Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volunteering in an archive

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on this.

I am looking for volunteer work experience in an archive in Dublin. I do not have any experience with working in archives outside of my own personal use of archives for research. I am not having much luck finding anyone who can take me on.

I have contacted the main archives I can think of ie The National Archives, Dublin City Archives and a few others.

Does anyone know of any other places I could contact ?

Thanking you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

To what end?

A lot of these places would require people who are qualified archivists, or at least librarians and they take on students of those courses when they need intern type work.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

I will be applying for the MA in Archives and Record Management in UCD in 2012. The experience would form part of my application.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Cool! I suggest you try smaller places that would be suffering from the recruitment freeze. Each local authority has an archive. EG, I know the one in Swords (Fingal) has only a couple of people working in it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

The most comprehensive listing of Irish archives services is a book called Directory of Irish Archives - 5th edition is out with a couple of months. Might give you ideas about where to contact. There are contact details for a much smaller number of services at www.learnaboutarchives.ie. You could also try somewhere like the National Gallery. They have a volunteer programme in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement