Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

• 21-09-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

we have a thread on oil, and one on coal, so why not one for firewood (incl all wood fuel products)?

I don't have a deal yet though - here's a list of wood fuel suppliers from the SEAI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Got 4 tonne bags of hardwood delivered for 60 euro per bag in the Gorey area the other day. No site or online presence so PM me for number if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

Got a trailer of good (dry and nicely sized) timber of delivered in Killorglin, kerry area for €100. No site or online presence. PM me for number.

Just so everyone remembers that a tonne sized bag is not necessarily a tonne of logs, generally a "tonne sized bag" is 1m x 1m x 1m but it can hold more or less than 1000 kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Good point vicwatson. It can be confusing when you first go looking (found that out last year... first time with a stove). Everyone seems to measure the wood differently, it's difficult to compare. Always best to go by volume.

The bags that I got were well packed, builders tonne bags stacked above the rim with good size & dry pieces. More than enough here to get me through the winter and out the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just so everyone remembers that a tonne sized bag is not necessarily a tonne of logs, generally a "tonne sized bag" is 1m x 1m x 1m but it can hold more or less than 1000 kgs

It can't under any circumstance hold more or near 1 ton of logs.

A solid cubic meter of Irish ash or oak is about 700kg, spruce and beech are about 550kg.

When sold as 'bulk' timber you're buying an awful lot of air. Bulk softwood is as little as 180kg per 'ton' bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

In the Dublin area - Dublin Fuel Centre had competitive prices for kiln dried ash when I bought some last year. Will probably go with them again this year unless anyone can better their price. They sell 1 tonne builders bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

It can't under an circumstance hold more or near 1 ton of logs.

A solid cubic meter of Irish ash or oak is about 700kg, spruce and beech are about 550kg.

When sold as 'bulk' timber you're buying an awful lot of air. Bulk softwood is as little as 180kg per 'ton' bag.

That's the reason timber is so hard to quantify if you're buying it.
    Volume to weight will vary depending on the type of timber, so it depends on what timber you buy as to the value it is per load or bag.
    I have a good supply of whitethorn and ash in a shed that I got from my own land.
    Cleaning ditches down, its great fire stuff alright with a good heat and lasts well too.
    Not for sale though, and I harvest turf as my main fire fuel.

surball wrote: »
    In the Dublin area - Dublin Fuel Centre had competitive prices for kiln dried ash when I bought some last year. Will probably go with them again this year unless anyone can better their price. They sell 1 tonne builders bags.

Are you burning it for effect or for heating. At their prices its about the same price as gas/oil if you have a very efficient stove, running optimally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭ Esteban Huge Firefight

The price of wood is outrageous. It's as cheap to burn oil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Its not as environmental friendly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I bought a ton bag blocks last winter and they looked lovely on top but as we got down through the bag the quality got worse and worse.
    The bottom few layers were only thick branches of trees and not split blocks .

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Are you burning it for effect or for heating. At their prices its about the same price as gas/oil if you have a very efficient stove, running optimally.

a combination of both. We don't use it all the time and it's not our main source of heating in our house. The 185 for 2 ton bags of kiln dried ash wood will get us 4months worth of weekend and occasional evening use.

I'm afraid I can't afford to worry bout the environment thanks to our government so money talks.

It can't under any circumstance hold more or near 1 ton of logs.

Hence my caveat

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Sorry to hijack the thread guys, I also received around a ton and a half in arklow for 60 euro from a bloke on Facebook... Think it was soft wood if it makes any difference...

Also noticed that another Chap was selling 3 x ton bags of peat for 100 euro but not sure if that is a good deal or not..

Any thoughts?

Also noticed that another Chao was selling 3 x ton bags of peat for €100… but not sure if that is a good deal or not..
    Any thoughts?

Sounds cheap but it depends on the size of the 'ton' bags, quality, density and moisture content of the turf.

