Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tonight was general tidying; long overdue, but the shed is in worse nick now that when i started. i have too small a shed and too many items that take up worktop space, but the main issue was that i lifted some of my planes down (not used in at least six weeks) off a shelf to find several of them with a decent amount of rust on the soles; the shelf they're sitting on is sodden. and i cannot find for the life of me where the water is coming from, there's no sign of it anywhere except in the (MDF) shelf itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

tonight was general tidying; long overdue, but the shed is in worse nick now that when i started. i have too small a shed and too many items that take up worktop space, but the main issue was that i lifted some of my planes down (not used in at least six weeks) off a shelf to find several of them with a decent amount of rust on the soles; the shelf they're sitting on is sodden. and i cannot find for the life of me where the water is coming from, there's no sign of it anywhere except in the (MDF) shelf itself.
    funny enough I've had similar issues with my shed. Few spots were damp when I moved bits of wood and no ideas how.
    Gonna have to camp out next time it's lashing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dathi

condensation forming on the cold cast iron planes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's plenty of other metal out in the shed which would also be suffering the same way, if it was condensation.
    it must be all the rain we've been having - but as to how it's getting to that particular spot is baffling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

there's plenty of other metal out in the shed which would also be suffering the same way, if it was condensation.
    it must be all the rain we've been having - but as to how it's getting to that particular spot is baffling me.

Is the roof insulated?

• Advertisement

no, but i generally don't have a problem with condensation in the shed, kinda surprisingly. it's WBP with felt on it.

Odelay wrote: »
    Is the roof insulated?
    I've a load of insulation board to use up but not enough to do whole shed would the roof be the best place to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Currently working on a new desk, using 18mm birch ply. The top is 2 panels glued together. The bottom panel is inset by 10mm. Its my first project to really use my palm router for rounding corners and i even managed to round over the edges. I still gotta learn how to avoid burn marks, slow speed quick movement?

Im thinking of using liberon medium oak wood dye (water based) to stain it so it fits the room. Any advice on a finishing coat that will stand up to wear?

The Duk wrote: »
    Currently working on a new desk, using 18mm birch ply. The top is 2 panels glued together. The bottom panel is inset by 10mm. Its my first project to really use my palm router for rounding corners and i even managed to round over the edges. I still gotta learn how to avoid burn marks, slow speed quick movement?

Im thinking of using liberon medium oak wood dye (water based) to stain it so it fits the room. Any advice on a finishing coat that will stand up to wear?

Nice job and design for the desk.

I'm a big fan of the liberon range, but beware using it for staining birch ply. The ply itself is the problem in my own experience, as it really doesn't take stains particularly well. It can be great in 80-90% of the surface, then hideously blotchy looking in one part, ruining it overall to my own eyes. You can try a prestain conditioner, but even then, results are pretty unpredictable.

I don't really know how best to proceed. My own thought is to find something other than a dark stain as a way forward. Or try something like a dyed shellac with clear poly topcoats. In any case, plenty of test pieces required and be disciplined in keeping a note of how/what/when so you can repeat the process on the desk when you settle on something you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Slabs levelled and glued. Onto legs next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

IMG_20191207_100426_zpsm3wm5cwe.jpg

Haven't gotten the chance to make anything nice in ages but put this mini workbench for the kids together a few days ago. Used legs from an old kids' school table rescued from a skip, an old solid wood countertop and a Record no 50 vice. Got holdfasts from John in Waterford. Waiting on bench dogs to arrive tomorrow to finish. Will sand it all down and give it a few coats of BLO if I've time during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Haven't gotten the chance to make anything nice in ages but put this mini workbench for the kids together a few days ago. Used legs from an old kids' school table rescued from a skip, an old solid wood countertop and a Record no 50 vice. Got holdfasts from John in Waterford. Waiting on bench dogs to arrive tomorrow to finish. Will sand it all down and give it a few coats of BLO if I've time during the week.

That's really great - love it.

the main issue was that i lifted some of my planes down (not used in at least six weeks) off a shelf to find several of them with a decent amount of rust on the soles; the shelf they're sitting on is sodden.
    trying to figure out how best to store planes; a lot of the options you see would be ruled out by several of my planes (mainly the no. 4s) having the handle mounted right to the back of the sole, so i assume would not be suited to the sort of storage where the heel sits in a lip, while the plane is stored vertically?

