Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Early sexton injury, Murray plays poorly, debutant at 8 gets put under pressure, bungee gets another card, line out malfunctions.

One or a combination of the above and Scotland playing like it’s the second half against England all over again.

Plenty of overconfidence here for a side whose last outing was a complete pasting.

Last time these sides met Ireland won by 24 points.
    Ireland are at home. Scotland are without their best player and talisman at 10.

I think the bookies have it about right, and as I said, I think we will cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Early sexton injury, Murray plays poorly, debutant at 8 gets put under pressure, bungee gets another card, line out malfunctions.

One or a combination of the above and Scotland playing like it’s the second half against England all over again.

Plenty of overconfidence here for a side whose last outing was a complete pasting.

What's the point of having such a miserable outlook?

Scotland have also lost their outhalf who has played a massive part in any win against a tier 1 nation they've played (including being the main player in that second half against England you reference). And their star winger who scored two of the tries in that second half. We also pasted them in the world cup. And they lost to Japan too, as well as winning a single game last six nations.

Sure our team could get completely wiped out by the coronavirus tonight. No point in being positive about a new coach and a different lineup!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm just fascinated as to where the bungee comes into it. And how it gets a yellow card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He cited O'Brien and Leamy as the sort of guys that he played with who had the mean streak that he thinks is lacking. I think he's right to be honest.

Nah, Leamy wasn't a patch on O'Brien. I mean, sure, he was pretty hard, but would be p!ss on a guy cos he couldn't be arsed to walk to the jacks?? I rest my case...

All of that adds up to a 7-1 shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Do you think we will lose?

No, didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Do you think we will lose?

No, didn't think so.

I don’t think scotland will win, but I don’t share the confidence of others. We have a new coach which means a new approach, that can go two ways, it can give a boost and it can mean a new approach that takes time.

Scotland will want redemption and revenge from japan, and when a team is hurt they are dangerous.

We have some serious weaknesses in our team that people don’t tend to acknowledge, if the come to the fore it could be an upset.

What's the point of having such a miserable outlook?

Scotland have also lost their outhalf who has played a massive part in any win against a tier 1 nation they've played (including being the main player in that second half against England you reference). And their star winger who scored two of the tries in that second half. We also pasted them in the world cup. And they lost to Japan too, as well as winning a single game last six nations.

Sure our team could get completely wiped out by the coronavirus tonight. No point in being positive about a new coach and a different lineup!

It’s nothing to do with miserable, as thinking a team will win has nothing to do with being positive, I just look at a game from the point of view of how we could win it, and how we could lose it, and I can see reasons that either could happen.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Nah, Leamy wasn't a patch on O'Brien. I mean, sure, he was pretty hard, but would be p!ss on a guy cos he couldn't be arsed to walk to the jacks?? I rest my case...

Leamy was around before everything got recorded on people’s phones.
    It would surprise you some of the things that happened.

It’s nothing to do with miserable, as thinking a team will win has nothing to do with being positive, I just look at a game from the point of view of how we could win it, and how we could lose it, and I can see reasons that either could happen.

OK.

Nail your colours.

What do you think the result will be.... And don't go into a long line of "ifs"

Personally I fancy us by 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

I don’t think scotland will win, but I don’t share the confidence of others. We have a new coach which means a new approach, that can go two ways, it can give a boost and it can mean a new approach that takes time.

Scotland will want redemption and revenge from japan, and when a team is hurt they are dangerous.

We have some serious weaknesses in our team that people don’t tend to acknowledge, if the come to the fore it could be an upset.

Revenge against us? Their worst enemy in the World Cup was themselves

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

What do you think are our serious weaknesses? Whatever they are, I would wager you could pick far bigger weaknesses in that Scotland side.

Personally think our pack is far superior to theirs, and that should be enough to see us win relatively comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Sexton with the epic skin fade
    https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1875406/

Definitely no grey hairs Johnny

aloooof wrote: »
    What do you think are our serious weaknesses? Whatever they are, I would wager you could pick far bigger weaknesses in that Scotland side.

Personally think our pack is far superior to theirs, and that should be enough to see us win relatively comfortably.

It sure does look like Scotland have bigger weaknesses than we do, their scrum is poor, they have tended to kick way to much, and they don’t get their back 3 into the game, it looks like an easy win for Ireland but things don’t always work out that way.

We have the potential for problems that could be weaknesses, areas of our game that need to go well, new lineout that hasn’t played together ever, I’ve never been impressed with herrings throwing, a 9 who isnt playing consistent, 10 just back from injury and a backup 10 with no 6 nations experience, 12 who tackles illegally, a new coach so maybe a new approach to the game, a debutant in a key position at 8. On the day Scotland might not be able to put enough pressure to make any of these weaknesses turn the game but they have the potential to.

