Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there ever a debate about who was the best Irish Sports person ever? *READ OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sxt wrote: »
    Roy Keane

There is no other Irish person close. Who ever is second, is a distant second

He is the most influential sports person in Irish sporting History, and in British football history

Any objections?

hes not even the greatest ever footballer - soccer player we have produced

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    hes not even the greatest ever footballer - soccer player we have produced

George best?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Its between Taylor and Padraig Harrington for me. I think with what KT has done she edges it but I will always have a soft spot for Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

italodisco wrote: »
    I hate to say it, as I can't stand him, but conor mcgregor would certainly be up there on the list

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Jack Charlton. Won a World Cup. Beat that Roy Keane

It's a common misconception that Big Jack won the World Cup with England in 1966. He actually won it with Ireland in 1990, thanks in no small part to Packie Bonner's amazing save when Toto Schillaci tried to score for Italy in the quarter finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Its clearly *insert some random GAA player from my county*.

My choice would be Keane and McGrath's lovechild.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Jack Charlton. Won a World Cup. Beat that Roy Keane

Also, was English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

.anon. wrote: »
    It's a common misconception that Big Jack won the World Cup with England in 1966. He actually won it with Ireland in 1990, thanks in no small part to Packie Bonner's amazing save when Toto Schillaci tried to score for Italy in the quarter finals.

Packie parried the shot with such velocity it fell into Jack Charltons path, who had the relatively easy task of slotting past an unsighted albeit not-bald-yet Walter Zenga.

George best?

George Best was as british as finchely

paul mc grath was a better player , at least for ireland

never saw him play but anyone ive spoken to , claims john giles was better than keane

Our most successful Olympian does get forgotten about in these lists.
    As far as I know, Jimmy Magee still protests her innocence. There are none so blind ...

Edit. He's dead isnt he? RIP memory man Jimmy Magee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Its between Taylor and Padraig Harrington for me. I think with what KT has done she edges it but I will always have a soft spot for Paddy.

People take away from what McGregor did due to MMA being a niche sport and to a point that's fair enough. But womens boxing has to be an even shallower talent pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

He was from Belfast, which is in Ireland, not Britain, as can clearly be seen from aerial photographs.

As far as I know, Jimmy Magee still protests her innocence. There are none so blind ...

Hes dead with years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Roy Keane is not even the best footballer. In this order
    1. Liam Brady
    2. Paul McGrath
    3. John Giles
    4. Roy Keane

Your having a laugh, the other 3 are only legends by Irish Standards. Keane is a legend by world standards, he's one of the best players to ever play in English football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

McGrath would be up there in fairness.

Cracked out our Euro 88 game against England the other evening (ITV commentary for some reason). Ron Atkinson said McGrath was probably the best defender in the tournament. Couldn't get over us playing him in centre-mid

.anon. wrote: »
    He was from Belfast, which is in Ireland, not Britain, as can clearly be seen from aerial photographs.

he identified as british so has to be excluded

"You can't be an Ulsterman without being an Irishman", who said that?

Ian Paisley.

If that dirty bigot could call himself an Irishman, then so was George Best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Michelle Smith de Bruin

You're taking the whiskey smelling piss

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Pat O'Callaghan - double Olympic Gold Medalist Amsterdam 1928 & Los Angeles 1932

"You can't be an Ulsterman without being an Irishman", who said that?

Ian Paisley.

If that dirty bigot could call himself an Irishman, then so was George Best.

if best saw himself as irish , thats good enough for me , i dont think he did however

if he is irish

he is out in front as the best ever sports person from this country - island

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Roy Keane is a ballbag's ballbag.

Pat O'Callaghan is Ireland's first Gold Medal Olympian.
    Two Golds in the hammer-throw and an all-round great athlete.
    Also was successful away from sport.

Nordies don’t count. Irish only.

We could have won that world cup..

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Brian O'Driscoll, recognised as one, of, if not the best centres to have ever played.
    Maintained high standards throughout for club and country, and held in extremely high regard internationally.
    And I know the usual "rugby is only played by a few posh lads" will be incoming but the question asked was greatest sportsperson not most popular sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

Imo Katie Taylor isn't close to being on the list. There were only 900 females registered for boxing in the UK in 2009, I'm presuming Ireland only had a fraction of that.

It's like being the best at something in your local town.

You can't compare that to being one of the best in the world out of the hundreds of millions that play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

sxt wrote: »
    Roy Keane

There is no other Irish person close. Who ever is second, is a distant second

He is the most influential sports person in Irish sporting History, and in British football history

Any objections?

Agree, nobody close imo for what he achieved. People who disagree just dislike him personally, simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Roy Keane is not even the best footballer. In this order
    1. Liam Brady
    2. Paul McGrath
    3. John Giles
    4. Roy Keane

Liam brady ok, debate to be had.. mcgrath and giles.. come off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Rory McIlroy.

4 Majors and constantly bothering the number one in the world spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Harrington without a doubt.

First Irish (as in non nordie) to win a major.
    First European to win a major in 27 attempts.
    Then he goes and defends the Open championship the next year.
    The first European to do that in 102 years

Then he just goes and does what no European had done in 78 years and win the PGA.

The above coupled with his numerous other tour wins makes him hands down the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

jimboblep wrote: »
    Brian O'Driscoll, recognised as one, of, if not the best centres to have ever played.
    Maintained high standards throughout for club and country, and held in extremely high regard internationally.
    And I know the usual "rugby is only played by a few posh lads" will be incoming but the question asked was greatest sportsperson not most popular sport.
    Rugby is only played by a few posh lads.

Advertisement