Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bassists !! How many of you use a pick ?

• 20-01-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I dont use one myself at the moment, but I'm considering it, for no other reason than to add to my tone/sound. I've read on some bass forums that plectrum players are considered somehow inferior by "real" (there's that word again ;) ) bassists. This would not put me off using one, as I consider it a load of s***e. If it suits the music, then what is the problem ? The legendary bassist Carol Kaye always uses one, and if it she is not a "real" bassist than I don't know who is.

I'm just curious if there is the same bias here towards bassists who use a pick.

Bass Players - Do you play with pick or fingers? 31 votes

Fingers only
    0%
    Pick only
    38%
    fuseRigsbyOK-Cancel-ApplymeganjkwalsheFleaman08marcin_platoSlugsMeeja IrelandTEMPLAR KNIGHTSouthTippBassBootsy. 12 votes
    Both, depending on the song
    9%
    bikothegrove54Thumbs_Down 3 votes
    Ibanez SR706
    51%
    Quatre MainsMaliceZombienoshGaspodenovarockParsleyDordTeh RusstubedudeAzphyxi8Ross McCelly SmuntFiftysixlalee17beng128auti 16 votes

Comments

• \Hands up

As long as suits the song, but one of my favourite sounds is the JJ Burnel, Mike Dirnt (early stuff) sound anyway. Not mad on rumbling bass sounds where it's barely audible in the background myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i rarely use one, though as papa smut said, if the song needs no plectrum then it gets none. +1 on monsieur burnell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Ibanez SR706
    I don't use one currently but I was in a covers band and I used the pick quiet a bit because the song called for that type of sound. This whole thing about real players don't use a pick is a pile of ****e. Real players know when to use it and when not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 marcin_plato

Pick only
    best bass players don't use plectrum. Bass guitar was invented as continuation to double bass. i can't imagine playing double bass using plectrum.

Examples such as M.Dirnt is a bad example. Punk rock bass players aren't highly skilled players. they possibly can't coordinate fingering that's why they use plectrum. it's a lot easier.

anyway. i don't advise to start your bass journey with plectrum. it might be hard to switch back to the right direction.

check Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, John Pattitucci to see what to do with bass.

Peace

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Pick only
    best bass players don't use plectrum. Bass guitar was invented as continuation to double bass. i can't imagine playing double bass using plectrum.

Examples such as M.Dirnt is a bad example. Punk rock bass players aren't highly skilled players. they possibly can't coordinate fingering that's why they use plectrum. it's a lot easier.

anyway. i don't advise to start your bass journey with plectrum. it might be hard to switch back to the right direction.

check Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, John Pattitucci to see what to do with bass.

Peace

M

Granted, the majority of bass players use finger style. However, prefering fingers to pick is not a recipe to being the "best" bassist. The right direction points in a different way to different people. IMO, the more skills you have at your disposel, and knowing when and where to use them, is what makes a player the "best".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Peace

M
    I disagree with your opinion on punks, i think plecs provide an aggressive tone when used appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

I don't use a plectrum very often myself, to be honest I'm a bit crap with one due to years playing with fingers only. This is a big weakness in my eyes as I am effectively ruling out a whole range of tones!!! It is definitely on my to-do list this year to get much better at plectrum playing.

I can't really agree that punk players aren't highly skilled. Mike Dirnt himself is quite a melodic player and you should check our Matt Freeman from Rancid for another fantastically talented player who plays punk.

A pick for these punk players is part of the ethos and style and as such is the weapon of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

In my experience it's about speed and tone, you can get a bright tone from your fingers if you adjust the settings the right way or play slap, and you can practice your fingers to get to that speed

Would I use a pick? Have done in covers bands, as has been said, where the original bassist used one on the record, on originals, never! A little part of me died when I saw the Chilis in Landsdowne in 2002 and they played Parallel Universe and Flea was using a pick.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 a9ismine

anyone know any good bass guitar teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

DerKaiser wrote: »
    A little part of me died when I saw the Chilis in Landsdowne in 2002 and they played Parallel Universe and Flea was using a pick.........