Overall I think Ireland will win, but it’s not going to be plain sailing, or one way traffic. I would say a game Where we won’t win both halves and the result isnt decided For definite until the last 10 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Scotland have wanted redemption for about a decade at this point. It's not doing them much good.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Scotland have wanted redemption for about a decade at this point. It's not doing them much good.

And it's not as if we came out of Japan smelling of roses.

There is a huge demand in that Irish camp to exercise the demons of RWC 2019, and scotland are firmly in the cross hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ireland certainly had weaknesses last year, but Scotland’s pack doesn’t have what it takes to exploit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Sexton with the epic skin fade
    https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1875406/

Definitely no grey hairs Johnny

Looks like a young Andy Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So Ireland coming off a bad world cup is a weakness but its a strength for Scotland.
    That makes perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So Ireland coming off a bad world cup is a weakness but its a strength for Scotland.
    That makes perfect sense.

There's nothing more dangerous than a wounded mosquito...

Look, Scotland might win on Saturday, but that applies to every game ever.

We have better players, and said players are now emerging from Joe's basement of conservatism, squinting in the daylight of Farrell's fast and loose approach, ready to breathe the free air of Catt's attacking abandon.

It's just odd that the same posters who are so sure that it was Joe who derailed us in 2019 are the ones who now can't fathom the possibility that things might be different without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

We have the potential for problems that could be weaknesses, areas of our game that need to go well, new lineout that hasn’t played together ever, I’ve never been impressed with herrings throwing, a 9 who isnt playing consistent, 10 just back from injury and a backup 10 with no 6 nations experience, 12 who tackles illegally, a new coach so maybe a new approach to the game, a debutant in a key position at 8. On the day Scotland might not be able to put enough pressure to make any of these weaknesses turn the game but they have the potential to.

Some valid concerns there. Question on Bundee's tackling technique, is it actually an issue? I know he got carded against Samoa but that was pretty unlucky. Has he been carded or penalised a lot for illegal tackles? I honestly don't know.

Also you forgot to add the lack of impact from the bench covering the backrow. An early injury there and Ireland are down to 14 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Some valid concerns there. Question on Bundee's tackling technique, is it actually an issue? I know he got carded against Samoa but that was pretty unlucky. Has he been carded or penalised a lot for illegal tackles? I honestly don't know.

Also you forgot to add the lack of impact from the bench covering the backrow. An early injury there and Ireland are down to 14 men.

We could end up having to use our entire bench in the first half due to injuries, and then lose some of those to injury too, ending up with us finishing with 10 men on the park. Theres just so much room for failure. Failure. FAILURE!

Or more than likely we'll win reasonably comfortably playing reasonably well without really departing a massive amount from previous years and we'll go around this merry go round all over again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It sure does look like Scotland have bigger weaknesses than we do, their scrum is poor, they have tended to kick way to much, and they don’t get their back 3 into the game, it looks like an easy win for Ireland but things don’t always work out that way.

Overall I think Ireland will win, but it’s not going to be plain sailing, or one way traffic. I would say a game Where we won’t win both halves and the result isnt decided For definite until the last 10 minutes.

Scotland pack is weak IMO. Ireland to dominate up front with more genuine ball carriers meaning teams can no longer target Stander.

Ireland by 20
    Doris to be MOTM.
    Cooney to come on around the 55-60 mark and score
    Adam Hastings to have nightmares all next week about a red scrum cap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

No, other than that card I can recall 1 other card for him in 6 years playing for Connacht.

No it’s not really much of an issue, the lack of intent and split second nature in the World Cup should have been mitigating factors. Bundee just likes to hit hard and nothing wrong with that!

12 who tackles illegally
    No it’s not really much of an issue, the lack of intent and split second nature in the World Cup should have been mitigating factors. Bundee just likes to hit hard and nothing wrong with that!

So he doesn't tackle illegally? That was easy, at least.

aloooof wrote: »
    So he doesn't tackle illegally? That was easy, at least.

I never said that.

I never said that.

What other way are we supposed to interpret "12 who tackles illegally" in a post about our weaknesses vs Scotland?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

12 who tackles illegally

If we're only going to use one example to base an entire opinion on then....

Sexton can't kick
    Murray can't pass
    Cooney can't kick or pass
    Furlong can't scrummage
    Stander can't carry
    VDF can't tackle
    Larmour can't beat a defender

etc.

etc.

etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't underestimate any side, but we should win. Scotland can be brilliant and are tough on their day, but it's rare. I expect us to win by 10.
    It's a good match for Farrell to get his feet wet. Ireland are tough at home and obviously want to rebound from the rwc. It will be interesting to watch our tactics. I wonder how different things will be implemented from the start. I think that we're going to see a similar play list from the last year, but with a little more freedom for the players to play rugby.
    I worry about the line out. It's an area that we need to improve. Herring will be under the microscope and he needs to put in a good performance.
    Can't wait!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement