Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TMC Costin;

• 20-08-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if any exist or could be bought?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Are you OK? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

w124man wrote: »
    Are you OK? :rolleyes:

I'm grand thanks! Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one if i can.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Been keeping an eye out for the last couple of years - last one I heard of had been scrapped by whoever had it because they didn't realise it was such a rare beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

@ dilbert75 i thought they were made down your part of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Haven't seen any for sale for a long long time.
    There were only 39 of them built down in Wexford and the last one was completed 25 years ago, so I'd say you have your work cut out!

Unusual looking car very Lotus 7 from the front but the rear end is eh, unique.
    TMC-Costin-red-source-carpictures_com_.jpg
    TMC-Costin-1600-1985-07E6I091805646A.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

ya i remember they had a stand at an irish motor show i was interested in buying one until i saw the back end it was so amateur looking

I'd like to get one just to have one really to add to the fleet,:).

There was definitely room for aesthetic improvement alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

There is one in Co Kerry.

Another one in Cork, the Murphys Brewery one.

• Advertisement

Just a google sprung up some interesting reading: http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=835

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

There was one for sale on ebay.ie a year or two ago

There's one for sale on DoneDeal now. If I had the money.... no price listed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4354640

Thanks for that. I'd love that to.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4354640

Thanks for that. I'd love that to.

Hopefully a real car enthusiast gets their hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I too would like one in my fleet.
    I started a thread about the TMC Costin over on Octane about 3 years ago and I think it was the biggest thread there ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Hopefully a real car enthusiast gets their hands on it.

Only a real enthusiast would buy it so I'd say it's safe for a few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ye gods that's one ugly motherfecker of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Ha ha its an acquired taste all right! Only a paddy could take something as beautiful as a lotus 7 and destroy it by grafting on a hard top based on a cab of a massy 35, but id love it all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Curiously, a Massey-Ferguson sunstrip with would actually make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Slevin7

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Just a google sprung up some interesting reading: http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=835

Hi guys I just recently learned about the tmc, and have done a little snooping on the net, and with octane gone now I can read any of that info. Does anyone have anymore info of cars still in existence, car specs, no. Built, etc. was there ever a registry set up. Anything at all as I love to know more of this irish car. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭bigroad

I remember reading about them years ago.They used the ford engine and gearbox .1600cc crossflow 2000 ohc and im nearly sure a cossie engine was tried aswell.They were basically a kit car built to order.Very similar kits can be bought from the uk.A diesel model would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

bigroad wrote: »
    I remember reading about them years ago.They used the ford engine and gearbox .1600cc crossflow 2000 ohc and im nearly sure a cossie engine was tried aswell.They were basically a kit car built to order.Very similar kits can be bought from the uk.A diesel model would be interesting.

They were never a kit car , they were designed by frank costin , a famous and successful race engineer.

I didnt know Frank Costin made all his own parts.Fair play to him so.My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

bigroad wrote: »
    I didnt know Frank Costin made all his own parts.Fair play to him so.My mistake.

He didn't make them but a factory in Wexford did to his spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I was just reading up on the Tmc it used the very nice ford 1600 crossflow engine producing 82bhp and with the cars light construction produces a 150bhp per ton .Would have been great fun to drive.

I saw one yesterday. Interesting machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Slevin7

I saw one yesterday. Interesting machines.

Cool where did you see it. Looking at different pictures on the net, there was a lot of different power bulges in the bonnets. They must have been fitted with quite a few different engines

• Advertisement

Slevin7 wrote: »
    Cool where did you see it. Looking at different pictures on the net, there was a lot of different power bulges in the bonnets. They must have been fitted with quite a few different engines

In Co Kerry, that particular example was based on Vauxhall/Opel running gear I think.

Advertisement