Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semple Woods. Donabate

• 30-03-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi. Just looking for opinion on this please.
    We're first time buyers and were getting ready to put a booking deposit down on a 3 bed in a new development in donabate, semple woods, next weekend at the launch.
    Today we found out from newspaper article, that the developers, glenveigh property, have sold 40 houses to a large corporate landlord, Ires Reit.
    There are only 125 houses in the estate so its alot.
    This combined with the 10% that will be sold to the council will mean that 1 of every 3 homes will be rented.
    We ourselves have rented for years but i feel like thats a much bigger average for an estate than would be typical. I know myself from renting that your less committed to a neighbourhood when your stay isn't going to be long term.
    Would this put you off buying there.. Are we mad?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Elessar

Honestly, yes it would put me off.

To be upfront, I lived in Donabate last year and it is a great little town with a lot going for it, close to the sea & beaches, its got amenities like Newbridge demesne, it has the train running through it and close to the airport/swords etc. I loved it. But there is a tonne of residential development going on with very little investment in proper infrastructure to support all these extra people. The trains are full in the morning/evenings with no possibility of more until the mid 2020s, the bus services are not great, the schools are oversubscribed (though they are building more) and traffic is already becoming a nightmare. Even though they are building that bypass road it all still ends at the hearse road/M1 junction and bottlenecks are going to be a huge problem. There's no Garda station or other facilities to support a town growing to its size.

On top of that, Fingal are using Donabate as a dumping ground for social housing. They are already looking for minimum 30% social housing in new developments, going totally against the government stated max of 10%. On top of that as you mentioned large numbers of dwellings get sold off to investment landlords, and many of these will likely be rented back to the council for HAP tenants. This is a recipe for disaster. Large social housing congregations have time and again proved to be disastrous to an area. Plus with so many rented will the area ever get settled? I love Donabate and would absolutely consider buying there (again it's still a great town at the moment) but I would rather wait it out to see what impact all these new social houses have on the area. I hope I am wrong but I don't want to take a chance on buying in an area that could become an anti-social blackspot. Call me whatever you like but if I buy a house for me and my family I want it to be in an area without swathes of anti social behaviour, and preferably, a settled place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We considered this development and the floor plans for the houses look great but we’ve gone sale agreed on a second hand house closer to where we currently are and am so glad after reading that news during the week.

I’m originally from the area and loved growing up there but I’d echo a lot of what was said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I wouldn't do it to be honest OP. There are a couple of people talking about this in the Dublin County North forum also. It makes a massive difference to the feel of a place. Bear in mind that some of the private purchasers may also have bought to let, so the rental figure could be closer to 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GJFT

Thanks everyone. We've decided not to go ahead with purchasing in semple woods. Disappointing but there's too many question marks for us and really don't want to luvr in an estate where every 3rd house is rented.
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I hope you find something else that you love just as much. There are some nice new houses being built at the moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Reports on donabateportrane.net of a lot of others that were interested in the development not going ahead. Can see this estate becoming a real problem area for the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

I live there, and think its a nice town in a great location. But if you are considering buying, search through http://www.donabateportrane.net and heed what local people are saying. There will be a lot of houses built, minimal infrastructure, and it looks like there is going to be a very high proportion of new properties given to the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Brego888

I've been keeping an eye on Semple Woods too as well as other new builds in the area. Will go check it out this weekend at the open day.

Had a read on that Donabate forum and it seems like there is a lot of scaremongering going on both here and there.
    That forum has is a link to the fingal planning page which shows circa 260 properties being built there. So the 40 houses sold to the private landlord represents around 15% of the overall development so not a very high proportion at all.

They look like excellent houses although expensive at €375,000 for 3 beds and €450,000 for 4 beds. Whether this offers good value for money in a pre or post brexit world I don't know. Seems to be more expensive than Beresford but less than Rahillion and Glaslinn. But someone might correct me on that.

The private landlord thing looks like it will become significant in every new development now though. Just heard on the Matt Cooper show this evening that they are snapping up properties in loads of new developments throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Brego888 wrote: »
    Had a read on that Donabate forum and it seems like there is a lot of scaremongering going on both here and there.
    Why do you think it's scaremongering?

