Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insufferable beer snobs.

• 21-07-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭

I was down West over the weekend for a few days holiday, and visited a pub on the Friday night as it has a good reputation for seafood.

No ordering at the bar these days, so some dork with a ginger beard and a load of tattoos came down to take our order. I asked for a dozen oysters to start, and a pint of Guinness. 'We have an excellent selections of stouts and porters in the bottle, as well as our own house stout if you'd prefer that instead', he said upon hearing my order.

'No you're grand, dude', I answered back.

'I can bring down a sample if you like. It's much more flavoursome than Guinness'.

'Grand so', I said, 'but make sure the Guinness is a decent pint as I'm rasping here with the thirst'.

Down comes my pint of Guinness, and I horse it into me like it's my last. Eventually a sample of their own house stout arrives down with my oysters. It tastes like bovril, cabbage water, and what I'd imagine a fungal toe infection tastes like. Disgusting.

Why do beer snobs always want to push their overpriced muck on punters? Like there's a few craft beers I like, especially that Galway Hooker stuff, but I'll try them in my own good time. This is the second time something like this has happened to me in the past year, and I'm wondering why beer snobs just can't get over the idea that the majority of people want the beer they want?

The Guinness was lovely btw, and I polished off 8 of them within the time we were allowed stay in the pub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

I was down West over the weekend for a few days holiday, and visited a pub on the Friday night as it has a good reputation for seafood.

No ordering at the bar these days, so some dork with a ginger beard and a load of tattoos came down to take our order. I asked for a dozen oysters to start, and a pint of Guinness. 'We have an excellent selections of stouts and porters in the bottle, as well as our own house stout if you'd prefer that instead', he said upon hearing my order.

'I can bring down a sample if you like. It's much more flavoursome than Guinness'.

'Grand so', I said, 'but make sure the Guinness is a decent pint as I'm rasping here with the thirst'.

Down comes my pint of Guinness, and I horse it into me like it's my last. Eventually a sample of their own house stout arrives down with my oysters. It tastes like bovril, cabbage water, and what I'd imagine a fungal toe infection tastes like. Disgusting.

Why do beer snobs always want to push their overpriced muck on punters? Like there's a few craft beers I like, especially that Galway Hooker stuff, but I'll try them in my own good time. This is the second time something like this has happened to me in the past year, and I'm wondering why beer snobs just can't get over the idea that the majority of people want the beer they want?

The Guinness was lovely btw, and I polished off 8 of them within the time we were allowed stay in the pub.

you sound like quite the connoisseur. Just the 8 was it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Damn reading that makes me wanna go out and absolutely sloshed on a rake of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have been in your shoes a couple times :D Some beer hipster wanting me to try their local dishwater.
    I'll take a Guinness, please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Other brands of stouts can be nice and enjoyable but I'll always reach for a Guinness if it's available, a good crisp pint can't be beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Was the Guiness pulled at the right angle and left for the magic time period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Well to be fair, we have beer tossers to thank for the increased variety available these days, so lets not write them off altogether.

It's thanks to eejits in startupps making manky pale ale in their bathtubs that people started drinking the stuff.

Now proper brewers like Diageo who can actually control their brewing process have taken over with the like of Smithwicks Pale Ale - it's my pale ale of choice these days - far superior to almost everything else on offer, with the exception of McGargles which have a few decent ones. Excellent, balanced taste and total consistency.

The 'local stuff' is usually made on a shoestring by unqualified morons on 10th-hand equipment and tastes like detergent. There are a few exceptions to this, but not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

s8n wrote: »
    you sound like quite the connoisseur. Just the 8 was it ??

No, I had 4 cans more when we got back to the Airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Ipso wrote: »

🤣🤣🤣

Excellent trolling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bit declasse to eat oysters in a month without an "r" in it.

I'd say the hoop must of been hangin out of ya the next day, lad.

• Advertisement

This is a real bugbear. Let the anoraks have wine, take whiskey, and even have coffee. But don't come for beer. Don't complicate it. You saw what happened with the whole Ribena Guinness debacle.

I've nothing against craft beers. Some of them are very lovely. Fine for drinking at home when you only want one or two. But when I go to a pub, the last thing I want to be doing is sipping out of a pilsner glass and acting like this beer is a fine cognac, or listening to an endless, mindless narration over every drop. It's even tedious when people do this with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ipso wrote: »

I don’t know and I don’t care. The pint tasted lovely, unlike the vile craft swill they were trying to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

There's nothing worse than experimenting with one of these beers and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth half the night. If I'm out to enjoy myself of an evening I will drink what I enjoy and feck all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Ya must have had a fair Sh1te after that Johnny between the Oysters and slaughtering all those pints...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Sky King wrote: »
    Well to be fair, we have beer tossers to thank for the increased variety available these days, so lets not write them off altogether.

