BBC account to ensure that only license holders can view content (coming soon) that won't work either.

With all of these "lifetime" accounts, I'm always skeptical because usually the lifetime of the company behind that offer is shorter than mine.

Are you speaking from beyond?

degsie wrote: »
    Are you speaking from beyond?

Doesn't my username state that clearly?

But in seriousness, there have been several deals recently with life time and the vendor (even if they have been active for a while) than shortly afterwards folded or forced migration onto a different provider for more money.

So it's always good to ensure that one has realistic expectations with these deals, especially if the product might be outdated soon once the companies that are targeted with these services stop it like Netflix or Hulu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I've bought a lifetime sub from this crowd for $35 about a year ago, so I suppose I've gotten my money's worth whatever happens from here on.

You get a smart DNS and a VPN service too. I use the smart DNS on my android TV box to geo-unblock BBC iplayer and PBS (I don't use netflix), then I also use the VPN for anonymous browsing. If the geo-unblocking stops working I'll still make use of the VPN anyway.

What's that about the BBC requiring you to register in the future? Is that definitely going to happen?

EDIT: I'm almost sure this is the same company as Smart DNS proxy. https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/

What's that about the BBC requiring you to register in the future? Is that definitely going to happen?

Looks like early 2017:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37477229
    I've bought a lifetime sub from this crowd for $35 about a year ago, so I suppose I've gotten my money's worth whatever happens from here on.

Excellent, I'm happy for you.
    EDIT: I'm almost sure this is the same company as Smart DNS proxy. https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/
    Yes they are the same Turkish company, it's just different front ends with different prices and different mailing countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Looks like early 2017:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37477229

Excellent, I'm happy for you.

Yes they are the same Turkish company, it's just different front ends with different prices and different mailing countries.

Do you not even read links you post?
    but the BBC says it has no current plans to use it for enforcement purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Been considering opening up a US DNS service I created for myself and my friends to more people to help with the cost as it's expensive to run these days. The price would be €9 quarterly. It supports all the major US sites (including that popular one with the red logo that is hard to access) and I am looking into adding support for UK sites. Not looking to make money out of this, but if I was to add 10-15 more people the cost would come down to around €3 per month for everyone.

If I may use this thread to run a quick survey, could you 'thank' this post if it is something you would be interested in at that price point should I start accepting others into the service next year?

(Not advertising a business here, just asking a question. There is no business and I'm not selling anything.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Oat23 wrote: »
    Been considering opening up a US DNS service I created for myself and my friends to more people to help with the cost as it's expensive to run these days. The price would be €9 quarterly. It supports all the major US sites (including that popular one with the red logo that is hard to access) and I am looking into adding support for UK sites. Not looking to make money out of this, but if I was to add 10-15 more people the cost would come down to around €3 per month for everyone.

If I may use this thread to run a quick survey, could you 'thank' this post if it is something you would be interested in at that price point should I start accepting others into the service next year?

(Not advertising a business here, just asking a question. There is no business and I'm not selling anything.)

You say it could come down from €9 per quarter to €3 per month. Typo?

• Advertisement

Do you not even read links you post?

I did read it, the quote you provided is for the check against the license payer database.

You still will need to set up an account with a postcode, sure you can fake it but in the long run they might clamp down like Netflix does with accounts coming from a specific IP address getting further queried.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    You say it could come down from €9 per quarter to €3 per month. Typo?

Right now we are paying a lot more than €3 per month each. If I add around 15 people, the price would then be around €3 per person.

I mentioned €9 quarterly because I would not accept monthly payment if I added 15 more people. It's just a hobby and would take up too much time contacting people each month to see if they wanted to continue. Every 3 months would work better.

Seems like there is a good few people interested in joining. If I go ahead with it in a few weeks, I will select 5 people at random from the people who have thanked the above post and add them in first to make sure everything goes well, then add another 5 every few weeks.

