Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

je551e wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but is Amber warning in UK the equivalent of orange here? I don’t mean in colour I mean criteria TIA

Yes, same thing as our orange warning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

km79 wrote: »
    Status orange effective for western counties in just over an hour.

And are only in effect for today (quote/copy and paste from ME) 'in advance of the arrival of Storm Ciara on Sunday'.

Today is not Storm Ciara.

There will be new/updated warnings for tomorrow.

This chat thread is in relation to Storm Ciara.
    ....and therefore need another seperate thread....

Don't be a smarta**e.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Status orange effective for western counties in just over an hour
    Or are you telling me the hours of wind and rain under these warnings are a seperate even and therefore need another seperate thread .........

It has already worsened greatly out here. Never before has it been so hard to light the solid fuel stove; wind kept blowing down the chimney and blowing the firelighters etc out. Took a serving of cooking oil to sort it. ;)

Very stormy now. No ocean or mountains or houses, Just dark clouds and solid water sideways on. West mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

DOCARCH wrote: »
    And are only in effect for today (quote/copy and paste from ME) 'in advance of the arrival of Storm Ciara on Sunday'.

Today is not Storm Ciara.

There will be new/updated warnings for tomorrow.

This chat thread is in relation to Storm Ciara.

Don't be a smarta**e.

The other thread is also titled storm Ciara
    Technical thread
    And all it is is chat about current weather conditions?

My point was
    Either leave the other thread (the main one ) as the chat thread and open a second thread for technical discussion/charts only
    Or
    Just leave it all in one

Today is going to be severe in the west . Right up until the clocks turn midnight and Ciara arrives ......there will be plenty of people posting about it as there are now
    Sounds like we needs a separate thread for it so

Every orange event has gotten one so ......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Galway culture 2020 cancelled

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »

What caused the cancellation? Storm Ciara won’t impact until tomorrow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

I was out for an early walk before hitting the poll this morning and it was lovely. The sun was scattering through the clouds at times but you could feel how fresh the breeze was starting to pick up.
    There was a few light wintery showers too.

The wild life and birds were out frantically foraging. It's interesting to see them prepare.

pad199207 wrote: »

That’s a real shame. So much work went into it. But they had no other choice really.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It looks like we're going to be tormented with stormy weather over the next 10 days or so. Ciara this weekend we may have Dennis next Thursday and Friday and probably Ellen over next weekend according to the gfs charts on netweather.tv and these storms may be more severe than Ciara. And with very cold air in play there is a high prospect of snowfall.

A day to go to the cinema and watch The Lighthouse.

endainoz wrote: »
    There's always one, or in the case of a weather event ten.

I am a regular contributor to the forum
    I am frustrated as the “technical” thread is clogged up already with rubbish despite a mod warning 3 hours ago saying there was a seperate chat thread

My point was the other thread was already in full chat flow so should have been left as such and a new technical thread set up

Also docarch imo was the one nit picking my post

If today is nothing to do with storm Ciara then why are all current observations etc on other thread being allowed ?
    Shouldn’t there be another thread for today’s orange warning ?
    Or is it just the case that I was suggesting that’s it’s all one big event

That’s my final post. Won’t bother updating on the weather from South Mayo today. I’ll wait till midnight when it’s ok to post

• Advertisement

LRNM wrote: »

The wild life and birds were out frantically foraging. It's interesting to see them prepare.

Where do the little birds shelter during a storm I wonder. Would be worried about them if we do get a few days of sustained wind followed by snow. They would hide out from the storm and find no food when they come out.

Regarding the split threads I feel more comfortable posting on a thread like this, some of the weather junkies can be very cranky. When they're left in a thread by themselves just watch, they will eventually turn on each other.

If you look at met,ie warnings? The coastal counties are moving into Orange warnings.. gusts over 100 kph etc . I am West Mayo and it is dire out here now

Not the weather for any outdoor events.

Where do the little birds shelter during a storm I wonder. Would be worried about them if we do get a few days of sustained wind followed by snow. They would hide out from the storm and find no food when they come out.

