Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's not quite how it works. We live in a country that is increasingly over regulated and it's the inclination of those who have positions of power & influence to try and impose their views. There is social & moral pressure brought to bear on those who prefer to use their own judgements - you'll see and hear them denounced on social & other media and so on.

Whereas we should certainly provide advice but after that let citizens take responsibility for their own actions. E.G. If people are advised not to take a certain road due to snowfall say, well let them decide themselves, but if they get stuck - they should have to extricate themselves by walking out.

Yes I agree with these sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Correct. I've said it before, a Yellow is not a warning of anything and should therefore be scrapped. Orange and Red are all that's required.

I know I have said it before but with Storm Eleanor Mayo had a yellow wind warning and we ended up with an hour worth of severe gusts that ended up with official stations in Knock recording a gust of 155 km/hr and Newport 139 km/hr, this led to large scale power cuts, flooding and felling of a lot of trees.

The gusts hit at the worst time with people heading home from work, but I am sure that at least some people took heed of the warning and headed home a bit earlier. Yes in the West yellow warnings are as good a pointless as we are so used to these events, but as Eleanor proved at least providing a yellow warning made people aware they might incur inclement conditions and take a bit of extra care.

Yellow to me should not be a warning, but just something to make the general public aware of possible difficult conditions they might face but will not be in any danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Met Eireann got it mostly correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Darwin wrote: »
    @syranbruen, would be very interested to see your table of storms updated with this one (whenever you might get a chance of course).

The problem with this one was that there was some false readings recorded at stations including Shannon Airport and Cork Airport at midnight so I can only go off of the current data I have until next month when they update the historical database with April 2019 data. Fortunately, Met Éireann shared Shannon Airport's actual max gust for the event but I do not have the figure for Cork Airport besides the false reading and there might have been other stations that had false readings but unable to find out until next month. Of course next month I'll be posting the maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds for Hannah in comparison with other storms too as usual.

Here's the table anyway regardless of that false reading at Cork Airport (and other possible ones).

5eRMGpi.png

Please no more storms for this year, this table is getting too big :o . Removed Carmen (11 November 2010) from this storm comparison table as whilst it was a fairly windy day especially by 2010 standards, I don't think it really compares with other low pressure systems or storms in terms of the maximum wind gusts.

I added Newport Furnace to the stations list on these tables as requested by a poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Brilliant, thanks so much Syran

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The problem with this one was that there was some false readings recorded at stations including Shannon Airport and Cork Airport at midnight so I can only go off of the current data I have until next month when they update the historical database with April 2019 data. Fortunately, Met Éireann shared Shannon Airport's actual max gust for the event but I do not have the figure for Cork Airport besides the false reading and there might have been other stations that had false readings but unable to find out until next month. Of course next month I'll be posting the maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds for Hannah in comparison with other storms too as usual.

Here's the table anyway regardless of that false reading at Cork Airport (and other possible ones).

What were these false readings? Where were they displayed?

What were these false readings? Where were they displayed?

Cork Airport had a max gust of 63 knots around midnight but this was not reported in MÉ's tweet on the highest gusts for Hannah (nor did it match the metars) as well as Shannon Airport's 66 knots for the same timeframe.

Here's the tweet for reference.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1121999173476388865

Going by this tweet, Roches Point's 119 km/h would be another false reading.

The yesterday's weather page on met.ie reports those "false readings" however.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations/yesterday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Thanks Sryanbruen.

So Galway (Mace Head) had the highest gust. We definitely need a weather station on the Clare coast. Loop head perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Thanks Sryanbruen.

So Galway (Mace Head) had the highest gust. We definitely need a weather station on the Clare coast. Loop head perhaps.

Need more in land, there is a station in all coastal counties in the west already.

• Advertisement

Cork Airport had a max gust of 63 knots around midnight but this was not reported in MÉ's tweet on the highest gusts for Hannah (nor did it match the metars) as well as Shannon Airport's 66 knots for the same timeframe.

Here's the tweet for reference.

Going by this tweet, Roches Point's 119 km/h would be another false reading.

The yesterday's weather page on met.ie reports those "false readings" however.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations/yesterday

Thanks for that. I see the synops still have these gusts too, though the Cork Airport one really does look out of place when viewed alongside the other hourly reports (and the lower mean speed for that hour).

