Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the Social welfare check your Bank Account

• 23-03-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'M just curious but do the Social welfare routinely check Bank Accounts or indeed can any government Agency check or do they just concertrete on major criminals and would they need your permission or a Court order . Don't worry I'm not a major criminal just interested :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

katy39 wrote: »
    I'M just curious but can the Social welfare check your Bank Account or indeed can any government Agency check or do they just concertrete on major criminals and would they need a Court order . :rolleyes:

Nope but they can ask request offical evidence from the Bank to what is in it. If not provided they can get a court order to provide this information. Copied statments won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

katy39 wrote: »
    I'M just curious but do the Social welfare routinely check Bank Accounts or indeed can any government Agency check or do they just concertrete on major criminals and would they need your permission or a Court order . Don't worry I'm not a major criminal just interested :rolleyes:

When applying for social benefits they can ask to see recent bank statements. If you don't provide them chances are you won't get the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

they can ask to see recent bank statements

can you just tell them you don't have one ?

Recent article in the newspapers that 25% of adults in Ireland don't have a bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

amen wrote: »

Recent article in the newspapers that 25% of adults in Ireland don't have a bank account.

That'd be fraud.

Anyway, OP. Far as I know they can ask to request statements but also, I believe the means test is based on current money so if (for some reason) you happened to spend 50,000 in a few days before they want a statement you wouldn't have it as means. Again, I'm not sure so don't take my word on it.

How come you asked, anyway? Depending on what it's for they might not even care about your bank statements.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I`m nearly sure that your obliged to give accurate and honest details.in all dealings with the dept???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If you've got any sort of work history I don't think that would wash. Their aren't many employers these days who pay cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

That'd be fraud.

Anyway, OP. Far as I know they can ask to request statements but also, I believe the means test is based on current money so if (for some reason) you happened to spend 50,000 in a few days before they want a statement you wouldn't have it as means. Again, I'm not sure so don't take my word on it.

How come you asked, anyway? Depending on what it's for they might not even care about your bank statements.

SW would ask what the money was spent on and ask for proof. And would follow the paper trail if that amount of money went missing just a couple of days before a means test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

eastbono wrote: »
    SW would ask what the money was spent on and ask for proof. And would follow the paper trail if that amount of money went missing just a couple of days before a means test.

I didn't think of it like that. Common sense would be "oh you just took out 50k, on what". Well I'm an idiot and thanks for explaining. :P

Unless you are talking about a lot of money it wont make difference. It only kicks in after the first 20k and the social welfare only drops a small bit for every 5 or 10k after that.

If you can trust a family member then you can transfer money into their account. If you are trying to explain where money went ie redundancy etc. then you can say that you had personel loans from family members and you paid them back. If its a lot of money then you should come clean and get what you are due (or not due).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I didn't think of it like that. Common sense would be "oh you just took out 50k, on what". Well I'm an idiot and thanks for explaining. :P

No prob thats why sw look for bank accounts going back a couple of months and if needed going back a year or so. And your not an idiot just that I know what happens and what to look for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

27.If you have savings or accounts in a bank, post office, building society, credit union or any
    other financial institution, please state:
    Name of financial
    institution:
    Account number:
    Current balance: € , .
    Financial Institution 1
    Name of financial
    institution:
    Account number:
    Financial Institution 2
    Name of financial
    institution:
    Account number:
    Financial Institution 3
    Name of financial
    institution:
    Account number:
    Financial Institution 4
    Please attach a statement for each account, showing balance for the
    last three months.

28.If you own stocks, shares or investments, please state:
    Their value: € , .
    the above taken (rather crudely) from the carers allowance application form by way of example.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/cr1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 rentboy

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding a one off weekly welfare payment in advance. I have just got more bills to pay this week and typically it clashes with rent. Anyway, as I am freaking out a wee bit I am wondering if anybody knows if I can go down to my post office tomorrow, Friday the 25th March, to collect NEXT WEEKS payment? I ask as I am already in arrears with bills and bank letters are getting on top of me. I need to pop down to the post office first thing basically. I am going to ring them later but just thought I'd ask here.

Many Thanks,
    RB

rentboy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding a one off weekly welfare payment in advance. I have just got more bills to pay this week and typically it clashes with rent. Anyway, as I am freaking out a wee bit I am wondering if anybody knows if I can go down to my post office tomorrow, Friday the 25th March, to collect NEXT WEEKS payment? I ask as I am already in arrears with bills and bank letters are getting on top of me. I need to pop down to the post office first thing basically. I am going to ring them later but just thought I'd ask here.

Many Thanks,
    RB

Bring your bills down to the CWO. They will give you a cheque and deduct some of it from your payment next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

rentboy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Many Thanks,
    RB

You can apply to the CWO for an Exceptional Needs payment, , this is a once of payment th help meet the needs for lets say in your case bills, this payment is at the CWO discretion, but it is worth a try, as the worse he/she can say is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭SlanGoFoil2011

I have a property in the UK.

Is there any way the department can find out about that, if i dont tell them.

ie if I say nothing - will they be none the wiser

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is kind of why we need a more robust social welfare system........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I wonder would they believe you if you told them you don't have a current account. :D

I don't have one. My partner has one and we use that for all the bills etc. No point in having 2 current accounts and paying silly fees on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They can "find out" just by chance sometimes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

That would be fraud so you would be breaking the law, obviously you dont want to do that, why would you want to steal from your own country?:confused:
    If your finding it hard to manage, why dont you sell your poroerty in the UK and live off the proceeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If a person goes to spain and keeps disability allowance going can the welfare check where u are getting ur money out ?how do the catch people claming here and living abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

2018 wrote: »
    If a person goes to spain and keeps disability allowance going can the welfare check where u are getting ur money out ?how do the catch people claming here and living abroad

There’s a number of ways they discover that your not living where you said you were.
    It’s really really a bad idea to move anywhere and not tell them. There’s a number of high profile cases of SW fraud even in the last 2 weeks where the guilty have been sent to prison.

Advertisement