Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody gone to the Gaeltacht

• 16-03-2002 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

If there is anybody out there in cyberland who has gone to the Gaeltacht and actually liked it. I know that everbody says its great but really (no lies please) is it good or bad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I didn't like it much, to many idiots in Celtic jerseys and three hours Irish every morning

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I went to Camus for 6 years and loved it mostly.
    Strict on the irish-only rule but there you go.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

-went to cill chiarain (connamara) twice (1996, 1998)
    -had a fantastic time, made loads of friends (no matter how reserved you are, you will)
    -learned lots- did loads on the oral exam, also, having to survive speaking irish only really forces you to learn lots, fast! you'll remember it too!
    -medium strict on the speaking of english- 3 strikes and you're out
    -walked everywhere (6miles a day, but didnt notice it!) lost a stone and got a tan!!

i really cannot recommend going to the gaeltacht enough! it's fun, you'll be away from parents for 3 weeks, you'll make friends, learn, do loads of sport, sing, talk, dance like a nutcase, and its as much a rite of passage for irish people as the debs, the leaving, J1 and interrailing are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tv-a-holic

where is cill chiarain and what is the number for the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ITS ****!!!!
    went to it last year, got kicked out after 10 days!
    dont go!
    especially to carna or sumtin like dat!!! def dont go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ya ya, just looked...
    i wento chill chiaran... it was ****!
    dere as strict!!!
    dont go!
    go 2 aran islands... can do netin u want out ther!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

probably going to camus this summer- the prospect of no phone, no books, no magazines terrifies me...i'm being forced to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I was in Rinne(Co. Waterford) in 1996, had a brilliant time, i'd recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Well I'm not suggesting that Ahamah and Conz were like this, but I found from my personal Gaeltacht experience that just about all the people who got sent home were plainly not interested in even making an effort.

Certainly I heard the story about the nut cases who sent a girl home just because she let slip "Excuse Me" automatically, because she burped.

But from all my experience, the people who got sent home were people who made it clear from the start by their general attitude, that they didn't want to be there and were determined not to stay, in fact some of them were selfish enough to drag other people into their little vendetta by constantly speaking english to those who were prepared to make the effort to speak irish, forcing them into an uncomfortable position and even mocking them if they wouldn't speak english back to them
    I never saw one eager, dedicated, person who made a decent effort get sent home.

I base this on having gone to two different colleges, and having spent two years at each. I will be attending a new one this Summer after taking a two year break from the courses.(The money they pay the "Cinirí" isn't the best, especially if you're saving up for a holiday or something, but the fun makes up for it)

Of the two I went to, the first was very lax and the other one strict. I recommend the stricter ones highly. Go to the lax ones if you want but you'll learn sod all irish.
    My irish was always decent enough, but even in the strict one, where the odd person slipped very slightly, it was overlooked with just a warning to be careful, if previous to this the person had shown themselves to have made a genuine effort. But even amongst the strict ones, the strictness depends on the individual college.
    Lastly, to anyone who hasn't gone before and is fearing it, I could introduce you to a hundred people who felt the same way at first,
    but who made an effort, and had the time of their lives and return every year. Not to mention all the new friends you'll make from all over the country. Bainigí taitneamh as ! (Enjoy it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

tv-a-holic, what you need to decide is whether or not your going to learn a serious amount of Irish or just to learn a bit and have some fun!

I went Colaiste Chiarain (no idea how to spell it!) after second year. I learnt very little Irish but I had the time of my life! It really was that good! I think I was just lucky though. The bean an Ti was really nice! She washed all our clothes. Cooked whatever we wanted and made loads of it. We were right next door to the girls house and there wsa a shop nearby! Great time! Unfortunately I learned very little irish.

Last summer I went to Colaiste NiFhiann. The one mentioned above where the girl was sent home for saying "excuse me". It was very republican. Army drills in the morning! Singing the national anthem while the flag came up and down everyday! It was very strict! NO ONE talked english. I learnt loads and loads of Irish. however I hated it. Everyone was young, about 15/16. I was almost 18. There was only about 5 girls my age and the stuff they did was more orientated for the younger crowd I felt. But I kind of knew before I went that I wouldn't like it I just went to improve my Irish for the oral.

Hope this helped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I forgot to mention Cumann na Fhiann. They are a youth group in Irish. I was asked to go but never did. They have something like 30 clubs all round Ireland. If you want to improve your Irish its great to go to. An hour and a half of Irish every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I went to Colaiste Lurgan in Connemara in 1996 and 1997 and had the time of my life. My Irish vastly improved both orally and written. Do go, preferbly to a 'strict' one. Theres no point in going to a college where you know that you'll get away with speaking English. I learned to respect the language from my experiences there. My advise would be to go to Chamas, Lurgan or Colaiste NiFhiann.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I went to Collaiste Connact in Galway, salthill 2 years ago, first time going to one, and I thought it was a good place, didn't hvae to speak much irish in the house or anything, but at the classes, had to give ti a fair bash, I also noticed I had improoved a lot in my irish speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

COOLEA !!