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03955&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2019&mes=04&day=27&hora=06

I would recommend not using metar gusts as a record as these are only the max gust measured in the 10 minutes preceding the time of the report (so only cover 20 minutes of every hour, given that metars are every 30 minutes). The synop gusts cover the whole hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Do some people fail to realise that Co.Clare and Kerry, and these counties only, were on a red warning last night.

Do some people fail to realise that basing the max windspeed on an entire county, on a weather station at the far east of said county, is not entirely reflective?

Do some people fail to realise that over 33,000 were without power last night?

Do some people fail to realise that the weather at their location, is not the weather at some other locations miles away?

Strongest storm here in West Clare since Darwin. Moneypoint (just down the road from me) unofficial station recorded 148km/h. Thats, in my view, very well reflective of the extremely nasty gusts we experienced last night. That's also very well within the red warning criteria.

Met Eireann did not get it wrong, and seeing some of the flying debris last night makes me glad that people heeded the warnings and did not head out, or there could be things alot worse than roof damage or power loss to worry about.

Have you seen when those towers in moneypoint sway in the wind?

They were designed to be slightly flexible, I remember being there when I was younger and an engineer told myself and my father that the tower's or chimney stacks could sway slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A video from Fenit, Kerry last night.

https://youtu.be/QW8Pk0DxDmk

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

A video from Fenit, Kerry last night.

https://youtu.be/QW8Pk0DxDmk

All that salt water on that lovely motor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes the operative word is 'should'! It's not up to the State to hold everyone's hands in case they hurt themselves.

really? \Since when is guidance via sensible warnings holding anyone's hand? yes, warning and advising IS up to the State.

That's not quite how it works. We live in a country that is increasingly over regulated and it's the inclination of those who have positions of power & influence to try and impose their views. There is social & moral pressure brought to bear on those who prefer to use their own judgements - you'll see and hear them denounced on social & other media and so on.

Whereas we should certainly provide advice but after that let citizens take responsibility for their own actions. E.G. If people are advised not to take a certain road due to snowfall say, well let them decide themselves, but if they get stuck - they should have to extricate themselves by walking out.

Clearly you have never heard of social responsibility to all society? One way of weeding out the less able ... your first para is actually a total nonsense based on your individual ideas and not on the common good or the needs of others less able than yourself. May as well in your view scrap all public services etc.

You are free to choose or ignore warnings. No one is holding a gun to your head or threatening you. Most of us prefer to be advised by experts at Met ie and here. Rather than trust n ????

And the idea of leaving anyone stuck in snow! or floods etc. REALlY! And your example contradicts your argument

Clearly you are a fit and phsyically whole person; many of us are not and it is by hearing and heeding warnings that we stay alive.. Literally. and avoid being a drain on resources by ignoring warnings or by there not being warnings? at my advanced age I can bear witness to that!

Bliss.. i woke around 9,30 pm to utter total deep silence! Out here the night peace is total and intense and last night it was utterly.... ah!

Hannah has wrecked my vegetable garden, such was the northerly blast directly off the mighty Atlantic. Just wiped plants out... shows the sheer power of it

So quiet out here now.... going back to sleep!

Hope damage is not bad where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Do some people fail to realise that Co.Clare and Kerry, and these counties only, were on a red warning last night.

Do some people fail to realise that basing the max windspeed on an entire county, on a weather station at the far east of said county, is not entirely reflective?

Do some people fail to realise that over 33,000 were without power last night?

Do some people fail to realise that the weather at their location, is not the weather at some other locations miles away?

Strongest storm here in West Clare since Darwin. Moneypoint (just down the road from me) unofficial station recorded 148km/h. Thats, in my view, very well reflective of the extremely nasty gusts we experienced last night. That's also very well within the red warning criteria.

Met Eireann did not get it wrong, and seeing some of the flying debris last night makes me glad that people heeded the warnings and did not head out, or there could be things alot worse than roof damage or power loss to worry about.

Well said, I am one of those that was in the thick of it when it happened, and believe me, I am happy that my home came out of it unscathed, also that I heeded warnings, and also told my children to make Shure they tidied up outside and battened down their homes, one of them was about to go on a journey that day, I asked her not, and she heeded me, I had let her know she was risking her life, and to think of the people that died because they were out in previous storms,
    It is a time to be very vigilant and help others that may know what is on the way.

