Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

The national outlook this evening is brutal. Poor grammar, typos, missing words etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Comhrá

MidMan25 wrote: »
    The national outlook this evening is brutal. Poor grammar, typos, missing words etc.

Room for improvement alright.

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/national-forecast
    A low pressure system continues to be close by off the northwest coast with overnight showery rain in the east and north clearing northwards and scattered showers elsewhere and some showers could be heavy, especially in the west and northwest. Top tempertures will still be below average and around 13 to 16 degrees in light to moderate west to southwesterly breezes.

Sunday will see the low pressure system tracking towards Ireland brining scattered showers with it. Over the west and north showers are likely to be more frequent and heavy with the risk of thundery downpours. Top tempertures will edge a degree higher and reach 14 to 17 degrees in light to moderate southerly winds, but fresh near coasts and in and around showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yet another total contradiction between words and pictures tonight (probably to see repeated at 9.25)
    Friday to be a washout - but 5 day graphic shows sun! Does anyone pay a blind bit of attention to their own work in that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭lolie

Yet another total contradiction between words and pictures tonight (probably to see repeated at 9.25)
    Friday to be a washout - but 5 day graphic shows sun! Does anyone pay a blind bit of attention to their own work in that place?

Noticed that also and thought wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

lolie wrote: »
    Noticed that also and thought wtf.

That is happening all the time I have seen say heavy rain for the West and at the end the pictures show sun and clouds even the other half is seeing this as well now , it's baffling me how that can do this, I will look again at it on RTE + 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster and Leinster

Heavy Rain will spread from the south Thursday evening and night. Accumulations of 25 to 40mm will occur over a relatively short time period. Spot flooding is likely.

Valid: Thursday 08 August 2019 19:00 to Friday 09 August 2019 07:00

i wonder how many times will they shift about the warning areas,surprised they didnt start their thundery mantra.
    which goes as follows

thunderstorms with hail and lightning
    difficult driving conditions,reduced visibility
    heavy thundery downpours
    thundery showers
    the odd thundery burst
    the odd rumble of thunder
    a slight risk of thunder
    untill finally nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What happened to the 07:55 Radio1 forecast today?
    It never appeared, even after the 08.00 news. Presenter kept going to ad promos to cover up the difficulties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Comhrá

zell12 wrote: »
    What happened to the 07:55 Radio1 forecast today?
    It never appeared, even after the 08.00 news. Presenter kept going to ad promos to cover up the difficulties

Yeah, I heard that. Awkward few moments. I'm guessing there was some sort of comms issue between Glasnevin (ME headquarters) and RTE. It's not the first time that link has failed.

Indeed Met and RTE are both cash strapped when it comes to reliable infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Very vague forecast from Gerry Eagleton(i think) on the radio just there now,doesn't go in to much detail after tomorrow for the rest of the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Jean Byrne has just said on the radio that we'll get the remnants of TS Danielle tonight and tomorrow. Eh, it's Gabrielle!

Anyone see the lunchtime forecast?

The oddest graphic for the 7 day rainfall prediction, which showed most of the country as 7C but then isolated sections of the south coast for 8 and above. Looked like the end result of slavishly transcribing predictive data.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Anyone see the lunchtime forecast?

The oddest graphic for the 7 day rainfall prediction, which showed most of the country as 7C but then isolated sections of the south coast for 8 and above. Looked like the end result of slavishly transcribing predictive data.
    Why would you not expect it to be warmer along the south coast? Sounds reasonable to me.

isolated is the key word. ie Two warm areas on the coast separated by a cooler area of about 70 KM.

See attachment for idea of what they showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

zell12 wrote: »

I think she's referring to the sharing of the fake red alert graphic from Facebook page 'Weather Alerts Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

typhoony wrote: »
    I think she's referring to the sharing of the fake red alert graphic from Facebook page 'Weather Alerts Ireland'.

Ireland's weather channel,that is who issued it originally ,they had red warnings on maps 2 days ago.
    You would not believe some of the posts against met eireann,pure abuse they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

If ever there was anything to suggest the current by county weather warning system was a bit silly its todays Yellow weather advisory for cold weather/frost

Funny how all of Offaly including the "peninsula" into Tipperary is covered, but the whole county of Tipperary is excluded. Weather does follow borders after all according to Met Eireann..

500287.png

500288.png

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Kamili wrote: »
    If ever there was anything to suggest the current by county weather warning system was a bit silly its todays Yellow weather advisory for cold weather/frost

Funny how all of Offaly including the "peninsula" into Tipperary is covered, but the whole county of Tipperary is excluded. Weather does follow borders after all according to Met Eireann..

500287.png

500288.png

Get your point but I think that's Tipp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

sumtings wrote: »
    Get your point but I think that's Tipp!

:) Too slow!

It is Tipp ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Would met eireann website or rte weather forecast be more accurate? Rte1 weather is often different but would have thought it would be based on met eireann

seefin wrote: »
    Would met eireann website or rte weather forecast be more accurate? Rte1 weather is often different but would have thought it would be based on met eireann
    They are the exact same.

• Another example of the peculiarity of using a warning system based on county boundaries (current snow/ice yellow warning in effect). I'm pretty sure Meath will get some frost too.

502694.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How many push notifications must I get when they issue warnings?

They keep coming too, just got another one saying "yellow wind warning issued at 13:30"

Doesn't exist.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How many push notifications must I get when they issue warnings?

They keep coming too, just got another one saying "yellow wind warning issued at 13:30"

Doesn't exist.

I thought it was just my phone glitching or something, it's been constant. And annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kamili wrote: »
    I thought it was just my phone glitching or something, it's been constant. And annoying

Yup, just got another one saying yellow warning issued at 3pm. Already got that one earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Yup, just got another one saying yellow warning issued at 3pm. Already got that one earlier.

I think they extended the timespan of an earlier warning well into tomorrow

• Advertisement

Yep, I got it too.

Advertisement