Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

In awe of Mother Nature

B5-F22372-62-E6-4214-896-E-A7447-D467-B35.jpg

5-A312-D9-E-9-B2-D-47-F9-82-A6-355-FBBA601-CF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

100.2 mm of rain for the year here in my area of meath, and its cloudy breezy and misty this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yeah another horrible horrible day in the Emerald Isle. Dull overcast windy wet. It’s never ending and then our laughable spring and joke of a summer to come where we pretend that 16 degrees and cloudy is somehow nice weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yeah another horrible horrible day in the Emerald Isle. Dull overcast windy wet. It’s never ending and then our laughable spring and joke of a summer to come where we pretend that 16 degrees and cloudy is somehow nice weather!

And then we get 2/3 days of sunshine and the drought merchants are out in force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Welcome back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

It's obvious you hate almost every aspect of our climate/weather. I understand that for the most part........ it can be pretty desperate. Alas we can't change it, we can only change our attitude towards it.

Honest question: Have you ever considered moving somewhere else?
    It just doesn't seem to suit you here and couldn't be good for your mental health long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sideswipe wrote: »
    It's obvious you hate almost every aspect of our climate/weather. I understand that for the most part........ it can be pretty desperate. Alas we can't change it, we can only change our attitude towards it.

It just doesn't seem to suit you here and couldn't be good for your mental health long term.

I am similar to Clonmel with attitudes to weather. I just like to moan about it because it's so bloody disappointing, all the time. My family and friends are here and a good standard of living, but if you love the sun and warmth, and have lived in warm countries, it's hard not to be disappointed, constantly, in Ireland.
    The weather is fine here most of the time, winter was a piece of p*ss here this year, although it isn't over yet. It's summer that kills me. Every bloody year it's terrible, it's the hope that kills me. Even in the great summer in 2018, come the end of July it went back to normal for August and Sept.
    Warm today though for Feb, and have clothes on the line, so could be worse!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

To be fair the past 6 to 7 months have been brutal with no let up of the Atlantic conditions, it's been groundhog day more or less most days since September 20th bar a few exceptions. This has to be one of the most prolonged zonal patterns we have had in a long time without interruption. We know the weather here isn't always like that as 2018 was a shining example of varied and more seasonal weather.

Unfortunately the form horse for this country is the relentless Atlantic onslaught of cloud, mist, cool/mild temperatures, wind and rain. It can genuinely make people feel fed up as they spend the majority of time indoors. Heading outside for a one hour walk every day can do wonders for all of us, but it's not always that easy to find a spare hour per day to do this, especially if you work in the city and when you do get the time, it's usually raining!

Flying to warmer climates or a break in very warm or hot temperatures is also very good to do, I really think everyone needs a break from the Atlantic muck at least a few weeks per year (2 weeks abroad plus a few weeks break from it here in Ireland if we are lucky).

Ireland is a great country, sadly our weather is not that inviting, but when we do get a week of warm and sunny conditions across the country in the summer, it transforms our country into something even more spectacular and lifts everyone's spirits!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    And then we get 2/3 days of sunshine and the drought merchants are out in force

Roll on a cool, wet summer! :p

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

From MT's daily forecast, suggesting mild weather to the end of February, it would appear that any chance of a winter has gone for Dublin this year, unless it arrives in March!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

From MT's daily forecast, suggesting mild weather to the end of February, it would appear that any chance of a winter has gone for Dublin this year, unless it arrives in March!

The trend is for a very mild March with mild south-westerlies dominating. I think most of us have lost interest in winter some time ago. Hopefully better luck next year.

This winter will finish milder than average, but maybe not as excessively mild as last winter, however this winter has been completely absent of any proper cold weather, northerly's, toppler's, easterly's, ice days, freezing fog. No lying snow for the second winter in a row for many of us other than a transitional dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »

Flying to warmer climates or a break in very warm or hot temperatures is also very good to do, I really think everyone needs a break from the Atlantic muck at least a few weeks per year (2 weeks abroad plus a few weeks break from it here in Ireland if we are lucky).
    !

