Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is an Indexed Search in the Control Panel of Windows?

• 18-08-2013 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I thought I had deleted a lot of stuff of an old laptop but when I stumbled into Control Panel - Searches - Indexed Searches, I saw loads and loads of stuff like downloaded songs etc.

It seems as though I cannot do a ' clear list ' apart from right-click and deleting them 1 by 1 but that would takes hours if not longer.

Anyone know what 'indexed searches' is and any way of deleting it's contents rapidly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

To speed up search Windows creates a file index. Without the index, file search will take significantly longer. (but even with the index, Windows Search is no match for Voidtools' Everything)

How To Clear Windows 7 Search Index Easily

If you don't need indexed search, you might disable it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Torqay wrote: »
    To speed up search Windows creates a file index. Without the index, file search will take significantly longer. (but even with the index, Windows Search is no match for Voidtools' Everything)

How To Clear Windows 7 Search Index Easily

If you don't need indexed search, you might disable it altogether.

I will look at this thanks.

I just had an alternative idea though, maybe you could tell me what you think.

I'm selling the laptop and I only have 1 account (mine and it's an administrator account).

Could I 'create a new account - make the new account the administrator account' and then delete my account?

Why don't you just restore the laptop to factory default?

Then install and run Ccleaner (select the option "Wipe free space") just to be sure to be sure.

Why don't you just restore the laptop to factory default?

Then install and run Ccleaner (select the option "Wipe free space") just to be sure to be sure.

Would you mind awfully talking me through a factory restore, I wouldn't know where to start.

I'll have a look a Ccleaner - is the Free version sufficient? I don't fancy paying $19.99 for the professional version.

Would you mind awfully talking me through a factory restore, I wouldn't know where to start.

Laptop make/model?

I'll have a look a Ccleaner - is the Free version sufficient? I don't fancy paying $19.99 for the professional version.

Free version is just fine... look in the Builds section for the Slim version, it comes without adware. Or use the portable version from a USB stick (run as Administrator)

• Advertisement

Laptop make/model?

Free version is just fine... look in the Builds section for the Slim version, it comes without adware. Or use the portable version from a USB stick (run as Administrator)

Thanks for helping me.

Advent Roma 2000 - Black Gloss laptop.

Advent??? Ouch... ;)

Apparently, this model requires a Windows Vista recovery DVD.
    DVD Recovery

Should your Windows develop serious errors or fail to start, you can restore your computer back to factory settings by using the Recovery DVD you may have created or been sent.

To restore your computer back to factory settings, follow the steps below.

Start the computer with the Recovery DVD in the optical disc drive
    After the usual startup screen has vanished press a key when prompted to load from the DVD
    Select the language you wish to install (normally English is the only option)
    Once you have chosen your language you will be presented with the available recovery options
    Microsoft Repair Environment - after choosing the UK keyboard layout you will be asked to choose the Operating System you wish to repair. If Windows Vista is not listed then you cannot repair the OS without doing the full recovery. After choosing Vista the Microsoft Vista startup repair tool will run and attempt to repair any startup problems you are experiencing
    Reinstall Windows - gives you the options available to reinstall Vista
    Advanced Options - this launches the diagnostic centre allowing you to run chkdsk, launch notepad or bring up a command prompt
    Exit & restart computer - Exits withut running the recovery process
    To continue with the recovery program you need to choose Reinstall Windows
    On the next screen you have the ability to launch Vista System Restore and roll back to a date when Vista was last working ok or to run the Full Destructive Recovery. To continue with the recovery program you need to choose Start Full Destructive Recovery
    After choosing the Full Destructive Recovery option you are presented with the warning screen that all data will be lost. It is important to make sure all data has been backed up to disk if possible and to realise this process deletes all data and reverts the machine back to it's default state. To continue with the recovery program you need to tick the box indicating you are aware of data loss
    The recovery process will then run through, reinstalling Vista and also recreating the hard drive recovery system for future use.
    When it has finished copying files it will ask you to remove the DVD and then restart the computer. It will then go through setting up Vista, you will need to go through the Vista "Out of Box Experience". This is fairly straightforward so just follow the onscreen instructions

Advent??? Ouch... ;)

Apparently, this model requires a Windows Vista recovery DVD.

Advent! Yes and it weighs 3kg, ouch as right! and double ouch because I do not have a recovery dvd.

Back to:

Could I 'create a new account - make the new account the administrator account' and then delete my account? :D

You can just rename your account.

Delete all your files, then run Ccleaner as per above.

Or, if you prefer a fine Irish product, install Eraser and Erase Unused Space

bNxjjbs.jpg

Torqay - Will Eraser or Ccleaner remove MS Office because it is the primary reason one interested buyer is interested.

• Advertisement

No... neither software will "uninstall" any software.

(Ccleaner has an uninstall function but that's not what we're looking for here)

Advertisement