Regarding the split threads I feel more comfortable posting on a thread like this, some of the weather junkies can be very cranky. When they're left in a thread by themselves just watch, they will eventually turn on each other.

That happens more on the chat threads, seeing what happened on Lorenzo and Brendan, before they got round to cleaning it up .

WOW.. Such shrieking gusts now.. not nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Graces7 wrote: »
    WOW.. Such shrieking gusts now.. not nice!
    Stay safe Graces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Met issued ORANGE wind warning for entire country - take your trampolines in folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal and Mayo

In advance of the arrival of Storm Ciara on Sunday, south to southwest winds on Saturday will reach mean speeds of 65-80km/h with gusts of up to 120 km/h.
      Valid: 12:00 Saturday 08/02/2020 to 16:00 Saturday 08/02/2020
      Issued: 15:00 Friday 07/02/2020

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway

In advance of the arrival of Storm Ciara on Sunday, south to southwest winds on Saturday will reach mean speeds of 65-80km/h with gusts of up to 120 km/h.
      Valid: 13:00 Saturday 08/02/2020 to 18:00 Saturday 08/02/2020
      Issued: 14:00 Friday 07/02/2020

Status Orange - Wind warning for Ireland

On Sunday, Storm Ciara will produce very strong southwest winds with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts generally up to 130km/h.

A combination of Spring Tides and high seas as well as stormy conditions will result in a significant risk of coastal flooding especially along western and northwestern coasts.
      Valid: 05:00 Sunday 09/02/2020 to 12:00 Sunday 09/02/2020
      Issued: 11:00 Thursday 06/02/2020
      Updated: 11:00 Saturday 08/02/2020

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Ireland

Saturday, 8th Feb: A spell of heavy rain will spread eastwards across the country on Saturday with 20-40mm expected, highest in the west and northwest.

Sunday, 9th Feb: Another spell of heavy rain on Sunday will clear to squally wintry showers. Another 20-40mm likely.

A risk of localised flooding this weekend, especially over the western half of the country.
      Valid: 12:00 Saturday 08/02/2020 to 15:00 Sunday 09/02/2020
      Issued: 11:00 Thursday 06/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Really blustery in South Dublin now! Has been like this all night, the wind woke me up this morning and it’s still going

Nice lovely light white skies though, sun peaking through, looking out my window it seems everyone is driving a lot slower out of my estate then usual :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sunny and windy.....great for getting the clothes dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Galway on an orange warning today until 6pm, it's being heald in a very coastal area of the city called 'the swamp', high winds, high seas, heavy rain, go figure.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Galway on an orange warning today until 6pm, it's being heald in a very coastal area of the city called 'the swamp', high winds, high seas, heavy rain, go figure.

Oh I I know that :D
    Never mind I was being sarcastic and cranky

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh I I know that :D
    Never mind I was being sarcastic and cranky

Ah!

Would have helped if I read your username too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I wonder will the county councils be gritting the roads so we can all get to and from work safely.

Better to be prepared for the snow or hail etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grit? No need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Is snow expected on low ground? It’s crazy windy here. Lights flickering for last few hours
    Very heavy rain right now.
    West Connemara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Grit? No need for that.

Actually I agree, lets just stay at home put down a good fire and chill out.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

nthclare wrote: »
    I wonder will the county councils be gritting the roads so we can all get to and from work safely.

Better to be prepared for the snow or hail etc

No, any wintry precipitation will be infrequent and on high ground, no point whatsoever gritting widely in driving rain and storm force winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

They are small an can get down into hedges and objects that block the wind because they are small there are many such sheltered places.

https://now.tufts.edu/articles/how-do-birds-survive-storms-and-other-harsh-weather

Stay safe Graces!

Thanks. It just went into Red Alert warning out here so no way going outside; safe as.. houses... could not open the door anyways.

Not sure if I have ever sat through a Red Alert out here! Sounds like thunder and deluges against the place.

Rescued one of the cats from sheer terrified hiding in the shed. another is still out there but will be with the feral

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    Actually I agree, lets just stay at home put down a good fire and chill out.

:)

Perfect! lol...Had to stop knitting as every time there is a great loud gust, my hands drop a stitch

Advertisement