Listening to the record, its obvious he's using a pick.

It'd be impossible to get that tone and note consistency otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Pick only
    Roger Glover - another pick user. I don't know, I prefer finger style. Playing with a pick doesn't give that fat sound I like.

Pick only
    Thanks for all the replies so far lads. Naturally every one will have their preferences, for whatever reason. What I'm also curious about is, do you think some one who uses a pick is some how inferior or not up to the standard of a finger style player ?

judas101 wrote: »
    Listening to the record, its obvious he's using a pick.

It'd be impossible to get that tone and note consistency otherwise.

I can play it with fingers and I'll bet Steve Harris could too, Flea was being lazy in my book

Rigsby wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies so far lads. Naturally every one will have their preferences, for whatever reason. What I'm also curious about is, do you think some one who uses a pick is some how inferior or not up to the standard of a finger style player ?

There is no reason why a bassist that uses a pick should be inferior to one who doesn't, it's just that the majority of bass players that play with fingers are better, in most cases it's endurance for me, when something is fast and repetative it's easier to use a pick, but you can achieve it with fingers if you really put in the wrist exploding practice, 3 fingers in theory can play faster than one pick once you get them up to speed, bloody hard work though, but if you think somethings worth doing, then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

the thing i don't like about pics is i don't get the same feel for what i'm playing as when i use my fingers.

I can play it with fingers and I'll bet Steve Harris could too, Flea was being lazy in my book

Wouldnt sound the same.

Fingerstyle would sound too low and rumbley.

I use both but as others have said, tone is a factor is choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Ibanez SR706
    Rigsby wrote: »
    I dont use one myself at the moment, but I'm considering it, for no other reason than to add to my tone/sound. I've read on some bass forums that plectrum players are considered somehow inferior by "real" (there's that word again ;) ) bassists. This would not put me off using one, as I consider it a load of s***e. If it suits the music, then what is the problem ? The legendary bassist Carol Kaye always uses one, and if it she is not a "real" bassist than I don't know who is.

I'm just curious if there is the same bias here towards bassists who use a pick.
    I use both pick and fingers. When I started playing the bass I used the pick exclusively but then as I found myself devoting time towards playing the guitar I found it became easier to switch between the instruments if I only or mostly used my fingers for playing bass. I find most metal songs quite difficult to play with my fingers but for slower paced stuff I'll generally use my fingers. I find the tactile response of the strings easier to get to grips with (pardon the pun) when playing fingerstyle.

I also hate the elitism that's displayed towards bass players that don't use their fingers - as if there's not many, many other things for people to get their panties in a bunch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Ibanez SR706
    I've added a poll. I'm curious to see what way the preferences break down.

Pick only
    it's just that the majority of bass players that play with fingers are better

Maybe, maybe not. If so than it could be because there is a bigger pool to choose from, as the vast majority play with fingers. It may not be the case if the numbers were more even.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Ibanez SR706
    there are some excellent players who use picks - Glenn Hughes, Dave Ellefson, Doug Pinnick (a particular fav of mine) to name 3.

I find myself that it depends on the type of music you're playing. For metal I find you can't beat the attack of a pick unless you're Steve Harris whose technique and tone is unreal. There's so much use of low notes in rock and metal (often with few note changes) that the bass can get a little muddy using fingers. I would love to be faster with my fingers - I'm trying to get the 3-finger technique down at present with VERY little success. Playing with fingers gives you the flexibility to go from 'regular' plying to slap and back without rummagng in the pockets, and is also great for playing 'disco octaves' as I call them a la Jamiroquai etc I'm learning some early Whitesnake stuff at present (Neil Murray) which is great for helping the right hand as well (I am loath to use the term 'fingering techniques', it sounds plain wrong lol)

• Advertisement

judas101 wrote: »
    Wouldnt sound the same.

Fingerstyle would sound too low and rumbley.

I use both but as others have said, tone is a factor is choosing.