How did the two in high places get on? Sorry; terrible at names.. McGillicuddy and on cliffs?

goat2 wrote: »
    Well said, I am one of those that was in the thick of it when it happened, and believe me, I am happy that my home came out of it unscathed, also that I heeded warnings, and also told my children to make Shure they tidied up outside and battened down their homes, one of them was about to go on a journey that day, I asked her not, and she heeded me, I had let her know she was risking her life, and to think of the people that died because they were out in previous storms,
    It is a time to be very vigilant and help others that may know what is on the way.
    Couldnt have put it better myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Have to say it was a dirty night and have to say it definitely warranted the warning issued in the area of Kildare I was working that night, when trees are in leaf it always seems to make things worse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Graces7 wrote: »
    How did the two in high places get on? Sorry; terrible at names.. McGillicuddy and on cliffs?

Hi

SlowBlowin here located 600ft ASL McGillicuddy Reeks, Kerry. It was not too bad, compared to what we have had in the past. We lost a few trees, but I think the mountain behind us protected us when the wind direction changed. The second part of the storm was the most powerful. The next day when I was helping the farmer clear a tree his dog bit me on the arse, that was the only injury :)

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Hi

SlowBlowin here located 600ft ASL McGillicuddy Reeks, Kerry. It was not too bad, compared to what we have had in the past. We lost a few trees, but I think the mountain behind us protected us when the wind direction changed. The second part of the storm was the most powerful. The next day when I was helping the farmer clear a tree his dog bit me on the arse, that was the only injury :)

Thanks! I was concerned as I used to live where you are. I mean nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

that photo looks like two different places . certinaly both photos not taken from the same spot .

John mac wrote: »
    that photo looks like two different places . certinaly both photos not taken from the same spot .

They are different shapes

What height is the anemometer at Moneypoint? Just curious as it seems way out of whack of other readings (e.g. Cliffs of Moher and the two buoys).

To answer your question GL, Kilkenny Weather posted the following over on UKWeatherworld:
    According to this info sheet, the client uses large tower cranes on rails to unload coal from visiting vessels and RPR have installed the anemometer to monitor the wind for these cranes.

So I expect the anemo is mounted high up on the crane and will be considerably higher than a standard met station 10m mast.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6030547,-9.4209905,3a,75y,62.08h,111.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk6lTS6zCcl6HtWQVCcZvRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?shorturl=1

This might be the ultrasonic anemo arrowed ?

Original post in the link below plus photos.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/121376-wind-watch-26th-27th-april-2019/page__st__15

To answer your question GL, Kilkenny Weather posted the following over on UKWeatherworld:

Original post in the link below plus photos.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/121376-wind-watch-26th-27th-april-2019/page__st__15

Thanks Sryan. That's what I was thinking. No way such high speeds could have been measured at a standard anemometer that night, whetever its location. People still want to quote it as valid, though. Sounds more impressive and will no doubt be used as evidence in the climate debate some time down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I spoke too soon about the damage in Kerry from Storm Hannah.

It has become apparent that about 50% of the deciduous trees around the Sneem area are in a very poor state. All the leaves have shrivel, and look burnt, some trees are black. There are lots of people in the area just starting to realise.

Has this been reported ?

What caused this ? All the trees have shrivelled, burnt leaves, some have lost all the leaves, even the larches are effected. I will start another thread and post images, wheres the best place for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What caused this ? All the trees have shrivelled, burnt leaves, some have lost all the leaves, even the larches are effected. I will start another thread and post images, wheres the best place for it ?

The same here in North Kerry Slowblowin . A lot of the young leaves coming out got burnt here and have just shrivelled up. Been checking to see if any new growth but no great signs of any. The Elder seems to be some of the worst affected. Looks like small bats hanging upside down on the branches ! Lucky that the Ashes was just starting to peep out. Birch and Beech also badly affected as was the willow.

I think the combination of wind burnt, the cold and excessive salt spray caused the damage. Our windows needed some cleaning after to get the salty grime off.

Only a few Km's from my house to the coast as the crow flies.

Post your pics here if you like.

Advertisement