Yes Gonzo, very important for people who get depressed by the Irish climate to get away to sunnier climates for a week or two in summer.

And for the cold/snow lovers try to get even a long weekend in a much colder climate during the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think I read somewhere that it was the mildest January on record? I don’t know if that bodes well for cold in future. I’m far from an expert hope I’m wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Winter and summer I spend as much time as I can gone somewhere nice. Looking forward to retirement!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Atlantic muck or not,this is day 5 of snow on the hills west of Arklow
    You could actually ski or taboggan down the drifts in the fields no problem

I think I read somewhere that it was the mildest January on record? I don’t know if that bodes well for cold in future. I’m far from an expert hope I’m wrong!

Yes, and 20c hottest ever temp recorded in the Antarctic the other day. We're f*cked.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Atlantic muck or not,this is day 5 of snow on the hills west of Arklow
    You could actually ski or taboggan down the drifts in the fields no problem

Arklow, the land of blazing hot summers and winter sports, according to Mortelaro!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Arklow, the land of blazing hot summers and winter sports, according to Mortelaro!

Wicklow actually did quite well out of it to be fair.
    I was in Wicklow this week doing personal stuff.
    Each morning I had to scrape snow from the ground avarage was about 2 cm all bar yesterday morning.
    Even the lower hills had snow on them yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yes, and 20c hottest ever temp recorded in the Antarctic the other day. We're f*cked.

But it is also the hight of summer for Antarctica southern hemisphere summer,still a unbelievable temperature, but should be used with caution comparing to our winter northern hemisphere winter months

parts of Ireland struggled to even reach 20C last summer with low twenties the best for most of us. Hopefully we will get a shot of hot air this summer, we were the only country in western Europe to miss out on the heat last summer. Even the Scottish highlands got to the high twenties last summer on a few occassions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Roll on a cool, wet summer! :p

I always find April/May is the most enjoyable time of year, lengthening days, the first real signs of warmth, everything coming back to life and there's still that naive hope that summer won't be a depressing grey washout :p

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

I always find April/May is the most enjoyable time of year, lengthening days, the first real signs of warmth, everything coming back to life and there's still that naive hope that summer won't be a depressing grey washout :p

15-17 degrees, dry is what i hope for.
    When you go to a summer county festival that you can sit on your arse on the grass without getting wet.
    Without running like a herd to a tent waiting for the nest shower to pass.
    Just a jumper as a pillow lying down resting from the kids saying I wanna, I wanna. ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Gonzo wrote: »
    for some places most definitely. The only places that have really seen proper snow this winter have been in the south-east of Europe and Turkey. Norway has seen a good bit of snow but most of that is high ground.
    I wonder if they are the opposite. "Lovely no cold winter this year".
    Whereas we Irish just dream of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have really enjoyed the mild weather this winter. I hate snow so no interest in it.

It means that you can comfortable be out in park for hours without been too cold. Disappointed though that last few weekends have been a write off with windy stormy wet weather so not enjoyable.

While the temperatures in Antarctica are very worrying it is a huge place + the warmest temperature was recorded at the most northern tip of arctic+ not the whole continent. Seymour island is right beside south America so not in heart of Antarctica

It is also he height of their summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looking at the AO forecasts and it looks as if we could be seeing another wave of very high values towards the end of next week if the models are onto something:

EU5Nxiq.png

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Incredibly, despite all the rain,snow drifts in ditches on high ground west of Arklow are still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Biblical in Cork city

Well finally managed to get out to park this morning.

It was very windy in malahide playground especially in areas on higher ground.

It was great to get out + good excuse to treat ourselves to tea + cake afterwards!

In last 15min its started lashing but all wrapped up at home now so nice to look out at it. How much more rain+ wind can we take! Honestly never remember a time when so much wind + rain constantly for what seems like weeks on end, its mad.

• Advertisement

Torrinetial hailstones here + thunder at the moment.

Advertisement