When comparing 'ton' bags bear in mind a slightly smaller looking bag can be a lot less turf
    1m x 1m x 1m = 1m3
    0.8m x 0.8m x 0.8m = 0.512m3 - approx half the turf
    0.7m x 0.7m x 0.7m = 0.343m3 - approx one third the turf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Crate Of Kiln Dried Beech Firewood Logs 600Kg 25cm - €289, free delivery

for comparison, I got 2 x 400kg crates for €199 each last year, with free delivery (at the time, iirc the "offer" was €239 or 229 reduced to €199)

quality is very good imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ablelocks wrote: »
    Crate Of Kiln Dried Beech Firewood Logs 600Kg 25cm - €289, free delivery

for comparison, I got 2 x 400kg crates for €199 each last year, with free delivery (at the time, iirc the "offer" was €239 or 229 reduced to €199)

quality is very good imo

Dairygold area. Will they deliver to Donegal at that price?

As it says on the Delivery And Returns Policy page, "nationwide delivery"

• Advertisement

Says the following

"Our current promotion provides free delivery on all orders in excess of €200 – a limited number of products are excluded from this offer and are highlighted at point of purchase."

Also states this product qualifies for free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭AlanG

Not sure if its a deal but clonee sawmills had the following prices earlier in the year. Well packed and good wood.
    Bulk Bag (1m3) Kiln Dried Beech €145.00
    Crate (1.9m3) Kiln Dried Ash €385.00

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Public2015

ablelocks wrote: »

Is this good value? I've no Idea what 600kg of kiln dried beech should cost, but is this in the ball park value-wise?

Public2015 wrote: »
    Is this good value? I've no Idea what 600kg of kiln dried beech should cost, but is this in the ball park value-wise?

i think it's ok. The co-op superstore sells this wood by the 10kg bag at 5.79 a bag, so you're saving about 58 by buying it in bulk. Free delivery makes it worthwhile then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

There's already a similar thread in the Forestry sub-forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057476913

ablelocks wrote:
    i think it's ok. The co-op superstore sells this wood by the 10kg bag at 5.79 a bag, so you're saving about 58 by buying it in bulk. Free delivery makes it worthwhile then.

I wouldn't be using the likes of co-op superstores as a yardstick they charge crazy prices.
    From what I've seen of the price of wood it's cheaper to burn oil

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I wouldn't be using the likes of co-op superstores as a yardstick they charge crazy prices.
    From what I've seen of the price of wood it's cheaper to burn oil

I buy coal and logs from Dairygold as I have a boiler stove as the only heat source. To keep the stove going for 12 hours a day costs roughly €8.5 and the house is still comfortably warm in the morning until the stove is lit at 1pm. The last fill is 9pm and it lasts until 1am. If I were to get the same heat from oil even with an efficient modern burner I would use 3L/hour @ 58c/L that would cost €20.88/day. So how do you come to the conclusion that oil is cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Anybody know anyone selling hardwood in Dublin for sale looking for a tonne or trailer?

I was really talking about wood on its own and going by the few blocks you'd get in a trailer for € 60 to € 80 and to generate the same heat. I reckon it would be cheaper to burn oil
    You're doing well to heat the house for twelve hours a day for under € 60 a week. How many bags of coal do you burn.
    It's € 19 euro for a bag of coal in the Co Op near me and I don't know how much the logs are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I buy coal and logs from Dairygold as I have a boiler stove as the only heat source. To keep the stove going for 12 hours a day costs roughly €8.5 and the house is still comfortably warm in the morning until the stove is lit at 1pm. The last fill is 9pm and it lasts until 1am. If I were to get the same heat from oil even with an efficient modern burner I would use 3L/hour @ 58c/L that would cost €20.88/day. So how do you come to the conclusion that oil is cheaper?

Your calculations are way off, I know plenty of people with oil heating and would be nowhere near what your saying it costs. Your calculations on the oil leave out so many variables.

Advertisement