Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UTV internet not connecting - Help!!

• 13-04-2006 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm having a problem getting my router to connect to the internet and I'm hoping somebody more technical than me can come up with some suggestions to fix it. (Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - MODS please move if you wish).

I have UTV broadband and have been happily using it for the past couple of months with no problem, having moved to a new address in Feb. I have been connected through UTV for the past year or so and have generally had a good experience.

A few weeks ago my laptop started to slow down and would sometimes fail to boot at all. Thinking that the registry was probably corrupt, I wiped the hard disk, reinstalled XP and started to reinstall my hardware for my broadband connection. However, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get my internet connection up and running again.

I have a BT wireless router/modem and a BT wireless card for my laptop. The laptop is detecting the card and is detecting the wireless router. The wireless signal strength is consistently excellent. The connection manager is allowing me to put in all the appropriate settings (i.e VCI, VRI etc.) that should enable the router to connect. In addition, the router is detecting a steady DSL signal so the line appears to be working. There are no problems making telephone calls. I have a dual filter with the DSL and phone line going through it, as supplied by UTV.

I can get all the way to the point where the router connection manager says it is "ready to connect" to the internet. I click the button, it says "connecting" and tries to connect several times and then gives up, going back to the screen that says "ready to connect".

I have been on to UTV tech support for a couple of hours at this stage and they have gone through all of the steps and possibilities they can think of, to no avail. I have checked, rechecked, changed my password and my username and still cannot get the bloody thing to connect:mad:

Has anyone got any suggestions? Am I doing something really stupid and just can't see it? I have considered the possibility that something is wrong with the line, but it seems to be detecting the DSL signal and making calls alright. I find it hard to imagine anyway that a fault developed on the line during the 12 hours or so I was offline while I reinstalled XP.

ANY suggestions would be gratefully received. UTV have practically given up on me and I don't have much faith that they know how to resolve the problem:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance;) .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

anyone?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

have you tried utv.support on the newsgroups?

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

any chance of borrowing a wireless router to see it if will connect in your own set up? and similarly any chance of trying your router in another set up to see it it is ok there?

and have you done a complete reset of the router (pinhole at the back) just in case theres a setting in there somewhere upsetting things? firmware update for the router?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried the laptop, wireless card and router in a mate's house last night and all seemed to work perfectly. I am assuming that means the problem is with the line, though it seems a bit strange, considering that the DSL light is lighting up on my router, which would seem to me to mean that there is a DSL signal being detected. Is it possible to have a DSL signal being detected and still have a fault on the line?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Gibs wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried the laptop, wireless card and router in a mate's house last night and all seemed to work perfectly. I am assuming that means the problem is with the line, though it seems a bit strange, considering that the DSL light is lighting up on my router, which would seem to me to mean that there is a DSL signal being detected. Is it possible to have a DSL signal being detected and still have a fault on the line?

Any chance of borrowing your mates router and seeing if it works on your line?

That might clear up if there was a fault on the line. A long time ago UTV did have some password issues - might be worth asking them to issue you with a new one just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

Gibs, are you in Cork?

My UTV broadband has been has been down for the past two weeks.
    From your description, it's most likely the same issue.

I've been in contact with UTV several times - the problem seems to be localised in Cork, but apparently not to a single exchange, and there were more than 20 people affected by last Friday.

The problem is at the exchange, either Eircom has made a configuration change on some equipment and not told UTV, unplugged something by mistake, or some equipment has failed.
    The result of the problem is that data sent from our DSL modems is either not getting through to the UTV servers, or else the responses from the servers are not getting back to us.
    If your router/modem has a "Statistics" page, you should be able to confirm you're not receiving anything....look for details on ATM - transmitted data and received data. The transmitted numbers should be increasing steadily, but the received numbers will be zero if this is the problem.

Unfortunately for us, Eircom manages all of the exchange side of things for UTV, and it sounds like it's pretty hard to get Eircom to do more than the most basic troubleshooting. When UTV ask Eircom to check a fault on a broadband customers line, they just test for DSL sync, so in my case they just told UTV the line should be working.
    When I talked to UTV on Friday, they were gathering all the problem reports together to try and convince Eircom that the problem actually exists, even though the DSL sync is ok. They say the more reports they have, the more pressure they can put on Eircom....so the best thing for you to do is keep bugging UTV.

This problem is possibly related to upgrades that Eircom have been doing for some of their broadband packages recently. A few Eircom broadband customers were reporting problems here last week.

And if by any chance any Eircom people are reading this - please go and run an OAM segment loopback test from where one of the affected lines enters the exchange. This should isolate the problem.

Thanks for the info abcd. No, I'm not in Cork, I'm in the midlands, but if eircom have been doing some upgrades, perhaps it's impacting on other exchanges also. UTV told me today to email them the results of my diagnostic tests to support@u.tv(i.e. a screnshot or similar). This apparently results in getting a ticket number. Then I should call them with this number and they will email eircom, who are apparently legally obliged to respond within 5 days to say they have tested the line. It doesn't sound too hopeful if, as you say, Eircom insist on applying their apparent 'work to rule' approach to problem solving. I'll let you know if there is any progress. At least I know that it may not be an isolated problem specific to my house/last metre.

I can't remember the full details of the diagnostics offhand (this is my home computer I'm talking about) but I think it was reporting that the problem was upstream somewhere. COuldn't connect to the PPPoE OEM (or something??). I pinged the connection and got a response for all 4 tests in the hundreds of milliseconds (apologies for my garbled reporting of this - it's the absolute upper limit of my techie abilities:rolleyes: ).

With regard to Eircom being in charge of the lines as well as the service, I won't rehash old greivances except to say that the final separation can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks also to you Dub45. I already got UTV to change my password a couple of times, just in case, with no success, and although I could be wrong about this, I think the fact that my setup (laptop, wireless card, router, DSL filter, etc.) worked fine in my mate's house means that it's a moot point to test his equipment in my house. The fact is, UTV BB should be available from my house using any reasonable combination of working equipment and now I know that my equipment is working. Cheers for the suggestion though. Now where did I put that number for dial-up.....:rolleyes:

Advertisement