Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th years: Mandatory experiments : Physics, Chemistry, Biology

• 06-04-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

6th years: How many mandatory experiments in physics, chemistry or biology have you actually done in the lab? Or do you guys just read some of them out of the book?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Physics: We do all of them. Did loads in 5th year but only had 4 or 5 left to do in Leaving Cert.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

Did almost all the chemistry ones in school but theres one we cant do cos the eu banned a few chemicals in particular that we needed from being used in the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Did anyone do the radioactivity experiments in physics? Our teacher wouldn't because she was worried about exposure. :rolleyes: I doubt the exposure is anything dangerous if radioactive samples are being supplied to school labs...

The sodium dichromate used in some chemistry experiments has now been banned from school labs, it's used in the Le Chatlier's Principle experiments and to prepare ethanal and ethanoic acid. We'd already done all the practicals though involving sodium dichromate by the time the ban came in.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Did anyone do the radioactivity experiments in physics? Our teacher wouldn't because she was worried about exposure. :rolleyes: I doubt the exposure is anything dangerous if radioactive samples are being supplied to school labs...

That's not mandatory though.. Our teacher used to have the radioactive stuff but there was a fuss kicked up so she had to send it back to the place she bought it from..!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That's not mandatory though.. Our teacher used to have the radioactive stuff but there was a fuss kicked up so she had to send it back to the place she bought it from..!
    Mmm...I know...I still wanna play with GM tubes though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

We've done about half the physics ones, 3 or 4 of the chem ones and 3 or 4 of the biology ones

• Registered Users Posts: 37 arboroia

jumpguy wrote: »

The sodium dichromate used in some chemistry experiments has now been banned from school labs, it's used in the Le Chatlier's Principle experiments and to prepare ethanal and ethanoic acid. We'd already done all the practicals though involving sodium dichromate by the time the ban came in.

We did all of the radioactivity ones, it was funny to watch everybody getting nervous as the teacher took the plutonium sample and held it beside the GM Tube - the way it clicks doesn't help!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Physics: We do all of them. Did loads in 5th year but only had 4 or 5 left to do in Leaving Cert.. :(

ya that was the same for us.. is there any marks going for it??
    We've done about half the physics ones, 3 or 4 of the chem ones and 3 or 4 of the biology ones

WHAT?!?! how come you havent the rest of them done?? you dont really have much time left like with easter holidays and the week before the actual tests there is only about four weeks left!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Sorry kind of missed the 6th year bit, probably should have mentioned I'm a fifth year XD

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

hahahah ok that would explain alot :P

• Advertisement

GV_NRG wrote: »
    ya that was the same for us.. is there any marks going for it??

Nope I don't think so.. I love doing them but don't get why it's mandatory to actually do them an write them up..?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

What's the point in doing a science subject where you learn about experiments and techniques if you can never get a hands on experience of them or observe them being done? :P I think it's a lot easier to learn about an experiment after actually completing it.
    We did all the Biology ones. Twice actually. And for Chemistry we did them all. We did the bomb calorimeter and all the instrumentation ones in the University labs then. Atomic absorption spec and all that. Very useful when you can remember back to physically going doing the experiment. :)

Advertisement