Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any info out there on TOOL.

• 27-10-2012 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Hey, first post on this forum. Was/ am a big fan of TOOL but been really out of touch with all things musical over last 3-4 year's. Used read the mags and be well clued in.
    Saw these boys supporting RATM in Dublin many moons ago. Follows them and got all their stuff ( except Salival) etc.Got their last album - the one with the eye pieces-but that's it.
    So any news at all- gigs, releases, general info would be cool.
    Time to give Sober a blast. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

General info is thin on the ground generally, but they are working on a new album which is expected hopefully soon. Ya can always go to toolband.com for the latest news on what their webmaster is up to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

New album being written, but a lot of factors come into play for a tool album nowadays, and it pretty much all centres round maynard. He's got pusifer and his vineyard on the go, with bits and pieces of a perfect circle now and then,and when he's at non tool related stuff the other members do their own thing sticking to the los angeles area.

They're not a band that spend ages in the studio recording, preferring to take time getting the songs ready in rehearsals. so when you hear they're in the studio, you know an album isnt far away.

Maynard doesnt tour during harvest season, so i'd expect the new album will come out just before summer 13, with a quick summer north american tour, possibly followed by a short european leg, or they may push that into spring 2014.

they've broken the record this time though, it'll be 7 years since 10,000 days next year, it was 5 beween that and lateralus and the same for aenima!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Thanks lads, looks like i`ve not actually missed too much TOOL related.
    Have a couple of A Perfect Circle releases.
    Never heard of Pusifer- any good, much like Tool stuff?
    Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they're not really like tool but they are very good

if you've seen underworld, they had a song on the OST

rev 22:20

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Of the Puscifer Stuff I've listened to, this is by far my favourite song

That said, it probably wouldn't be out of place on an APC album :p A lot of the other stuff is fairly different though.

If you like Tool I'd definitely recommend A Perfect Circle.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

TheDocMan wrote: »
    Hey, first post on this forum. Was/ am a big fan of TOOL but been really out of touch with all things musical over last 3-4 year's. Used read the mags and be well clued in.
    Saw these boys supporting RATM in Dublin many moons ago. Follows them and got all their stuff ( except Salival) etc.Got their last album - the one with the eye pieces-but that's it.
    So any news at all- gigs, releases, general info would be cool.
    Time to give Sober a blast. Thanks

dont ever recall RATM & Tool playing a joint gig in Dublin !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

99.9% sure TOOL played support for RATM in Tivoli Theatre on Francis St back in August 93. Yea i`m that old but what a night. There`s some links between De La Rocha and Jones i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

99.9% sure TOOL played support for RATM in Tivoli Theatre on Francis St back in August 93. Yea i`m that old but what a night. There`s some links between De La Rocha and Jones i think.

Tool never played that night. For the life of me i can't remember who the support band were but it wasn't Tool. They were pretty poor whoever they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Was really disappointed with 10,000 days apart from a couple of songs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Think it's a fantastic album myself. Probably the best band I've seen when they were in Dublin, slipknot were great too. Can't wait for either to be back here or the UK.

• Advertisement

As others have said, I don't think they supported ratm in the tivoli. However I think they did play low on the bill at either feile 93 or 94, but I was at neither so cant confirm. It would make sense though as Rollins band played 93 and ratm played 94 both of whom tool were touring with at the time.

There`s some links between De La Rocha and Jones i think.

Tom morello and Adam jones were in a high school band together.
    tom-morello-and-adam-jones-playing-guitar.jpeg

Maynard sings "i got no patience now/time has come to pay" on know your enemy on the first ratm album.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gj777

you can always check fourtheye.net for info on the band too, they sometimes get info that doesnt make it to toolband.com.

also, if any tool fans have some spare cash at the moment:

Link removed. This forum is not for advertising things you are trying to sell.

/end shameless self promo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think I've always loved the fact that TOOL can still disappear to such a large extent - even when in the "public eye" and touring.