South West Cork, best summer i ever had. didnt learn any irish, but met losta sexy ladies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

anyone know anything about colaiste ui chaidin
    i went to inis iar colaiste lochtain naofa, little irish much laffs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No it wasn't!!! I had to share a room with you!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by SheroN
    I was in Rinne(Co. Waterford) in 1996, had a brilliant time, i'd recommend it to anyone.

isn't is An Rinn or Ring for the English speakers. anyway it is a great place for a session. great views too of Dungarvan, the surrounding area and the mountains if you are into that sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Emmi-apple

Yep.. i was at colaiste chonnacht last year..the first few days were kind of iffy..like getting to know the place and stuff!!..but after that it was great..the houses don't seem to be too strict about irish but the colaiste is.. although they have a "3 times and you're out" system so it's fair enough!! you'll have a great time and make loads of new friends and if you make the effortyou'll notice and improved level of irish in yourself!:) Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Bhí mé ag Coláiste Laichtín Naofa (Inis Oírr) i 2004, 2005 agus 2006, agus caithfidh mé a rá go raibh an-craic agam ann. Ceapaim go mbíonn spórt níos fearr agat má théann tú go dtí an áit chéann cúpla uair.

Ach, an méid sin ráite, thaitin mo chéad uair ann go mór liom.

I was at Coláiste Laichtín Naofa (Inis Oírr) in 2004, 2005 and 2006, and I must say, I had great fun there. I think you have better fun if you go to the same place a couple of times.

But, that said, I enjoyed my first time a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Dante

Its a great laugh if you're not a dry shíte or an awkward bastard....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

From An Rinn in Waterford to Cultúrlann in Belfast. I've been most impressed by Cultúrlann and the surrounding falls area. Despite lack of support for the language montetarily and bigotted vetos against it by the DUP, it flourishes there. As I glanced over a book in their bookshop, my heart was warmed - and I'm not afraid to say it - but two young girls who spoke to each other in Irish. They couldn't have been anymore than 7 or 8.

Most of the Gaeltachtaí are beautiful - An Rinn, anywhere up around Connemara and the Arans, An Daingean and so forth are really beautiful places where you find yourself getting away from the television, and really engaging in the many treasures that this country has to offer. Beautiful beaches, coastlines mountains and people!

If you haven't gone to the Gaeltacht - you've missed out. As for "strict" goes - you're there to learn the language firstly and foremost, so it's a must. It doesn't mean you can't have a craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Prolatarian

Dont be afraid of going to the gaelthacht.you will get a feel for the place in a day or two.all you have to do is make an effort.I went to Bhaillebhurine in west cork for four summers in a row.best craic i had till i joind da RDF.Dont be shy of joining in there will be plenty of other first timers there who are just as nervous as you.just try to steer clear of the wasters who dont want to be there,there are always a few.and moast importantly enjoy yourself.id be suprised if moast of you dont go again the year after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Aoibheann.E

hey my friend went to that gaeltacht in cork last summer... tought it was good .. but i was just wonderin would you know of anywhere in donegal 2 go? can't find any websites!!! if you can help at all it would b great..
    did you hear of an chead gluain eile???!! suppose 2 b near the gaeltacht the same as your like gael linn ceapt in bun an leaca...!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

klong wrote: »
    probably going to camus this summer- the prospect of no phone, no books, no magazines terrifies me...i'm being forced to go

bring ur phone - no need for books or mags

donegal the rosses or geweedore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Con - that post is 8 years old lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

1994 Colaiste Ciarain, Corr na mona.

The Bean an Tí didnt speak a word of english, we lived 3 miles from the school. The scangers burnt a blanket with a lynx can as a flame thrower and buried it in the bog.

Good times.

dlofnep wrote: »

yikes - I should check dates of posts....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

bring ur phone - no need for books or mags

donegal the rosses or geweedore
    dlofnep wrote: »
    yikes - I should check dates of posts....

Ha!

A lot of people are using today's snow day to catch up on stuff! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

hey my friend went to that gaeltacht in cork last summer... tought it was good .. but i was just wonderin would you know of anywhere in donegal 2 go? can't find any websites!!! if you can help at all it would b great..
    did you hear of an chead gluain eile???!! suppose 2 b near the gaeltacht the same as your like gael linn ceapt in bun an leaca...!! :)

Try http://www.rnf.ie

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Ha!

A lot of people are using today's snow day to catch up on stuff! :D:D:D

hey im blaming aoibheann :p

Advertisement