Like a lot of things in life - the higher the risk the greater the potential reward. In this case the risk isn't too high - $29 with the risk that the company goes bust/iplayer access is restricted versus the reward a very cheap smart dns/VPN service. If I even get 6 months will have paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fishscale

netflix changed theyr tactic to blocking this,they use geo blocking and last time i used this i got the monthly sub to get us netflix but it stopped working so i stopped paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Looks like early 2017:

BBC iPlayer will require sign in but as says in article you quote no plans to require licence details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Dorian Green Cobble

Wasn't it only recently that someone put up one of these "lifetime" subs only to come back a few weeks later to say they had shut up shop!

Save your money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Wasn't it only recently that someone put up one of these "lifetime" subs only to come back a few weeks later to say they had shut up shop!

Save your money

I bought this Getflix Lifetime sub about 3 years ago. It is still going strong.

Great Value. Good Online support too.

givecredit wrote: »
    I bought this Getflix Lifetime sub about 3 years ago. It is still going strong.

Great Value. Good Online support too.

Still time left on the offer. Does BBC work fine for you with it? With various VPNs I've tried I get the "BBC Only Works in the UK" error (blocked IPs).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Still time left on the offer. Does BBC work fine for you with it? With various VPNs I've tried I get the "BBC Only Works in the UK" error (blocked IPs).

BBC iPlayer, itv hub, 5 on demand, Hulu and Amazon prime (uk and usa) all work as have used all with this service in past

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

I've been using this service for over a year now, works very well.

• Advertisement

One quick Q before I buy it, to change DNS/VPN location, do you have to change the IP address manually, or do they have an interface on their site to change it once logged in? Can't seem to find an answer on their site.

AFAIK you have to do it manually

Good BBC iplayer tip - the missing series 2 is excellent but first episode has now expired so would have to be sourced elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

digitaldr wrote: »

That's a nuisance then..... and I see in some of the reviews that it keeps activity logs etc. Both going against the grain of having a VPN.!!

I remember last Xmas Day / Xmas Eve - there was a glut of offers on various VPNs. I ended up with Freedome VNP for €26 odd - but see its back up to €50 now on renewal so will sit it out and see what comes my way over Xmas

digitaldr wrote: »
    Masala wrote: »
    That's a nuisance then..... and I see in some of the reviews that it keeps activity logs etc. Both going against the grain of having a VPN.!!

Indeed, although I think that may be wrong, though.

Two things:

From here
    The Getflix app allows you to keep your IP up-to-date as well as quickly switch regions
    and
    here (FB post)
    The long awaited Getflix Region Switching feature has been released.
    makes me think that you can easily change regions, like with unblock.us.

Would love to hear from somebody who uses it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Indeed, although I think that may be wrong, though.

Two things:

From here

and
    here (FB post)

makes me think that you can easily change regions, like with unblock.us.

Would love to hear from somebody who uses it though.

Yes you can easily change regions both on their webpage and via the app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Got it a year ago myself and noticed as soon as that offer expired, another one popped up immediately. Then, after telling my friend about it a few months later, he wanted to get it too, and lo and behold there was another lifetime getflix offer available right then. So I think this getflix lifetime offer may be on perpetual repeat. As soon as one 'lifetime offer' expires, another pops up immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Got it a year ago myself and noticed as soon as that offer expired, another one popped up immediately. Then, after telling my friend about it a few months later, he wanted to get it too, and lo and behold there was another lifetime getflix offer available right then. So I think this getflix lifetime offer may be on perpetual repeat. As soon as one 'lifetime offer' expires, another pops up immediately!

Offer still open!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

i use the russian one, the freebe part, i have noticed if i set it to the nl in both amazon and fleabay i get ads in dutch so it must be working, its drawback is it will not work in all browsers, i prefer seamonkey, but i need to use chrome to use the geoblocker

• Advertisement

coxy123 wrote: »
    Offer still open!

Yeah, a quick google search shows that it's pretty much always open. I bought it pretty much exclusively for the BBC iPlayer as a hassle free way to watch BBC programs, does that job perfectly FWIW.

Advertisement