Their whole musical approach has been just about that, 100% about the music, you don't really tend to EVER hear stories about internal conflicts, band members suing each other or any affairs/drug abuse etc...I'm sure it goes on, it's just refreshing to see a band who enjoy keeping out of the spotlight so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cheesebiscuit

Tool are on the ticket but it was Whipping Boy who played the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

As others have said, I don't think they supported ratm in the tivoli. However I think they did play low on the bill at either feile 93 or 94, but I was at neither so cant confirm. It would make sense though as Rollins band played 93 and ratm played 94 both of whom tool were touring with at the time.

I don't have the poster but it was Feile 94 they played

07.30.94 - Tipperary, Ireland @ Feile Festival

It's amazing how I know so few of these bands, and that Dustin and Ray D'Arcy are listed as 'Guest DJ's' (shudder...)

69.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Such a strange mix of genres in that line up!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

Would love a new Tool album, and tour sometime in the near future. Seen them play a few times before, and they are amazing. Been listening to them and APC a lot lately. Not much of a Puscifer fan myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

That friday night line up is awesome!! JIm ROse Circus too............

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Hitler Finds Out About The New Tool Album (2014) :D.

• Advertisement

He's not wrong about them going instrumental :D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I hope it's not gonna be a case of diminishing returns, as 10,000 Days was. 4-5 actual tracks amongst a heap of noise art. Which would fine, but then you take into account how long they took between Lateralus and 10,000, I hoped for more.
    As for the instrumental thing, Tool wouldn't be Tool without MJK's lyrics and vocal. They'd just be another, admittedly excellent, instrumental metal band. We've got enough of them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I thought 10, 000 days was excellent, lots of ambient interludes but they were there before in their other albums. Yeah, not as good as the others though, well I listen to it more than most of undertow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it took me a while to grow to 10,000 days but now it has several of my favourite tool songs, 10,000 days itself (including wings for marie), vicarious, rosetta stoned. Right in two I keep forgetting is on 10,000 days, for some reason it really strikes me as a lateralus song.

Don't get me wrong, I like the album and love some of the songs off it. I'm well aware that the albums interludes are something Tool have done since Aenima, and done to excellent effect with Laterlus. But with 10,000 Days, the split between them went from 80/20 to 60/40, at least it felt like that was the case to me. As a listener, I prefer to take albums as a whole and always give it a chance to connect. But I never reach for 10,000 Days like I do Lateralus or Aenima, apart from maybe Vicarious, Jambi, Right In Two, The Pot maybe Intension. I know I go against the grain here, but I'm really not a fan of Wings For Marie *ducks whilst abuse is hurled! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

viadah wrote: »
    General info is thin on the ground generally, but they are working on a new album which is expected hopefully soon. Ya can always go to toolband.com for the latest news on what their webmaster is up to.....

Haha! That always annoyed me about the toolband site. You go to there trying to get the lowdown on album news etc., and the guy's mentioning all these people who were at a bar-b-q at the weekend, and you're wondering who the hell there people are!

With all the 10,000 days talk, anyone ever hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Random video, but it's great:

Haha! That always annoyed me about the toolband site. You go to there trying to get the lowdown on album news etc., and the guy's mentioning all these people who were at a bar-b-q at the weekend, and you're wondering who the hell there people are!

With all the 10,000 days talk, anyone ever hear this?

Nope! Thanks for that! Found this explaining it and afew other album easter eggs too.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18896_10-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-albums.html

I've never put much faith in the whole "line up a few songs to get a hidden message" thing that follows tool around, but they do hide stuff in their songs:

The guy "banging on the door telling you to turn it down" in the last chorus of sober.

Maynard saying "suck my dick" in portugeuse in the middle section of stinkfist

The "stay in school" backwards vocals of intension.

there are also very hard to hear whispers in ticks and leeches on lateralus and no quarter on salival.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I've never put much faith in the whole "line up a few songs to get a hidden message" thing that follows tool around,

Me too. Though in this case there is a huge coincidence of the tracks making up the same exact time. That said, I don't think it adds anything to either track, just sounds different.

Advertisement