Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Dennis ** Please read Mod Note in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ardinn wrote: »
    Tis bloody windy here in carlow - I thought this didnt kick in tlll tomorrow!

Today isn't Dennis. It's a completely separate system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

ardinn wrote: »
    Tis bloody windy here in carlow - I thought this didnt kick in tlll tomorrow!

Denis is marked on attachment. Not affect us yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

What a fascinating mess the Atlantic is right now. Unprecedented to have so many deep Low Pressure systems at one time.
    On this mornings output ECM showing higher gusts than GFS all weekend.
    ECM has been trending to overcook these storms recently so will be interesting to see if the GFS is more accurate again. Met Eireann should come out with warnings later. Heavy rain and flooding may be more of an issue with Storm Dennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

It looks similar to last weekend so I'd expect

Orange Warning for Atlantic at least

Yellow warning rainfall 20mm to 40mm

Maybe 50 to 60mm in some location

Wev had 82mm since last Friday and rivers in rural Sligo are burst

Urban one near the top of wall at high tides

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This month so far must rank as one of the lowest average pressures over the Atlantic basin. I'd like to see the anomaly up to now.

As of 11th February:

WvcoUka.jpg

Credit: NCEP/NCAR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I wonder will the sand on Banna Beach be returned to us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Savage gust just now in Sligo. Really strong. All doors here flew open which rarely happens.

Sligo is saturated already...if we've much more rain I dont know where it will go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

What a fascinating mess the Atlantic is right now. Unprecedented to have so many deep Low Pressure systems at one time.
    On this mornings output ECM showing higher gusts than GFS all weekend.
    ECM has been trending to overcook these storms recently so will be interesting to see if the GFS is more accurate again. Met Eireann should come out with warnings later. Heavy rain and flooding may be more of an issue with Storm Dennis.

One theory I've been following is that an increase in charged particles entering our atmosphere will lead to lower lows and higher highs caused by increased current flows in the global electric circuit. The increase being attributed to a weakening of the earths own magnetic field thus allowing in more charged particles from the sun and cosmic radiation from further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

One theory I've been following is that an increase in charged particles entering our atmosphere will lead to lower lows and higher highs caused by increased current flows in the global electric circuit. The increase being attributed to a weakening of the earths own magnetic field thus allowing in more charged particles from the sun and cosmic radiation from further afield.

Was thinking that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Very squally Southerly winds veering Southwesterly with mean speeds 50 to 65 km/hr gusts to around 100 km/hr, strongest on exposed coasts and hills. Winds moderating from the Northwest later.

Valid: 03:00 Saturday 15/02/2020 to 20:00 Saturday 15/02/2020

Issued: 11:00 Friday 14/02/2020
    ———————————————————————

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Ireland

Spells of heavy, locally thundery rain, on Saturday will lead to some flooding.

Valid: 06:00 Saturday 15/02/2020 to 21:00 Saturday 15/02/2020

Issued: 11:00 Friday 14/02/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

All this hype with named storms has caused the connacht schools cross country races scheduled for Saturday in Loughrea to be cancelled. If you ask me it is very early to be calling this.

Rain and flooding maybe more of a factor than the wind in that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭endainoz

Flooding will have to be a factor. Ground is saturated already. Rivers still quite high, trees coming down will surely be an issue also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I wonder will the sand on Banna Beach be returned to us!!

Is the sand gone?

Love surfing there now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

endainoz wrote: »
    Flooding will have to be a factor. Ground is saturated already. Rivers still quite high, trees coming down will surely be an issue also.

Heading towards Dunmore East last night and field near Jaybees had quite a bit of water in it. Noticed the last few days when it does rain it pools a lot more and it's taking longer for the water to drain. Anyone on flood plains would want to think about putting up some defenses if due another deluge.

Remembering the flooding from storm frank near here

23979234012_d6f7516068.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

RobertKK wrote: »

What wind speeds are they predicting for iceland at its peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Dublin GAA have cancelled all matches this weekend. Both adult and juvenile. I am surprised they have taken this step

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

D9Male wrote: »
    Dublin GAA have cancelled all matches this weekend. Both adult and juvenile. I am surprised they have taken this step

Protecting the pitches?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

D9Male wrote: »

Dublin ladies GAA have not cancelled thought :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I wonder what's the chances the record on last week's storm can be broken?
    Experts are hailing a British Airways flight as the fastest subsonic New York to London journey.

The Boeing 747-436 reached speeds of 825 mph (1,327 km/h) as it rode a jet stream accelerated by Storm Ciara.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-51433720

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

gozunda wrote: »

Must be slow enough going from London to NY :o

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

gozunda wrote: »

Just realised that's faster than the speed of sound, so would've had some sonic booms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

nthclare wrote: »
    Is the sand gone?

Love surfing there now and again

Ciara stole it.
    Same happened in achill a few years ago. Another storm came and put it back

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

antodeco wrote: »
    Just realised that's faster than the speed of sound, so would've had some sonic booms!

No sonic booms because it didn't break the sound "barrier ". The planes ground speed was above mach 1 but it's airspeed was well below mach 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Dont think a 747 can go through the sound barrier. I think because the wind speed was so fast, it kind of carried the plane to that speed. Could be completely wrong mind you :)

What Mr Nutty said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Ground speed ≠ air speed

The air the plane was flying in was moving at a few hundred km/h, so relative to that the plane was subsonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Technically yes, but actually not. The speed of sound is relative. You're only going faster than sound if you're going 1,200km/h faster than the air around you. This aircraft was travelling about 900km/h faster than the air around it, but 1,327km/h faster than the ground below it.

While it's believed that modern aircraft could be pushed past the speed of sound, there are concerns about airframe fatigue if they were flown routinely like this, so they don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Think of the Jet Stream like one of these in an airport... when you walk on one of these at the airport you're still walking at your normal pace, but over ground you're moving twice the speed........

502876.jpg

It has been fascinating seeing the momentum of the Jet over the last few weeks.!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Storm Dennis will bring wet and very windy weather this weekend and into Monday. There is a risk of flooding and damaging gusts.

Warnings for Saturday 15th February have been issued.

Further warnings for Sunday 16th February will be issued on the morning of Saturday 15th February.

Valid: 02:00 Saturday 15/02/2020 to 12:00 Monday 17/02/2020

Issued: 15:00 Friday 14/02/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Supposed to be going to RDS to Leinster match. Not looking forward to it if the forecast is anything to go by...

Advertisement