You are of course correct to keep an open mind, and not blindly accept possible scaremongering, but I've lived in Donabate for 18 years and I'm happy in my belief that the various local groups are not overstating their case. Donabate is near the airport and ~25 minutes from Connolly station. Its surprising it has remained underdeveloped for so long. But whats in progress now is not a result of good planning.

Elessar's post above is spot on, I won't repeat the points made.

I expect the developers of the next estates to be a little less forthcoming about private landlord deals until they have a few more individual private buyers snared.

• Advertisement

Hard to argue with that either Morini as I do agree that theses private landlord deals will now become the norm. Just think people are very quick to conclude that areas with Hap/social housing/private landlords etc will become another Darndale or Ballymun.

Anyway I've seen the other houses Glenveigh have for sale Rush it looks like a similar development.
    As a Donabate resident how would you compare living in Donabate vs Rush? Donabate seems a lovely area and location but with the overall infrastructure of a small village.

Hard to argue with that either Morini as I do agree that theses private landlord deals will now become the norm. Just think people are very quick to conclude that areas with Hap/social housing/private landlords etc will become another Darndale or Ballymun.

Anyway I've seen the other houses Glenveigh have for sale Rush it looks like a similar development.
    As a Donabate resident how would you compare living in Donabate vs Rush? Donabate seems a lovely area and location but with the overall infrastructure of a small village.

I've lived here for over 20 years and that is the key problem with living here. It's a lovely area with great people and a very strong sense of community at the moment.

But it has always been short-changed when it comes to the necessary bits to sustain it.

For a start, the council was given planning permission by ABP to build the new distributor road as a dual carriageway, but they only built single and its very narrow. It's purpose is to open up land for development. That's all filtering down onto the Hearse Rd and the M1 interchange with no plans to upgrade either. It's already chocoblock in the mornings, so what'll it be like when the more serious development gets going in the next few years? Also the traffic through the Donabate village itself at peaktime is a nightmare. It can take 10 minutes to drive just 1km.

The trains are massively overcrowded and no relief in sight - assuming there will be any - for quite some time to come. One direct return bus service to the city per day and that's it.

Even more worryingly, the county council owns ~ 350acres of land at Ballymastone and plan to build 1200 units thereon. They are not going to public consultation with this, much to the anger and fury of the locals.
    If I am correct, the council agreed with local representative groups a mix of 20% social, 20% affordable and the balance privately owned. However the emergence of housing agencies doing deals before going to market may have no bearing who ends up living there. Development on a similar scale is proposed for sites at Corballis over time.

There's no Garda station, swimming pool, decent supermarket, and all of this in a town that'll match or exceed the likes of Naas, Athlone, or Sligo. Looking at how things are zoned, no provision is being made for anything like these necessary items.

The local elections are around the corner and I understand the current and future situation is very much a hot topic on the doorstep. The locals are angry and annoyed at the infrastructure shortage, and the absolute pounding the village has taken in the last few years from construction traffic and poor management thereof, and the real prospect that situation is not likely to get better any time soon.

I've noticed on the LAP that the Corballis area east of the railway line is zoned as a commercial area. Any idea whats going in there?

I've noticed on the LAP that the Corballis area east of the railway line is zoned as a commercial area. Any idea whats going in there?

Locally, I think the LAP would be eyed with scepticism. The previous one had a lot of local consultation, although almost nothing in was ever delivered (partly due to the crash). The current one appears to be pretty weak.

Town center planning is particularly poor - there is no visible plan for improvements to keep pace with the population increase, and bad decisions in the recent past are restricting any future development potential. From what I see, any commercial zoning at the moment is a box-ticking exercise, there is no hard plan for commercial expansion of the area.

Note for example that the new 'Glaslinn' estate is on land indicated as "Town and District Centre" in the Fingal Development Plan 2017-2023.

Just think people are very quick to conclude that areas with Hap/social housing/private landlords etc will become another Darndale or Ballymun.

Thats a fair point, but people see that Fingal Co Co brought about exactly this situation in Balbriggan much more recently, and fear the same mistakes.

