Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Has a tape or transcript been published?

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1175026883274190848?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

everlast75 wrote: »

Ha ha that’s ridiculous ! He really does speak like a mob boss.... just like Michael Cohen said..... similar to how he spoke to Comey also.... I guess that kind of caution shows some level of intelligence by Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

As someone said earlier, this entire presidency has been basically a middle-finger salute to anyone who thinks that Congress really has any power or oversight regarding the executive branch. It really makes no odds what Trump does at this point, he's basically untouchable because the Republicans in the Senate will never be seen to act against a Republican president.

The Dems should at least attempt impeachment. If they don't do anything and just mess around with these endless "hearings" it's basically setting this as the standard for future US presidencies and for a full-blown fascist regime in the States. Get elected, and you can act with impunity. Wait til Trump gets into full campaign mode. This election is going to make the previous one look like a pleasant afternoon in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ah, that's the point. The only real problem the Dems have is it isn't one of them in the WH.

They don't want to be creating standards they will regret when they inevitably get back in the WH.

So hum and haw and lots of hand ringing, but don't rock the boat too much as their time will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The Dems should at least attempt impeachment. If they don't do anything and just mess around with these endless "hearings" it's basically setting this as the standard for future US presidencies and for a full-blown fascist regime in the States. Get elected, and you can act with impunity. Wait til Trump gets into full campaign mode. This election is going to make the previous one look like a pleasant afternoon in the park.

Another potential benefit of impeachment hearings if they fail is that it will prove that the system is not working as intended and that there isn't really an emergency system for if the President is either a criminal and/or utterly incompetent.
    That in turn might give the impetus to both houses (at least amongst those who aren't actively trying to create a fascist state) that measures need to be taken to give them some capacity for oversight.

If no impeachment takes place, you'd worry that even if the Democrats regain control of the government, excuses would be made that Congress never used the tools available to remove Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

He didn’t actually say anything about withholding the 250 million during the phone call, though that funding definitely was an issue both parties were aware of, but he did ask the Ukraine president EIGHT times to get dirt on Biden

I assume that the call was not short, seeing as how he felt the need to ask for the same thing 8 times. The question comes up: did the Ukrainian President say NO diplomatically several times to the request or does the repeated requests show that Don is really rattled about his re-election chances now?

Re the Lewandowski and Giuliani performances, as some-one else posted earlier, I think they are distraction to fill the media pages with B/S.

I was watching CNN earlier showing a poll result on the Dem runners, indicating there are 3 front-runners ahead of the others. The surprising thing is that it was a Fox News poll CNN were showing and quoting. Is it a sign that Fox News is being seen as partly or fully rehabilitated in terms of journalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could you IMAGINE if Obama had done 0.00000000000000000000001% of what Trump has done since coming in to office what the republicans would have done!

This won't bring Trump down because the republicans are too scared he is going to light them up on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

US Secretary for Defence and Defence chairman/COS on CNN briefing media live now, US will be sending weapons support to SA and another Arab ally in the region, following on from the attack on SA oil. Troops will also be sent to SA. Sec Def said both Cruise and drone missile were used in the attack on SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

So, the reporting since last night is zeroing in on a July call Trump had with Zelensky. According to most recent reports citing people familiar with the call, Trump asked specifically (8 times) for Ukraine to work with Giuliani on a Hunter Biden investigation. Those most recent reports say also that no mention was made of the $250 million.

So, the focus is on that July call. However, the Wall St Journal reported that when Atkinson met with the House Intelligence Committee on Thursday, "Mr. Atkinson declined to tell lawmakers the substance of the complaint or whether it involves the president, but he did say it involves more than one episode and is based on a series of events, according to several people who attended or were briefed on the meeting."

So Atkinson was updating the Committee on something that the whistleblower reported as having occurred multiple times within "a series of events" that "involves more that one episode". Based on last night's meltdown by Rudi on CNN, I reckon the whistleblower reported not just the Trump call, but also the multiple alleged meetings between Rudi and Ukranian officials. Now, Trump might not have referred to the $250 m in the July call, but given how he works (as detailed by Lewandowski in relation to the dictated notes for Jeff Sessions) I believe that Giuliani was the one who linked the promise (involving the $250m funding) with the demand for dirt on Biden. He was at pains last night to distance Trump from his dealings with Ukraine, thereby trying to provide POTUS with plausible deniability.

Rudi needs to be hauled up under oath by Congress to explain himself. And the bullying personal privilege and/or client privilege cannot be used, If he was acting on his own behalf and engaging with a foreign Government. I'd like to see Barry Berke getting a half hour with Rudi in front of the cameras on the Hill on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

This won't bring Trump down because the republicans are too scared he is going to light them up on Twitter.

This won't bring Trump down because he has an (R) beside his name, and nothing, nothing will make Republicans in the Senate take down a Republican president.

• Advertisement

This won't bring Trump down because he has an (R) beside his name, and nothing, nothing will make Republicans in the Senate take down a Republican president.

It might not get him impeached but it might ruin his chances of winning re-election

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It might not get him impeached but it might ruin his chances of winning re-election

HA HA HA!

Re-election, good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭amandstu

How does this affect Biden's chances of selection/election?

amandstu wrote: »

As I heard one talking head on CNN, Trump will be loving it. He knows there is zero chance of anyone actually holding him to account and at the same time the public now hear about possible corruption for Biden every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

amandstu wrote: »

Biden would be a horrible candidate for President. He's clearly suffering from some issues at the moment, forgetting who he's talking to, where he is and so on. We love to laugh at Trumps slip ups in his speeches, but Biden has been making a lot of them too.