I use all treble when I play funk bass, it doesn't sound bassy or rumbley in the slightest

Malice_ wrote: »
    I also hate the elitism that's displayed towards bass players that don't use their fingers - as if there's not many, many other things for people to get their panties in a bunch over.

I'm not being elitist, anything but, BUT, the majority of bass players out there that are good, the lions share of em use fingers, likewise of the bad bass players, the majority use picks, there are plenty of good guys using picks, but let's look at Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Flea, Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, Mark King... any of those who use picks use them sparingly

Bass is all about versatility, how can you switch from straight picking to slap or fingertaps with a pick in your hand? Anyone who discounts those styles of bassplaying is losing out on the whole mystery of the bass, the bass is one of the most interesting instruments on the planet, because of unconventional playing of this magnificent piece of wood and metal, it's not just an accompanient instrument but to learn how to use it you have to think outside the box, and the box contains a pick....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I think it does come down to choice of tone. How would a Tool song sound id Justin Chancellor used his fingers and as mentioned Mike Dirnt is by no means an inferior bassist. That said, despite coming to the bass from guitar, I never use a pick except to mess around. Even if the song originally had a bass player using a pick, I still use my fingers just because I find it easier.

Also there was a discussion of famous bass players who used picks over on Talkbass. Including John Entwistle, Paul McCartney and even Billy Sheehan and Stu Hamm on occasion.

Bass is all about versatility,

Yes and part of that is using the right tools for the job. If a song calls for a picked bass line, why would you use your fingers? A truly versatile player would use both fingers and pick as required.

Adyx wrote: »
    Yes and part of that is using the right tools for the job. If a song calls for a picked bass line, why would you use your fingers? A truly versatile player would use both fingers and pick as required.

I'm confident in speed and tone that I never need a pick, I disagree

So you're saying there is NO difference tonally between your playing when you use a pick or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

Ibanez SR706
    I've only started playing bass, been playing guitar for 3 and half years and the obvious thing would just to be go for the pick but i prefer the sound with fingers and besides it's the proper way to play. I do use pick too but only for certain songs

As am I. Like I said, I play almost exclusively with my fingers because that's the tone I prefer a lot of the time and because I find it easier. That said, if I thought a song warranted the use of a pick then I would use one. You cannot, in my opinion achieve the sound of playing with a pick using your fingers. Speed shouldn't even come into it.
    Ross Mc wrote: »
    I've only started playing bass, been playing guitar for 3 and half years and the obvious thing would just to be go for the pick but i prefer the sound with fingers and besides it's the proper way to play. I do use pick too but only for certain songs

To be honest saying it's the proper way to play is a bit ridiculous. It's not "proper" to fret notes with your thumb either but it can expand your playing and give you options that weren't there before.

How you play is purely a matter of personal preference. There's no right or wrong way in my opinion. Like the OP I too am considering of experimenting with a pick because it's a newish technique for me to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

Ibanez SR706
    yeah but personally i think tonally fingers sound better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

Ibanez SR706
    I'm a fingerstyle player primarily but when (after searching everywhere between the bridge and the neck using different finger positions and pup configurations for the best tone for any particular piece I am working on) I can't find the tone, I will try one of the five different gauge picks I always carry with me.

I believe any musician will get their perfect tone by any means possible. A pick is just a tool and it creates a sound on the bass that fingers just can't physically produce.

Just face it lads, your fingers cannot possible sound like plastic no matter how tight you close your eyes and make believe.

True, most of the best bassists use their fingers. Maybe they didn't want that pick sound or maybe they were just too lazy to learn how to use one effectively in the first place!

Someone mentioned Flea's bass line in Parallel Universe earlier. I remember reading an interview with him in one of the bassist magazines when Californication was first released where he spoke about each track. I distinctly remember him saying that the original idea for the song Parallel Universe came about one day when he was practicing with a pick. I'm sure most of you would agree that Flea is one of the very best bassists that ever lived, you'd also probably agree that the bass line for Parallel Universe is pretty crackin' too.

If you have never used a pick you really should try it and if you dismiss it entirely you are really missing out!!

Advertisement