497311.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't have that problem with my #4s or #3. Build the heel up around the handle.

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/2017/04/29/tooltris-continued/

IMG_1117b.jpg

IMG_1136a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Avoid the green felt you can see there btw, that was a bad mistake, it soaks in any moisture in the air and holds it against any metal you rest on it. I wound up with more rust on my tools after a week resting on that stuff than they had when I got them, and some of them were older than I was.

trying to figure out how best to store planes; a lot of the options you see would be ruled out by several of my planes (mainly the no. 4s) having the handle mounted right to the back of the sole, so i assume would not be suited to the sort of storage where the heel sits in a lip, while the plane is stored vertically?

Working through the same issue myself at the moment. I'm basically finished assembling the set of planes/spokeshaves etc that I want. At least for now.

Here's what I have to store, except for the transitionals which are a novelty, but won't be kept in the long term:

So I grabbed a few boards and scraps and some clamps just to assemble a rough mockup of a layout, so see what would make sense. All propped on the kitchen countertop so I could drink a lot of tea and do a bit of thinking.

Some descriptions might be helpful. Sorry about the wall of text that follows if it's not 'your thing' fellas.

This is a long enough list, but that's a 3, a pair of 4's, 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/2, 6, 7, 62/LAJ bench planes, 10 and 10 1/2 bench rebate planes, 78 fillister and 79 side rebate planes, 101, 103, 60 1/2, 9 1/2 block planes, Large & Small router planes, Combo and Small Plough planes, small/medium/large shoulder planes, bullnose plane and a 80 cabinet scraper all fitting comfortably inside a 90cm x 90cm internal dimensioned 'carcass', at 30cm depth including an allowance for an 18mm rear panel.

The space below the Combo plane will accommodate the full set of cutters for that. I'll divide the bottom with 3 drawers to take spare blades in one, spokeshaves in another and various spare parts for the planes in the last one. There's some space there if I want it beside the 78, maybe to add a block of scraper cards or whatever, although I'll most likely mount those on a rail packed with magnets for convenience on the inside face of one of the doors.

The vertical planes will sit into divided locations on a till board, pitched at 70 degrees, with the bottoms just resting on a cambered rail. The longer planes all have plenty of mass that at 20 degrees off vertical, they need to be acted upon to move off the board. A bump or vibration won't move them.

Above the vertical planes, there's space for a horizontal shelf, centred and not full width. I won't do anything with it now, but sometime in the future I'd plan to add a Veritas shooting plane, which can be stored there.

Where the router planes and the 7 are now will be inside that carcass dimension I gave earlier. Resting on its side it will easily leave space for some more frequently used small planes to be stowed.

I'll put dividers between the planes in the lower section, with a radiused clearance to make it really easy to pick one and take it out.

goddamn, i need a bigger shed.

youtube just decided to serve this up to me:

youtube just decided to serve this up to me:

big brother is watching you.

Making this for nephews, Is it made out of tongue and groove timber lats? Would It be best to make it out of veneered mdf or panel glued timber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Finished softwood or Baltic birch ply. Needs to be water resistant.

Finally finished the table. Hard going moving the slabs around, around 80kg a piece. Happy enough but plenty of mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

pakman wrote: »
    IMG_20160827_155308_zpsqaqgks8f.jpg
    My attempt at reusing some pallets to spruce up that grey wall you can see which is at the back of my garden.

Can you talk me through what you did here? are the pieces glued? what tools did you have to use?

IMG_20191019_151309-768x576.jpg

Just finished this a little while ago, bit of an experiment and certainly not a great outcome but at least I did something bigger for once.

full article and more photos here

this is amazing well done

Coffee table nearly done.

IMG_20191019_151309-768x576.jpg

Just finished this a little while ago, bit of an experiment and certainly not a great outcome but at least I did something bigger for once.

full article and more photos here

Your blog is great!!

Did you do the metal work youself?

Did you do the metal work youself?

Is that for me? Ya, did em over the weekend. Some day I’d like to be consistent at welding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Been lurking here a while, about time I posted :) Coffee table I built using 20mm PAO walnut sanded to 240 finished with two coats Osmo wood wax.

PDTO9Tw.jpg

cnLRTY3.jpg

KZC25Xz.jpg

YoJkcAc.jpg

PwkQ7lS.jpg

Advertisement