Regarding Donabate Vs Rush - I can't compare. Despite the proximity, there is relatively little interaction between the two possibly due to the lack of a direct road link - Donabate being on a peninsula (even if its not that obvious on a map!) does make it a bit isolated.

I don't want to be all negative, so to finish with some on-topic positives: Newbridge Demesne is a great facility, and its right beside Semple Woods. The train station is within easy walking distance of Semple Woods too, and its likely that when/if the cycleway to Malahide is complete (last I heard was that environmental problems are mostly resolved and planning will be submitted later this year) it will pass very close to Semple Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Newbuild19

Even with the negativity, did anyone descide to put down a deposit?

Newbuild19 wrote: »
    Even with the negativity, did anyone descide to put down a deposit?
    I've heard locally that all houses offered for sale at the launch were taken. Another tranche are supposed to be offered soon but prices are rumoured to be going up by €25k per house.

Again these are rumours and anecdotes but do suggest the development is selling

Yes I bought one. Lovely houses and met a number of other families last week who have also put deposits down.
    Looking forward to meeting and discussing with anyone else who plans to buy.

Yes I bought one. Lovely houses and met a number of other families last week who have also put deposits down.
    Looking forward to meeting and discussing with anyone else who plans to buy.

Warnest Congratulations! When are you moving in?

They've indicated end of May/start of June. There were 30 something houses sold on the first open day last Saturday so not sure how many have gone now.
    I'm in no panic to move so June/July suits me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Newbuild19

Congratulations! Good to see there was so much interest. I bought last weekend too, they advised it would be end of April/start of May but hopefully it’s a bit later than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GJFT

There's a Facebook page for people that have bought homes in semple woods. Its a closed group.. Search Semple Woods Residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Was down for a look at them last week. Have to say, the staff on the day were without doubt the best prepared I've ever seen from an open day viewing. They were incredibly friendly and helpful.

The 5 bedroom house has a very good layout too, rooms are all very spacious and the landing area is great too.

I felt the four bed house on show would be better as a three bed. Two of the bedrooms were tiny, one of them being office size only. I thought the three bed house was laid out better than the four.

cloneslad wrote: »
    Was down for a look at them last week. Have to say, the staff on the day were without doubt the best prepared I've ever seen from an open day viewing. They were incredibly friendly and helpful.

The 5 bedroom house has a very good layout too, rooms are all very spacious and the landing area is great too.

I felt the four bed house on show would be better as a three bed. Two of the bedrooms were tiny, one of them being office size only. I thought the three bed house was laid out better than the four.

Get what you're saying about the bedroom sizes. But we went for the 4 bed for the much bigger kitchen which will work as a 2nd living room space also.

The 5 bed was fantastic but so far out of our price range. Would make you sick walking around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Get what you're saying about the bedroom sizes. But we went for the 4 bed for the much bigger kitchen which will work as a 2nd living room space also.

The 5 bed was fantastic but so far out of our price range. Would make you sick walking around it!

Yeah, the downstairs area makes sense. The second living area is a great thing to have. We use the living area in our kitchen as our main relaxing space, it’s nice and bright and when someone is making dinner you can chat to them.

We only went out as we are nosey, we bought in donabate at the end of 2017, moved into the house in Feb 2018 and my gf wanted to check the show houses for interior ideas. The fact it was kitted out by Ventura was always going to make it look nice and our wallets look sad.

Do you have any idea when you are moving in? They are absolutely flying through the build, seems to be more going up by the day when I’m driving past.

It would appear that the developer has submitted an application to increase the density of the development and my information is he's applying to increase from 99 to 174 units using 5 apartment blocks. The amended application should be online soon if not posted already

There was 258 units planned for this development originally though?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭tomfoolery60

It would appear that the developer has submitted an application to increase the density of the development and my information is he's applying to increase from 99 to 174 units using 5 apartment blocks. The amended application should be online soon if not posted already

Have you a link to an article/source?

I got a poor quality phone photo of the planning notice sent to me.

I expect the application will be online soon enough

• Advertisement

Planning notice

Advertisement