Yeah but now I can't find Harp on tap anywhere, not worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You can't blame them for trying to promote their own and one won't kill ya. When in Rome.. anyway Guinness is overrated prefer Murphys or Beamish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The people who go on about beer snobs are far more numerous and far more annoying then the actually small amount of genuine beer snobs.

I've met one lad in my life who was a complete beer snob. One. I've met about fifty blowhards going on about beer snobs.

Yeah but now I can't find Harp on tap anywhere, not worth.

Carlsberg with a dash of windowlene - almost as good

You should head up north for your hols - lots of harp still in the pubs up there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Beer is an acquired taste, so you might as well acquire a taste for cheap beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I'm not a big drinker anymore cause I hate the hangover, but I just couldn't say no to a bag of guinness tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you are in a pub, the only staff whom you want to encounter is bar staff / waiting staff to serve you what YOU want to order. You don’t want sales people pushing X product on you... if I’m in a car dealership, I expect sales people, in the pub, I don’t.

If I’m in x establishment and I ask for a Guinness, the next words from the servers mouth I expect to hear is “certainly, coming right up”... I don’t want to hear... “ hold on, well we have this oyster stout from the west called Achill Sound, I think you’ll like the robust and creamy flavor which..”... my reply.. “you’ve never met me , you don’t know what I like or don’t like, now re-adjust your copping the fûck on antenna back to what I just told you I actually wanted, not what you think I ‘might’ want !”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Sky King wrote: »
    You should head up north for your hols - lots of harp still in the pubs up there.

Nice! Do they also have bass on tap? Nordies are spoilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair to this lad he was probably told to push their own stout as it naturally would have a much much higher margin.

Some microbreweries do suffer from a lack of consistency in quality, you will occasionally get one that tastes like feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Reminds me of the one time and the only time many years ago a barmaid suggested a dash of blackcurrant in my pint of Guinness. It was turning into a Mrs. Doyle scenario when eventually she said if I didn’t like it she’d get me a fresh pint.

One gulp and ‘twas disgusting, even a fresh pint did nothing to get rid of the aftertaste :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Other than a pint of plain, the only other alcoholic beverage worthy of wetting my beak is a cold Weissbier - they've had a chequered past the old Germans but they do make an exceedingly delicious beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Reminds me of the one time and the only time many years ago a barmaid suggested a dash of blackcurrant in my pint of Guinness. It was turning into a Mrs. Doyle scenario when eventually she said if I didn’t like it she’d get me a fresh pint.

One gulp and ‘twas disgusting, even a fresh pint did nothing to get rid of the aftertaste :(

Blasphemy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Strumms wrote: »
    If you are in a pub, the only staff whom you want to encounter is bar staff / waiting staff to serve you what YOU want to order. You don’t want sales people pushing X product on you... if I’m in a car dealership, I expect sales people, in the pub, I don’t.

If I’m in x establishment and I ask for a Guinness, the next words from the servers mouth I expect to hear is “certainly, coming right up”... I don’t want to hear... “ hold on, well we have this oyster stout from the west called Achill Sound, I think you’ll like the robust and creamy flavor which..”... my reply.. “you’ve never met me , you don’t know what I like or don’t like, now re-adjust your copping the fûck on antenna back to what I just told you I actually wanted, not what you think I ‘might’ want !”

That sounds very sharp. Why cut the ground from under some poor young wan or lad doing their best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Maybe he didn't want you drinking English beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Drink Guinness in Irish pubs 90% of the time but my god some of the craft beers are amazing. I only drink craft or smaller brewer beers at home for pure taste and strength, pissy watered down lager is sickening to me.

Generally do beer tours in any country i go to and taste their local beers, some of these beers go back hundreds of years, especially trappist beers.

People that only drink Heineken or something are seriously missing out on whats on offer and i don't just mean the craft beer buzz that has risen the past 10 years, look at well established beers from around the world and not just Diageo, Heineken or Carlsberg

Guess i'm a beer snob so:rolleyes: do love the Guinness though so i'm not completely lost to giant companies pumping out flavored water for the masses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The waiter probably spat in the craft beer johnny when you used the term dude.
    Just saying

Advertisement