I see another wrinkle on the Ukraine story overnight.

Not only did Trump clear payment of the $250 million but a further $140 million was paid to Ukraine recently, coming as a complete (and welcome) surprise to Ukraine..

One doesn't need any wrinkles, it is clear as day what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

amandstu wrote:

Ah shur trump more than likely has it in the bag anyway, no matter who his goes up against him

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So, the reporting since last night is zeroing in on a July call Trump had with Zelensky. According to most recent reports citing people familiar with the call, Trump asked specifically (8 times) for Ukraine to work with Giuliani on a Hunter Biden investigation. Those most recent reports say also that no mention was made of the $250 million.

So, the focus is on that July call. However, the Wall St Journal reported that when Atkinson met with the House Intelligence Committee on Thursday, "Mr. Atkinson declined to tell lawmakers the substance of the complaint or whether it involves the president, but he did say it involves more than one episode and is based on a series of events, according to several people who attended or were briefed on the meeting."

So Atkinson was updating the Committee on something that the whistleblower reported as having occurred multiple times within "a series of events" that "involves more that one episode". Based on last night's meltdown by Rudi on CNN, I reckon the whistleblower reported not just the Trump call, but also the multiple alleged meetings between Rudi and Ukranian officials. Now, Trump might not have referred to the $250 m in the July call, but given how he works (as detailed by Lewandowski in relation to the dictated notes for Jeff Sessions) I believe that Giuliani was the one who linked the promise (involving the $250m funding) with the demand for dirt on Biden. He was at pains last night to distance Trump from his dealings with Ukraine, thereby trying to provide POTUS with plausible deniability.

Rudi needs to be hauled up under oath by Congress to explain himself. And the bullying personal privilege and/or client privilege cannot be used, If he was acting on his own behalf and engaging with a foreign Government. I'd like to see Barry Berke getting a half hour with Rudi in front of the cameras on the Hill on this one...
    Two words box.office.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Biden would be a horrible candidate for President. He's clearly suffering from some issues at the moment, forgetting who he's talking to, where he is and so on. We love to laugh at Trumps slip ups in his speeches, but Biden has been making a lot of them too.

Biden’s issues are extremely mild compared to the wild incoherent ramblings from the current President, which seem to be getting worse as time passes by.

I wouldn’t be the biggest fan of Biden for President but it’s important to remember that if Biden does get the democratic nomination it really is a binary choice

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Biden’s issues are extremely mild compared to the wild incoherent ramblings from the current President, which seem to be getting worse as time passes by.

I wouldn’t be the biggest fan of Biden for President but it’s important to remember that if Biden does get the democratic nomination it really is a binary choice

Bidens failings will be exploited ten fold relative to Trump, the republican apparatus/ fox are very effective.... Biden is a very flawed candidate

Bidens failings will exploited ten fold relative to Trump, the republican apparatus/ fox are very effective.... Biden is a very flawed candidate

The real problem is of course any attacks on Biden are even worse issues when it comes to Trump. But of course to Trump supporters that doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Ah, that's the point. The only real problem the Dems have is it isn't one of them in the WH.

They don't want to be creating standards they will regret when they inevitably get back in the WH.

So hum and haw and lots of hand ringing, but don't rock the boat too much as their time will come.

I think that's very unfair.
    The Democrats haven't had a president remotely like Trump in modern times.
    The Republicans have had presidents like Reagan and Bush that viewed executive power as all encompassing. Think Iran Contra and Iraq war.

edi, for example, Obama could have filled the supreme court opening by recess appointment but didn't. I'd guess both Bush and Trump would have gone tha route.

Who is going to release the transcript first ? My money is on the Ukraine... a leak to a paper is coming... tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As far as I know the Ukrainian read out had been widely circulated at this point

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

As far as I know the Ukrainian read out had been widely circulated at this point

Circulated where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Circulated where ?

Media, most of them including WSJ ran with the same story referencing the read out so I'd assume they all have if or have at least seen it.

8 occasions pressure was applied.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I've seen repeated references to the Ukrainian 'readout' as being a basis for some reporting in the US.

This term is normally used to describe an agreed summary of a call, which tends to highlight agreed positives and either de-emphasise disagreements / areas of contention, or not refer to them at all.

While arguably better than nothing, a readout is no substitute for a transcript, (or even better, a "tape") which is what is needed to fully understand the content of the call. We'll never see that! Hopefully, at least the appropriate Congressional leads will get an un- abridged version in order to put this latest controversy to bed one way or the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've seen repeated references to the Ukrainian 'readout' as being a basis for some reporting in the US.

This term is normally used to describe an agreed summary of a call, which tends to highlight agreed positives and either de-emphasise disagreements / areas of contention, or not refer to them at all.

While arguably better than nothing, a readout is no substitute for a transcript, (or even better, a "tape") which is what is needed to fully understand the content of the call. We'll never see that! Hopefully, at least the appropriate Congressional leads will get an un- abridged version in order to put this latest controversy to bed one way or the other!

ASAIK (I can try and find the reference to this) the whistleblower complaint comes from multiple incidences, not just one call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting. Deploying troops in support of the Saudi government, focusing on missile defense. So.. if a foreign actor shoots a missile at Saudi Arabia, US troops must respond? This article isn't great at describing exactly *what* the troop's mandate is, but it sure seems like the US military are mercenaries-for-hire by the Saudi's. Well, they're great customers I suppose, and the US has to protect it's customers so they can buy more good military hardware.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/462418-trump-approves-troop-deployment-in-response-to-attacks-on-saudi-oil-sites

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement